Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 14, 2009

I have just received a message with subject "ProZ.com Online SDL Approved Training - Don't be fooled by imitators!"

Among the so called training courses there is one called:

"Upgrade from SDL Trados 2007 to SDL Trados Suite 2009"

Does this means that ProZ is asking $99 to teach us how to buy SDL upgrades?

Considering the way SDL is behaving, both as Software Provider and Language Service Provider, I disagree with this kind of association betw
... See more
I have just received a message with subject "ProZ.com Online SDL Approved Training - Don't be fooled by imitators!"

Among the so called training courses there is one called:

"Upgrade from SDL Trados 2007 to SDL Trados Suite 2009"

Does this means that ProZ is asking $99 to teach us how to buy SDL upgrades?

Considering the way SDL is behaving, both as Software Provider and Language Service Provider, I disagree with this kind of association between ProZ and SDL.

I believe that there is a conflict of interest in this whole business. But with the above course all limits have been crossed and ProZ should rethink their policy.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-09-14 18:16 GMT]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:06
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Reading is not bad Sep 14, 2009

Would you have read the topics covered by the training, the question would not be necessaty anymore.
Upgrade course does simply cover the methods how to move from SDL Trados 2007 to SDL Trados 2009 and how to use the features in new product, which is very different from the old one.
Providing courses for the translation industry is a bad deal? Ok, if you feel so.
But ProZ is certainly not providing only SDL Trados courses. There is a variety of different learn topics.

Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
On SDL Trados Training and Certification Program Sep 14, 2009

Dear Luca,

Thanks for your question.

This course is designed for existing users of SDL Trados 2007 and teaches attendees how to use the new features and functionality of SDL Trados Studio 2009. Those who attend will also learn the most efficient ways to upgrade their existing SDL Trados 2007 resources, i.e. upgrading translation memories, termbases, and tag settings files to the new format.
This course is the first step in understanding how to leverage the full po
... See more
Dear Luca,

Thanks for your question.

This course is designed for existing users of SDL Trados 2007 and teaches attendees how to use the new features and functionality of SDL Trados Studio 2009. Those who attend will also learn the most efficient ways to upgrade their existing SDL Trados 2007 resources, i.e. upgrading translation memories, termbases, and tag settings files to the new format.
This course is the first step in understanding how to leverage the full power of SDL Trados Studio 2009 to increase your productivity. The course also shows participants how to handle scenarios that involve both users of SDL Trados Studio 2009 and user of SDL Trados 2007.

I invite you to check the program of this course at the next upcoming session here: http://www.proz.com/training/upgrade_from_sdl_trados_2007_to_sdl_trados_studio_2009-2009.html

You can also see upcoming sessions in other levels and languages here: http://www.proz.com/online_trainings/sdl

Please note that these training sessions are part of the SDL TRADOS Certification program which enables individual translators and project managers to validate their knowledge and expertise in the use of SDL Trados products. Achieving SDL TRADOS Certification demonstrates that you are fully prepared to work with the world’s leading translation technology.

Offering approved SDL Trados training with certification exams is yet another way to deliver on ProZ.com's mission to provide members with opportunities to improve their work and distinguish themselves as professionals in the language industry. ProZ.com actively provides training on all tools.

Thanks for your support of the site,

Soledad Azcona
ProZ.com Training Coordinator
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I read in the topics Sep 14, 2009

Dear Soledad an Jerzy,
Thank you for your replies. This is what I make of the course description: [Pay $99 and] Learn why you should buy and use SDL next offer - by Proz.com.

I am not against courses for the translation industry. I appreciated other courses. But these topics do not sound right:

This course is the first step in understanding how to leverage the full power of SDL Trados Studio 2009 to increase your productivity.
- Improve
... See more
Dear Soledad an Jerzy,
Thank you for your replies. This is what I make of the course description: [Pay $99 and] Learn why you should buy and use SDL next offer - by Proz.com.

I am not against courses for the translation industry. I appreciated other courses. But these topics do not sound right:

This course is the first step in understanding how to leverage the full power of SDL Trados Studio 2009 to increase your productivity.
- Improved user interface
- All functionality integrated within the SDL Trados Studio 2009 application

. ..
This gibberish stuff is normally published by the producer, at his expenses, in order to convince potential clients to buy their products.

Upgrading SDL Trados 2007 Translation Memories
This should be on the upgrade manual page 1 (hopefully)

What is an AutoSuggest™ Dictionary
Publicity Again (it is up to SDL to convince us that it is as good as they maintain).

I do not really like the cross-linked sponsoring implied in the words "Proz.com SDL approved Training" (followed by "don't be fooled by imitators"). On top of all this, you are going to offer the colleagues who are paying for this 3 hours conference some kind of advantage within the Proz.com Job system. I might be wrong but, given current SDL business practices, all this just makes me feel uncomfortable about what ProZ is becoming.

I believe that it is all to easy to hijack this site for the sake of private interests of single companies, and all members should be actively watching against this risk. I am just trying not to remain silent. I also sincerely hope that Henry will see the above and keep it in some account.

[Edited at 2009-09-14 22:12 GMT]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:06
SITE STAFF
Every effort is made to provide benefit and value to site members Sep 15, 2009

Hello Luca,

I am sorry to hear you were upset by this email. While I see why some of the wording may have caused a reaction in some, I would like to point out a few things which may help put this in context.

The fact that ProZ.com has become an approved training center for Trados and Trados certification is good news for many who want to get certified. They can do it online, and at a reduced price. Should other CAT tool companies begin to offer certification, it would b
... See more
Hello Luca,

I am sorry to hear you were upset by this email. While I see why some of the wording may have caused a reaction in some, I would like to point out a few things which may help put this in context.

The fact that ProZ.com has become an approved training center for Trados and Trados certification is good news for many who want to get certified. They can do it online, and at a reduced price. Should other CAT tool companies begin to offer certification, it would be reasonable to assume that ProZ.com would work to offer this benefit to its members as well. A conscious effort is made to provide value to members (see the Translator Group Buys for another example).

ProZ.com currently offers training sessions in a variety of CAT tools (and in other areas which are of interest to language professionals). These training sessions are offered by demand, so anyone who would like to see a particular training session offered only needs to propose it. Similar promotional emails for these sessions are also sent to those who have subscribed to this type of notification.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Sep 16, 2009

Dear Jared,

I understand ProZ position in this matter better now.

Best regards,
Luca

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recent email message promoting ProZ.com online SDL approved training sessions

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »