Thread poster: Daniel McCosh
Daniel McCosh
Daniel McCosh
Germany
Local time: 00:34
German to English
Oct 3, 2011

Hi everyone,

When I'm researching terms for clients, I often end up searching an awful lot of websites at once. I'm well aware of IntelliWebSearch and the ProZ web search. I like the ProZ search because I can search a range of resources without visiting individual websites.

My favourite resources are IATE, dict.cc, leo.org, linguee, google (web search and machine translation), the WPO search engine for patents and ProZ. Has anybody got any tips for a web interface for
... See more
Hi everyone,

When I'm researching terms for clients, I often end up searching an awful lot of websites at once. I'm well aware of IntelliWebSearch and the ProZ web search. I like the ProZ search because I can search a range of resources without visiting individual websites.

My favourite resources are IATE, dict.cc, leo.org, linguee, google (web search and machine translation), the WPO search engine for patents and ProZ. Has anybody got any tips for a web interface for searching these resources at once? I don't want to reinvent the wheel and I realise that it's hard to keep these search tools up to date as the sites keep changing.

I would be grateful for any ideas (especially from anybody translating from German into English) before I start on my DIY efforts.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why bother? Oct 4, 2011

Daniel McCosh wrote:

Has anybody got any tips for a web interface for searching these resources at once?

Daniel

No offence intended, Daniel, but it seems to me that you are looking for "the moon on a stick". As you say, we already have a wealth of tools at our disposal and as an older translator, I am simply glad that we have access to all these online research resources which weren't around 20 years ago. The few seconds or minutes required switching from one site to another don't bother me, as the benefits far outweigh the shortcomings.

More haste, less speed.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
IATE? Oct 4, 2011

If you are fond of IATE (probably the biggest official mess) you should clearly keep looking for more resources. I strongly recommend that you invest on paper dictionaries specific for your main specialties. You will this way have access to carefully researched and sieved information instead of gambling with your terminology.

Good luck!

Daniel McCosh
Daniel McCosh
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I think I'll leave the moon where it is... Oct 4, 2011

Hi neilmac,

You make a valid point - it doesn't make that much of a difference switching between sites and at you can concentrate on one resource at a time.

Tomás - in defence of IATE, there are some useful terms in my subject areas and language pair. However, I am also aware that it has many shortcomings. I agree that subject dictionaries are incredibly useful and I use them regularly for researching terminology.

Thanks for your comments,

Da
... See more
Hi neilmac,

You make a valid point - it doesn't make that much of a difference switching between sites and at you can concentrate on one resource at a time.

Tomás - in defence of IATE, there are some useful terms in my subject areas and language pair. However, I am also aware that it has many shortcomings. I agree that subject dictionaries are incredibly useful and I use them regularly for researching terminology.

Thanks for your comments,

Daniel
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
English to French
+ ...
Try Multifultor? Oct 4, 2011

Multifultor (http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/205846-multifultor_is_the_new_intelliwebsearch.html) was recently suggested in another thread.

Since you work from German, it may suit your needs.

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
German to English
+ ...
Lexissimo Oct 4, 2011

This might be an option for you Daniel:

http://mutscheller.de/en/software/lexissimo/lexissimo.html

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Linguée Oct 4, 2011

And if one can certainly find fault with IATE, I'd be equally wary of Linguée; they do give large enough chunks of text to enable one to judge a bit of the context, and what I find most often is that generally, these betray the fact that the translations are awaful — so it does help one to judge, but even so, it is very useful to be able to give feedback using their system.

I've had occasion to use Linguée quite a lot lately, partly by way of an experiment, and I have to say tha
... See more
And if one can certainly find fault with IATE, I'd be equally wary of Linguée; they do give large enough chunks of text to enable one to judge a bit of the context, and what I find most often is that generally, these betray the fact that the translations are awaful — so it does help one to judge, but even so, it is very useful to be able to give feedback using their system.

I've had occasion to use Linguée quite a lot lately, partly by way of an experiment, and I have to say that for the particular terms I was looking for, there were more wrong than right entries — and I'm not talking about minor quibbles, I'm talking about downright errors, often howlers!
Collapse

Daniel McCosh
Daniel McCosh
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Linguee Oct 4, 2011

Linguee has got especially bad over the last year or so due to an avalanche of automatic alignments. As with any resource, all of the sites I mentioned should be used with a healthy portion of scepticism. All of them have their merits and pitfalls and it never hurts to point these out.

Thanks to Richard and JL01 for your suggestions. I'll take a look at those sites.

Kind regards,

Daniel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Searching for terminology

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »