ProZ.com presence at the ATA conference?
Thread poster: Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:15
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 23, 2009

I am not sure whether this is the right forum to post this, so please move it if needed.

I am wondering if ProZ.com will be present at the ATA Annual Conference in NYC next week.
I did not see ProZ listed as an exhibitor on the conference website.

Katalin

vorloff
vorloff
Bosnian to English
+ ...
ProZ not at ATA conference Nov 3, 2009

Not only did ProZ not exhibit, but I didn't even see any staff listed in the attendee book. Very strange since they are based in NY. Their silence to your post is also a bit odd...

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yeah, I know Nov 3, 2009

I asked before the conference, because I wanted to know if I should search for them there - they were not around in any shape or form.

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
ProZ.com was not present at the ATA Annual conference in New York Nov 3, 2009

Hello Katalin and Vera,

I apologize for the delay in my reply.

In effect, ProZ.com was not present in the ATA Annual Conference this year.

Maybe the next one?

Thanks for bearing staff in mind though.

Regards,

Lucia

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:15
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you for confirming ProZ's absence ... Nov 3, 2009

... but I, for one, am more interested in why ProZ wasn't present or represented at such a major industry event. Any specific reason?

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
But why should Proz be present? Nov 4, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

... but I, for one, am more interested in why ProZ wasn't present or represented at such a major industry event. Any specific reason?

I myself, both a freelancer and representing a company, didn't attend. I'm in New York, only 30 minutes away from the conference site. I didn't attend just because I didn't feel any need to attend.

[Edited at 2009-11-04 01:34 GMT]

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ProZ was an exhibitor at past conferences Nov 4, 2009

Since ProZ was an exhibitor at past conferences (at least at the last two, in San Francisco and Orlando, for sure), I kind of "expected" a presence, especially that NYC is a lot closer to ProZ headquarters than any of the previous ATA conference locations.

As to:
But why should Proz be present?
I myself, both a freelancer and representing a company, didn't attend. I'm in New York, only 30 minutes away from the conference site. I didn't attend just because I didn't feel any need to attend.

That's fine, but I think (correct me, if I am wrong) you, jyuan_us, represent a lot smaller chunk of the translation market, than ProZ does. When a company has a strong market presence, a well known brand, it is usually a strategic decision whether to exhibit at a large event or not, and the decision involves a bit more than "feel any need".

Katalin

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
If the company is already well-known, Nov 4, 2009

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

When a company has a strong market presence, a well known brand, it is usually a strategic decision whether to exhibit at a large event or not, and the decision involves a bit more than "feel any need".

Katalin

Why should they attend?

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Do I need to explain? Nov 4, 2009

I did not say ProZ should attend the ATA conferences.
All I said I expected to see it.

As to your question:
If the company is already well-known,
Why should they attend?

Please ask Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, Logitec, etc. why they attend the International Consumer Electronics Show?
Ask Toyota, Honda why they attend the Tokyo Auto Show (currently underway)?

They are all well-known in those industries...

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 13:15
SITE STAFF
This year's ATA conference Nov 4, 2009

Hello all,

Drew, who has generally handled this in the past, is currently in Argentina, and focus was being given to organizing the virtual conference, so unfortunately this time around plans could not be made to attend. As Lucía says, hopefully next time.

Best regards,

Jared

Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2009)
French to English
Some small presence Nov 5, 2009

A ProZian did make a brief announcement at the French Language Division meeting regarding a conference in Nice. It did sound nice, but it is too far away, too much, and too soon after the ATA conference for me to consider attending.

This was my first ATA conference and I will admit that I was hoping to say hello to the ProZ team. Perhaps next year.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZ.com presence at the ATA conference?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »