Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
How to extract terminology from aligned documents using Multiterm?
Thread poster: Ivan Chamme
Ivan Chamme
Ivan Chamme
Local time: 19:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tooa many questions 😳 sorry Jan 17, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:
I believe MemoQ does this on-the-fly (using available translation memories), but I don't think MemoQ allows you to save the terminology so extracted.
It does allow to save the terminology so extracted, but it won't translate it too. And it is quite expectable because memoQ can't say which target word is the equivalent of the source. It only inserts translations where the candidate term is already a true term.

What is this memoQ function specifically?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Yet another CAT tool Jan 17, 2023

Ivan Chamme wrote:

Just asking, can I download this tool as an isolated app or is it part of another CAT tool?

It is one of the first CAT tools around.

BTW: In the Translator's Toolbox there recently was a mention of a terminology extraction SAAS.

How to use Sketch Engine to extract terminology from a document or parallel texts in just a few clicks (Column by Josh Goldsmith)
Ever received a hundred-page document and needed to find the key terms for your assignment – without reading the whole thing? 🤯

Or found a document and its translation, and wished you could use technology to automatically extract the key terminology from both versions?

You can!

In this article, I'll unpack how to use Sketch Engine's OneClick Terms to extract terms in no time flat.

Source: Tool Box Journal, Issue 22-12-343

[Edited at 2023-01-18 07:12 GMT]

Ivan Chamme
Ivan Chamme
Local time: 19:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let me clarify Jan 17, 2023

I'm not really looking for a software that can do the extraction automatically but I'm not being able to convert a TM with 50000 segments into a sdlxliff and display the segments to go throughout it and extract the terms myself in the editor view. It'd be wonderful to have a tool that attempts to do it automatically.

Thank you

[Edited at 2023-01-17 08:49 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 01:07
English to Russian
File type definition for TMX Jan 17, 2023

Ivan Chamme wrote:
What is this memoQ function specifically?
Open a document in memoQ, navigate to the Preparation tab, cick Extract Terms:

However, if you only need to open a TM in a 2-column format, you can convert your TM into TMX and then open it in Trados as a regular translatable file using this downloadable TMX file type.

UPDATE
With 50000 TUs, you probably may need this SDLXLIFF SplitMerge plugin too. It splits and merges sdlxliff files. Once both plugins installed, import your tmx file and click batch tasks to run the 'Split the selected files' task.
I could open a 343290-segment TM but it emits errors. I think 10 batches, 5000 TUs each, will suffice.

[Edited at 2023-01-17 13:19 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Thanks for your clarification Jan 18, 2023

Ivan Chamme wrote:

I'm not really looking for a software that can do the extraction automatically but I'm not being able to convert a TM with 50000 segments into a sdlxliff and display the segments to go throughout it and extract the terms myself in the editor view.

Since you seem to be open for other software, here is a demo with CafeTran Espresso with a TMX file with 412345 segment pairs open. There is no need to convert to SDLXLIFF: just open the TMX file and click on the source and target terms that you want to add to your glossary. You can convert this glossary to a Multiterm termbase with Glossary Converter from the RWS AppStore.

Demo:

Note to the Moderator: The OP has indicated that he is open for third-party software to accomplish his task.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to extract terminology from aligned documents using Multiterm?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »