Aideen Rodrigues
Aideen Rodrigues  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 00:48
French to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2014

Hello all,

I'm hoping that some of the French-English translators may be able to help me.

I need to replace my ancient(!) Collins Robert, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should be replacing it with. I have tried on numerous occasions to contact Robert et Collins customer service, but to no avail Anyhow, I see that there are still some copies of the 2008 Grand Robert et Collins two volume set o
... See more
Hello all,

I'm hoping that some of the French-English translators may be able to help me.

I need to replace my ancient(!) Collins Robert, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to what I should be replacing it with. I have tried on numerous occasions to contact Robert et Collins customer service, but to no avail Anyhow, I see that there are still some copies of the 2008 Grand Robert et Collins two volume set on Amazon. Isn't 2008 a bit out of date though? Otherwise, I'm lost amidst the online, downloadable, hard copy versions. Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter? I'm prepared to buy both a digital and a hard copy version (will be needing hard copy version for IOL exams) but I just need a bit of a nudge in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Collapse

DAMIEN ALLO
DAMIEN ALLO  Identity Verified
France
English to French
harraps Oct 8, 2014

Hi there,
I've recently chosen Harraps' Unabridged in 2 volumes... (words in context, quotes, translations...) as well as Harrap's unabridged pro for PC.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:48
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Harraps Unabridged Oct 9, 2014

I've recently bought Harraps Unabridged French-English English-French dictionary, in two volumes, but it was extremely difficult to find. Foyles, contactable only through their on-line service (or in person at their London shop, I suppose) were absolutely useless!
Eventually, I got it through Amazon, whose customer services person was most helpful on the telephone - an actual human being! (help line 0800 496 1081). Apparently, there was only ONE copy left, which I secured, via a firm calle
... See more
I've recently bought Harraps Unabridged French-English English-French dictionary, in two volumes, but it was extremely difficult to find. Foyles, contactable only through their on-line service (or in person at their London shop, I suppose) were absolutely useless!
Eventually, I got it through Amazon, whose customer services person was most helpful on the telephone - an actual human being! (help line 0800 496 1081). Apparently, there was only ONE copy left, which I secured, via a firm called Tabata Books, and it arrived by post within a couple of days.
The dictionary is excellent, with lots of extra features such as cultural references and abbreviations in both directions.
There must be some more copies left - somewhere in the world.
Good luck!
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:48
French to English
Re: Harrap's Unabridged Oct 9, 2014

What is the publication date of the latest version of this dictionary? I have tried to find a website with details, but there doesn't seem to be much information available.

My main hard copy dictionary is the Collins Robert 9th edition, 2010. When I was doing my MA, I had access to Bristol University's Oxford Language Dictionaries Online, which was a very useful resource. I'm considering an annual subscription, which would be £44 per year plus VAT. Here's a link to their website:... See more
What is the publication date of the latest version of this dictionary? I have tried to find a website with details, but there doesn't seem to be much information available.

My main hard copy dictionary is the Collins Robert 9th edition, 2010. When I was doing my MA, I had access to Bristol University's Oxford Language Dictionaries Online, which was a very useful resource. I'm considering an annual subscription, which would be £44 per year plus VAT. Here's a link to their website:

http://global.oup.com/online/subscribe/catalogue/oldo/

The good thing is, you get all the benefits of a comprehensive dictionary, with illustrative phrases, access to correspondence templates, etc., and also regular updates on new words.
Collapse

Aideen Rodrigues
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Harrap's Unabridged 2014 Oct 9, 2014

The latest two volume set was published this year. I've decided to go with that one. Now, any thoughts on the best downloadable bilingual dictionary for a Mac? I was going to go with the Robert-Collins, but a lot of users seem to get pretty annoyed with having to regularly reinsert the disk. I'm going to pay for a yearly subscription I think to Collins-Robert (€24) but I would be nervous about losing internet access, so I'm going to shell out for a downloadable version or a disk. Any thou... See more
The latest two volume set was published this year. I've decided to go with that one. Now, any thoughts on the best downloadable bilingual dictionary for a Mac? I was going to go with the Robert-Collins, but a lot of users seem to get pretty annoyed with having to regularly reinsert the disk. I'm going to pay for a yearly subscription I think to Collins-Robert (€24) but I would be nervous about losing internet access, so I'm going to shell out for a downloadable version or a disk. Any thoughts anyone? I didn't see great reviews of the Harrap's Pro... Also, thanks for the replies so far folks.Collapse

Aideen Rodrigues
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Harrap's Unabridged 2014 Oct 9, 2014

Oh and by the way, for anyone looking for the Harrap's Unabridged two volume set - there are plenty available at the moment on Amazon.fr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Choosing a French-English Dictionary.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »