Thread poster: Linda Ildevert (X)
Linda Ildevert (X)
Linda Ildevert (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
French to English
Jan 9, 2004

Hi,
I am thinking of purchasing Trados. I have done the Trados tutorial and it looks relatively uncomplicated.
Would you advise me to do a training course before starting?
Also, how does pricing work with Trados? Is it linked to the number of matches found? The more the matches the cheaper the translation?
Thanks for your advice.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:41
English to German
+ ...
Search the forums for "fuzzy matches" Jan 9, 2004

Hi eden,
Would you advise me to do a training course before starting?

From my personal perspective, clearly yes.

Also, how does pricing work with Trados? Is it linked to the number of matches found? The more the matches the cheaper the translation?

This is probably one of most hotly debated issues - use the forum search function on the left, using "fuzzy matches" or "fuzzy match discounts", and you'll find quite a few threads on this issue.

Best regards, Ralf

Tobi
Tobi
English to German
+ ...
translationzone.com Jan 9, 2004

hi eden,

you find lots of information about training and working with trados at www.translationzone.com
you find also articles about trados pricing like the trados 100/60/30 rule. this means that you charge the full rate (100%) for no match or matches below 75%, 60% of your rate for matches between 75% and 99%, and 30% of your rate for repetitions and 100% matches.

i work wi
... See more
hi eden,

you find lots of information about training and working with trados at www.translationzone.com
you find also articles about trados pricing like the trados 100/60/30 rule. this means that you charge the full rate (100%) for no match or matches below 75%, 60% of your rate for matches between 75% and 99%, and 30% of your rate for repetitions and 100% matches.

i work with trados and can recommend it definitely to improve the quality of your translations, ensure consistency throughout your project, and - last but not least - speed up your work.

best regards,

tobi
Collapse

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Buy a used one Jan 12, 2004

Buying Trados 5, 5.5 or 6 will be enough to help you get more jobs. These versions should be on the second hand marked.

My point is that after grading different CAT-tools, Trados is not by far the one with the highest grading. If you compare all the functions with Wordfast you will find that Proz users gave a total of 3.51 against Wordfast 4.04 which means that the users of the CAT is more satisfied with Wordfast than with Trados.

I own both, and have the same experienc
... See more
Buying Trados 5, 5.5 or 6 will be enough to help you get more jobs. These versions should be on the second hand marked.

My point is that after grading different CAT-tools, Trados is not by far the one with the highest grading. If you compare all the functions with Wordfast you will find that Proz users gave a total of 3.51 against Wordfast 4.04 which means that the users of the CAT is more satisfied with Wordfast than with Trados.

I own both, and have the same experience. I use Trados mostly for promotional gain. Trados is the most common and best marketed tool in the industry, and many agencies use it. On the other hand, I do not thing it was programmed from a translators viewpoint...especially regarding reuse of terminology for projects.

To sum up: A CAT-tool is a must, but have a look at http://www.proz.com/?sp=cat/compare

[Edited at 2004-01-12 11:52]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting started with Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »