New dictionary “Английский язык - вчера, сегодня и завтра”
Thread poster: Maia Rushbury
Maia Rushbury
Maia Rushbury  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 20, 2011

For native Russian and Ukrainian colleagues and for those whose Russian is not their mother tongue

I have recently attended a World Travel Market exhibition in London and was given a complimentary copy of a book “Английский язык - вчера, сегодня и завтра” (ISBN 5-9576-0037-7) by the author himself, Brian Lockett, who is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.

Still at the exhibition I spent some time flicking through the p
... See more
For native Russian and Ukrainian colleagues and for those whose Russian is not their mother tongue

I have recently attended a World Travel Market exhibition in London and was given a complimentary copy of a book “Английский язык - вчера, сегодня и завтра” (ISBN 5-9576-0037-7) by the author himself, Brian Lockett, who is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Linguists.

Still at the exhibition I spent some time flicking through the pages, reading the stories behind the origin of some common phrases and was unable to tear myself away from the book. I found this book as much entertaining as informative.

Have you ever thought of the origin of the following expressions: at the drop of a hat; basket case; a grass widow, bite the bullet, etc.? This book gives you an insight in the origin of these and many more common phrases and expressions.

I found this book compelling, amusing, delightful, absorbing. It is also a pleasure to read.

It serves as an excellent guide to both the language of everyday communication and to literary references which may not be immediately obvious.

It will help you extend your English vocabulary and at the same time introduce you to the realm of lively, amusing and occasionally risqué English common phrases and expressions.

I found out that copies of the book can be obtained from bookshops in the Russian Federation or from Amazon, but if you are in England you may find it more convenient to order it direct from Brian Lockett. For more information you can e-mail Brian Lockett at: [email protected] or simply google the book’s title.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New dictionary “Английский язык - вчера, сегодня и завтра”

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »