PDF and MS Word docs software review
Thread poster: transfromlima
transfromlima
transfromlima  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:55
English to Spanish
Oct 13, 2014

Hi there:

Does anybody knows about a Quality Assurance software that allows to open a pdf document together with a MS Word document?

To be clear, my "SOURCE DOCUMENT" is on PDF and the "TARGET DOCUMENT" is on MS WORD. I am looking for a software for checking both documents simultaneously, with segmentations or parallel like in WinAlign software 4 example.

I want to avoid reviewing both documents without opening one below the other 'cause is harder to check
... See more
Hi there:

Does anybody knows about a Quality Assurance software that allows to open a pdf document together with a MS Word document?

To be clear, my "SOURCE DOCUMENT" is on PDF and the "TARGET DOCUMENT" is on MS WORD. I am looking for a software for checking both documents simultaneously, with segmentations or parallel like in WinAlign software 4 example.

I want to avoid reviewing both documents without opening one below the other 'cause is harder to check line by line. Any idea with this topic?

I understand that best thing to do this is converting the PDF version into MS Word format, so both have the same extension and they can be opened in any software, BUT, because of the size of my files and time I can't convert the PDF files into DOCX format. That's why I wonder "if" exists a software that let me open both files at the same time.

I also want to know if Xbench software allows to do this.

I hope somebody could give some ideas

Regards,

Mónica Arroyo
Peru

[Edited at 2014-10-13 23:12 GMT]
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:55
English to French
Two large screens Oct 14, 2014

transfromlima wrote:
...I hope somebody could give some ideas...

It makes comparing two docs much easier, even though you still have to scroll between both monitors.

If the pdf is not an image and its layout is not important, you may want to copy the text, and possibly pass tools like autoUnbreak onto it to remove unnecessary hard line breaks, before copying to a Word document. You would then have the Compare feature so that both docs can be scrolled together.

Unless you plan to leverage/create a TM, I would think that any kind of alignment will likely be time-consuming, poorly relevant and not worth the trouble.

Philippe

[Edited at 2014-10-14 09:22 GMT]

transfromlima
transfromlima  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:55
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
thks Oct 14, 2014

Hi Phillippe:

Thank you for your advice, I'm going to try it.

My docs are only for checking no aligning, for aligning files I use WinAlign from Sdl Trados and PlusTools from Wordfast.

Greetings,

Mónica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF and MS Word docs software review

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »