Thread poster: Pradeep Neupane
Pradeep Neupane
Pradeep Neupane  Identity Verified
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
Aug 3, 2011

Dear All,

Can you please suggest me from where can i buy a translation companies database?

Is their any chances of getting more works after having translation companies database?

How much beneficial is buying of translation companies database?

Thank you all in advance...

Regards,
Pradeep

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:39
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Spamming... Aug 4, 2011

Unfortunately mass emails sent to translation companies are completely disregarded and in most cases are deleted unopened. Translation companies tend to find their candidates by posting jobs in websites (like proz.com) or contacting the suitable candidates they find themselves in association directories or websites.

If you plan to use the database to spam companies, I encourage you to think twice!

Pradeep Neupane
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
companies database Aug 4, 2011

Thank you Vladimir sir for information and link.

Regards,
Pradeep.

Pradeep Neupane
Member (2013)
English to Nepali
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
companies database Aug 4, 2011

Thank you Tomas for your valuable suggestion.

Regards,
Pradeep.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
What would be the point? Aug 5, 2011

Literary agents have a thing they name the slush pile, the landing zone for the unsolicited manuscripts they receive. If you randomly send your application and/or CV to hundreds or thousands of translation agencies, it doesn't matter if you do it by snail-mail or e-mail, it will end in their slush pile.

Think it over... if they had the time to read, sort, and file all the applications they received, it would mean they have nothing els
... See more
Literary agents have a thing they name the slush pile, the landing zone for the unsolicited manuscripts they receive. If you randomly send your application and/or CV to hundreds or thousands of translation agencies, it doesn't matter if you do it by snail-mail or e-mail, it will end in their slush pile.

Think it over... if they had the time to read, sort, and file all the applications they received, it would mean they have nothing else to do, in other words, no job to assign to you. If they are busy with lots of work, they won't have the time to read yours nor the other several hundred applications they get from translators every single day.

One viable option is to browse Proz and other similar online translation outsourcers databases to find those that work in your pair(s), visit their web sites, check if they have an online application form that feeds your data directly into a database and, if they do, fill it in! Whenever they have a job in your pair, your name & qualifications should appear in the list. Believe me, my first contact with some of my best current clients was done in this way.

Btw, if you use the Proz database, it's best to use the Blue Board, so you can simply skip the known scammers and bad payers, thus avoiding trouble down the road.
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
First things first Aug 5, 2011

Pradeep Neupane wrote:

Dear All,

Can you please suggest me from where can i buy a translation companies database?

Is their any chances of getting more works after having translation companies database?

How much beneficial is buying of translation companies database?

Thank you all in advance...

Regards,
Pradeep

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I note that you translate not only from English to Nepali, but also from Nepali to English, and yet your posting above contains at least eight errors of English in about 40 words. Sending one's details to agencies can work both ways. It provides them not only with the opportunity to see that it might be a good idea to try working with you, but also with the opportunity to assess whether it might be a good idea to avoid doing so. You do not want to make the effort of sending your details to agencies only for them to react by blacklisting you.

Whatever you send out should be well-written and should impress your reader, particularly if it is written in a language you claim as a target language. Most agencies will accept that a native-speaker level of proficiency is not necessary when a translator is writing in their source language. It is essential that your claims of what languages you can translate into are not called into question by the material you distribute to agencies, so it is best to be conservative in those claims. Nonetheless, material you send out in a source language should, ideally, be checked by a native-speaker. Remember that agencies also have access to your postings on these forums.

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Bad idea Aug 5, 2011

I am skeptic about such lists, as apparently somebody has added *me* to such a list (I am just a freelancer) and I get everyday requests from translators (and even agencies) asking me for work. They are of course marked immediately marked as spam. Thus, I question the quality of such lists.

In any case, a much easier way to get access to such lists is by being a member of a translator's website - in Proz, if you are a Platinum member, you can get access to the Blue Board with all th
... See more
I am skeptic about such lists, as apparently somebody has added *me* to such a list (I am just a freelancer) and I get everyday requests from translators (and even agencies) asking me for work. They are of course marked immediately marked as spam. Thus, I question the quality of such lists.

In any case, a much easier way to get access to such lists is by being a member of a translator's website - in Proz, if you are a Platinum member, you can get access to the Blue Board with all the details of the translation agencies. Or check out the Connect Directory. You have also a free list available at GoTranslators and Traduguide (members only). lai.com has also a very nice (free) list of translation agencies.

Another way is to get the info for free is to subscribe to payment practices lists - you can get a lot of information about agencies there. You can find a list of such payment practices lists at http://www.freelance-translator.info/payment.php

Alternatively, search simply in Google for "Translation agency", "translation agencies" or "list of translation agencies".

[Editado a las 2011-08-05 14:04 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Empty post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I want to buy translation companies database - suggestion

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »