New book of Rilke translations by 14 ProZ.com translators
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 15:55
SITE STAFF
Aug 25, 2009

Dear members,

I am happy to announce that a new book has been published, in which 14 translators on ProZ.com have participated.

The following ProZ.com members have taken part in translations of Stories of God, by Rainer Maria Rilke, along with contributing essays on the art of translation and their approach to it:<
... See more
Dear members,

I am happy to announce that a new book has been published, in which 14 translators on ProZ.com have participated.

The following ProZ.com members have taken part in translations of Stories of God, by Rainer Maria Rilke, along with contributing essays on the art of translation and their approach to it:

A brief description of this book, with links to see more in-depth information and to purchase, has been added to http://www.proz.com/books . I encourage everyone to take a moment and have a look.

Congratulations to these translators for forming part of this very interesting project!

I'd like to thank Katarina Peters for bringing this work to my attention, and Jack Beacham of Aventure Works, Inc. for his kindness and help in featuring the book on the ProZ.com books page.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting and beautiful project Aug 26, 2009

Hello Jared and "Stories of God" translators,

Just based on your comment here, Jared, and the corresponding description in the Proz.com bookshop page, this looks like both an interesting and beautiful project. The essays about the translation part sound quite promising.

It would be interesting (just out of curiosity) to learn how the idea of the project was developed.

I must confess that, although I like poetry in general (though mostly in my mother-tongue)
... See more
Hello Jared and "Stories of God" translators,

Just based on your comment here, Jared, and the corresponding description in the Proz.com bookshop page, this looks like both an interesting and beautiful project. The essays about the translation part sound quite promising.

It would be interesting (just out of curiosity) to learn how the idea of the project was developed.

I must confess that, although I like poetry in general (though mostly in my mother-tongue), I had never read any of Rilke's translations into Spanish and only recently started reading some (a couple poems) of his poetry (in German, with lots of dictionary/German friend's help ), mostly thanks to a series of CDs (called "Rilke Projekt") that were produced in Germany, with famous actors/actresses/singers who either recited or sung some of Rilke's poems, with a beautiful (though rather very sad or even nostalgic in some cases) background of music.

I look forward to reading this book.

Kindest regards,

Ivette

[Edited at 2009-08-26 08:27 GMT]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Check out the introduction Aug 26, 2009

Hi Ivette,

Actually, Jack gives some interesting details about how this project came to be in the introduction to the book, which is also published here: http://geschichtenvomliebengott.com/wp/introduction/ . I should mention that on those pages you can see more about the book itself as well as the translators who are involved.

Best regards,

Jare
... See more
Hi Ivette,

Actually, Jack gives some interesting details about how this project came to be in the introduction to the book, which is also published here: http://geschichtenvomliebengott.com/wp/introduction/ . I should mention that on those pages you can see more about the book itself as well as the translators who are involved.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:25
German to English
I hope to read the book too Aug 26, 2009

Congratulations to all the translators involved in the project.

It's a pity the 0.02 per word discussion thread is getting more replies than this one. Wonderful assignments such as this certainly deserve more attention.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
Started reading backwards Aug 26, 2009

Jared wrote:

Hi Ivette,

Best regards,

Jared

Hi again, Jared,

Silly/clumsy me, I started reading (in the bookshop page about the book) first the bios. about the translators, etc., instead of reading the intro. first.

Anyway, it's great that Proz.com has decided to include this book as part of their bookshop offers.

Cheers,

Ivette

Ramesh Kulandaivel
Ramesh Kulandaivel
India
Local time: 00:25
English to Tamil
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Tamil Translation Sep 15, 2009

Dear Jared,

Nice to know about the success of the Project. I am interested in taking up the project in Tamil Langauge. If it is possible to provide the translation, please let me know about the procedures and formalities that need to be fulfilled.

regards,

Ramesh

Jared wrote:

Dear members,

The following ProZ.com members have taken part in translations of Stories of God, by Rainer Maria Rilke, along with contributing essays on the art of translation and their approach to it:

A brief description of this book, with links to see more in-depth information and to purchase, has been added to http://www.proz.com/books . I encourage everyone to take a moment and have a look.

Congratulations to these translators for forming part of this very interesting project!

I'd like to thank Katarina Peters for bringing this work to my attention, and Jack Beacham of Aventure Works, Inc. for his kindness and help in featuring the book on the ProZ.com books page.

Best regards,

Jared

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
You might try contacting the publisher Sep 15, 2009

Hello Ramesh,

ProZ.com is not involved in the book or the project itself, so I'm afraid I cannot help you with that. The editor is Jack Beacham of Aventure Works, Inc. You may be able to get in touch with him or someone at Aventure by fo
... See more
Hello Ramesh,

ProZ.com is not involved in the book or the project itself, so I'm afraid I cannot help you with that. The editor is Jack Beacham of Aventure Works, Inc. You may be able to get in touch with him or someone at Aventure by following the "Read more" link for the book at http://www.proz.com/books or directly at http://geschichtenvomliebengott.com/wp/

As a side note, for those members who have published works and are interested in gaining exposure for them, please feel free to contact me via the support system. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New book of Rilke translations by 14 ProZ.com translators

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »