Anne Rémond
Anne Rémond
France
Local time: 06:53
English to French
+ ...
Jan 24, 2012

Bonjour,

je dois traduire un texte du XIXe siècle, et mon dictionnaire actuel ne semble pas faire état d'anciens usages de certains termes. C'est pourquoi je suis à la recherche d'un équivalent anglais du Littré. Auriez-vous des pistes à m'indiquer?

Je vous remercie.

Carole Paquis
Carole Paquis  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2007)
English to French
Chambers Jan 24, 2012

Personnellement, j'aime bien le Chambers.

Sinon, Oxford English Dictionary, ou OED, qu'on peut trouver en ligne à oed.com
Je crois qu'il existe une offre gratuite d'essai.

Bonne chance.

Carole

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
NS OED Jan 24, 2012

I agree with Carole — I have a CD-ROM version of the New Shorter OED, and it is of inestimable value for checking older, now abandoned usages.

I guess it really all depends on precisely what you need; for example, I often used to have to translate FR texts with (pretentiously!) obscure classical references, and I found an old 1930s' Columbia encyclopædia invaluable for that — notwithstanding the fact it was optimistically celebrating the accession of that nice Mr Hitler to the
... See more
I agree with Carole — I have a CD-ROM version of the New Shorter OED, and it is of inestimable value for checking older, now abandoned usages.

I guess it really all depends on precisely what you need; for example, I often used to have to translate FR texts with (pretentiously!) obscure classical references, and I found an old 1930s' Columbia encyclopædia invaluable for that — notwithstanding the fact it was optimistically celebrating the accession of that nice Mr Hitler to the German Chancellorship!

I found some sad omissions from my Petit Larousse — my old compact 1962 edition had got very dog-eared, so in 2003 I splashed out and bought the latest larger-format edition, especially because it reproduced many beautiful original plates. Obviously, it has a great deal of more up to date material in it — but I was also sad to see how even just dipping casually into it, I found quite a number of more classical itelms that had been cut. Glad now I didn't throw the old one away!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Equivalent anglais du Littré

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »