New moderator announcements - please mark them Off-topic (Staff: they are not off-topic)
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:53
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Aug 4, 2009

I don't mean to be rude, but would it be possible for the new moderators to mark the topic (thread) "Off-topic" where they announced/announce their new role in their respective forums?
Some new Mods did that and it makes reading the recent topics list much easier, as the off-topic threads are colored differently.
Thread that are posted already can still be marked "Off-topic" with a click of a box.

Thank you
Katalin

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009
... See more
I don't mean to be rude, but would it be possible for the new moderators to mark the topic (thread) "Off-topic" where they announced/announce their new role in their respective forums?
Some new Mods did that and it makes reading the recent topics list much easier, as the off-topic threads are colored differently.
Thread that are posted already can still be marked "Off-topic" with a click of a box.

Thank you
Katalin

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-08-05 00:22 GMT]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
+ 1 Aug 4, 2009

I congratulate new moderators. However, I find that, today, there are more threads about them on the homepage than about anything else. This is taking up a lot of room, and a lot of it is redundant. I don't think that announcing new moderators is that important. If I don't see those threads, I will still see their names at the bottom of threads they are in charge of...

Had there been a level of communication similar to this about the ongoing identity theft most ProZ users are victim
... See more
I congratulate new moderators. However, I find that, today, there are more threads about them on the homepage than about anything else. This is taking up a lot of room, and a lot of it is redundant. I don't think that announcing new moderators is that important. If I don't see those threads, I will still see their names at the bottom of threads they are in charge of...

Had there been a level of communication similar to this about the ongoing identity theft most ProZ users are victims of, I wouldn't be waiting for a reply to a support ticket I opened just so ProZ lets me know what's up with it.

It would be nice to get the site's priorities in logical order...
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Funny Aug 4, 2009

I find it amusing to see how fast this thread was dropped off the homepage. Probably as fast as new mod announcements are coming in...

Yawn!

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:53
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
These announcements are not off-topic Aug 5, 2009

The "off topic" label is used for the "tolerated exceptions" to the ProZ.com's Scope.

That page states that content posted on or via ProZ.com should be limited to the following areas:

* language services (translation, interpreting, etc.)
* language services business issues
* general business issues pertinent to site users
* language
* the ProZ.com site
* the ProZ.com community
... See more
The "off topic" label is used for the "tolerated exceptions" to the ProZ.com's Scope.

That page states that content posted on or via ProZ.com should be limited to the following areas:

* language services (translation, interpreting, etc.)
* language services business issues
* general business issues pertinent to site users
* language
* the ProZ.com site
* the ProZ.com community

The announcement of a moderator presenting him/herself as such in the forum he/she will moderate is a matter related to the site and its community and therefore it is an "on topic" subject.

The new concept of a moderators class has resulted on a high concentration of such messages in a sort time. Forums are likely to return to their normal activity in a very short time.

Regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Off-topic, on-topic, site scope, usefulness, pleasant environment? Aug 5, 2009

Enrique,
While a summary announcement about the new mods (like the one Jared made) is definitely on-topic in this particular forum (Translator Coop), I fail to see how individual announcements in the respective forums (how many are out there?) are on-topic in their respective forums.
I would say they fall more like under the category of "greetings", which is one of the listed "tolerated exceptions" in the ProZ.com scope document. So, I say, whether these greetings are on-topic or of
... See more
Enrique,
While a summary announcement about the new mods (like the one Jared made) is definitely on-topic in this particular forum (Translator Coop), I fail to see how individual announcements in the respective forums (how many are out there?) are on-topic in their respective forums.
I would say they fall more like under the category of "greetings", which is one of the listed "tolerated exceptions" in the ProZ.com scope document. So, I say, whether these greetings are on-topic or off-topic, is pretty subjective.
Some people argued these announcements are not even necessary, and annoying.
I never said that, and I would not say that, as it may be a good idea to do a self-intro.
Even if we accept it that they are "on-topic", don't you think it would actually help site users to mark them as off-topic this time (with so many announcements at the same time)?
It is a matter of practicality to mark them off-topic as the only differentiation on the Recent Topics page is the color, and it makes it much easier to see the "real" topics if these intros are colored differently.

Perhaps, if I suggested to implement yet another new color for "administrative postings" to achieve the same effect, then we would not have to argue about whether these are on-topic or off-topic, but I guess implementing a suggestion would take some time and that would not be practical.

In some forums the users welcome the new Mods, which is a nice thing but that means the thread will pop back onto the recent topics list as soon as a new "welcome, good luck etc." response is received on those threads. Or are those threads going to be locked soon to prevent this (which would be another solution to the problem at hand)?

Enrique, don't you see that the innocent attempts by individual new Mods to start out on the job on a good note can backfire when combined with impracticality? And it is not their "fault".

Perhaps it is a case where it makes practical sense to deviate from "the rules".
After all, what is the disadvantage of marking these announcements in the individual subject-specific forums as "off-topic"?

Katalin

[Edited at 2009-08-05 01:29 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New moderator announcements - please mark them Off-topic (Staff: they are not off-topic)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »