Niemcy
Local time: 05:21
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

angielski > słoweński
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I believe ... Dec 29, 2008

I bet you are looking for a trial version. Nowhere to be found. I could be wrong but I believe there once was such a trial version.

I remember one could still do a limited amount of work - like fill TM with up to 100 segments - without the license.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 04:21
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
I thought it was 200 Dec 29, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:
I remember one could still do a limited amount of work - like fill TM with up to 100 segments - without the license.

While that isn't generous enough to do any serious work, it's good enough to get a feel for how the program works, compare it with alternatives and make an informed purchasing decision. However, that's probably exactly what SDL is afraid of: informed decisions.

It really is a shame that it's so hard for most people to find the "demo" version of Trados today. It would be more than enough to use in training courses which might ultimately result in more sales and more competent new users.

Aside from the ghastly ergonomics of SDL Trados software, probably one of the biggest sources of trouble for new users is that they make their purchasing decisions based not on what the software can actually do or what it is like to work with, but because they are told "it's the standard" or they are made to fear they won't get work without it. It is this disreputable, fear-mongering approach that has really turned me off to this software for a long time, even though I use it competently and understand its value in particular contexts. However, the policies of the company are truly shameful in many cases and should continue to be made clear in comparison with appropriate alternatives.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
francuski > polski
+ ...
Multiterm trial... Dec 29, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

Vito Smolej wrote:

While that isn't generous enough to do any serious work, it's good enough to get a feel for how the program works, compare it with alternatives and make an informed purchasing decision.

Me too, I think it's enough.
It's just a trial.
I prefer this kind of trial to 30-days ones 'cause I never have enough time to test 'em because of some urgent job...

However, that's probably exactly what SDL is afraid of: informed decisions.

Yep.

Probably it's the reason why the trial didn't include the new Multiterm which is the most buggy part of the package
Only the old clumsy but bulletproof MT5 (it was provided up to T2006).
And, starting from the T2007 (yes, the T2007 trial was officially available for some months), it didn't contain MT at all...

Of course, they can argue in these time MT Desktop was not protected against the piracy etc. but it's a very strange idea to offer a trial of a CAT tool without terminology management module...
They don't understand how we work or what?

Cheers
GG

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

angielski > słoweński
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Back to the original subject ... Dec 30, 2008

... of demonstrating TRADOS. The fundamental raw material for demonstrations is bilingual text and the safest (suggestion) is to use wikipedia material for it, like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_climbing

* Deutsch
* English
* Español
* Français
* Nederlands
* Polski
* Slovenščina
* Suomi... See more
... of demonstrating TRADOS. The fundamental raw material for demonstrations is bilingual text and the safest (suggestion) is to use wikipedia material for it, like

* Deutsch
* English
* Español
* Français
* Nederlands
* Polski
* Slovenščina
* Suomi
* Norge (bokmal)

The material can also be aligned to provide an import file and/or TM for further translations - my Slovenian countrymen for instance have done just half of it.

One can of course take literature as well (see www.gutenberg.org), but I dont think it this kind of a shoe would fit all legs.

Regards

Vito
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
francuski > polski
+ ...
Corpora... Dec 30, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

quote]
The problem is the Wikipedia material is not 1:1.
E.g. the Polish and English article you mention are clearly different.
If you want more flagrant example, see:
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Gesualdo
and
http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Gesualdo
One day, I should touch up the Polish version...

The material can also be aligned to provide an import file and/or TM for further translations - my Slovenian countrymen for instance have done just half of it.

One can of course take literature as well (see www.gutenberg.org), but I dont think it this kind of a shoe would fit all legs.

I propose the EUR-LEX.
E.g. the famous banana regulation:
http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31994R2257:EN:NOT
Not very difficult and you have a lot of fun

Cheers
GG

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 04:21
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Corpora for demos Dec 30, 2008

If the Wikipedia material isn't 1:1, you can always use it as a basis for producing your own translation for demo purposes.

Another source to consider is government documents and web sites. There are often available in multiple languages and are usually not subject to copyright considerations.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
angielski > węgierski
+ ...
TMs and confidentiality Dec 30, 2008

If someone needs a random TM, just download bits of the acquis TM. Why bother aligning or translating files when you the content is not relevant to you?

http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Niemcy
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

angielski > słoweński
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Exactly Dec 31, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

perfect for teaching purposes. You can use the two variants to
i) show, how alignment works
ii) show, what the pretranslation is all about
iii) have half- (but not 100%) useful TM

EuroLex is fine, but then you have the job already done, so it may be just a lecture on how to accumulate your TM assets.

Grzegorz Gryc
francuski > polski
+ ...
Parallel texts... Jan 2, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

perfect for teaching purposes. You can use the two variants to
i) show, how alignment works
ii) show, what the pretranslation is all about
iii) have half- (but not 100%) useful TM

You're right but a lot of Wikipedia articles are not parallel at all.
So, an alignement intent makes no sense.

EuroLex is fine, but then you have the job already done,

Ehm... I'm really lazy...
I just import the TM mentioned by Andras, i.e. http://langtech.jrc.it/DGT-TM.html
A splendid concordance TM.
Of course, it's too big to be used in a trial verson.

so it may be just a lecture on how to accumulate your TM assets.

In this case, I prefer more "parallel" texts.
E,g, it's a lot of parallel manuals published on Internet.

Cheers
GG

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados download demo?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »