EuroVoc glossaries from the EU’s multilingual thesaurus now available for free download
Thread poster: Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:11
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Oct 15, 2014

EuroVoc glossaries from the EU’s multilingual thesaurus now available for free download

http://alexandria-translation-resources.com/eu-multilingual-thesaurus-free-download/

The Publications Office of the European Union is an interinstitutional office that publishes and disseminates the publications of the institutions and oth
... See more

http://alexandria-translation-resources.com/eu-multilingual-thesaurus-free-download/

The Publications Office of the European Union is an interinstitutional office that publishes and disseminates the publications of the institutions and other bodies of the European Union.

It publishes the Official Journal of the European Union, produces or co-produces general publications and informational material on the activities of the bodies of the EU and provides a number of online services giving free access to information.

The Publications Office manages for example EuroVoc, a multilingual thesaurus on the EU terminology. It contains terms in 23 EU languages (Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish), plus Serbian. Its users include the European Parliament, the Publications Office, national and regional parliaments in Europe, plus national governments and private users around the world. It serves as the basis for the domain names used in the European Union’s terminology database: Inter-Active Terminology for Europe.

EuroVoc covers a wide range of fields from politics and geography to science and energy, through technologies or law (basically all the activity fields of the European Union institutions). Some fields are more highly developed than others because they are more closely related to the EU’s centres of interest. Thus, for example, the names of the regions of each EU Member State are in EuroVoc but not those of third countries.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:11
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wow ! Oct 15, 2014

Thanks ! I've saved it as a PDF (more usable).

[Edited at 2014-10-15 13:13 GMT]

Inter-Tra
Inter-Tra  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Danke Oct 16, 2014

Thank you very much.

Kindest Regards!

Andrea Jarmuschewski
Andrea Jarmuschewski  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
French to German
+ ...
Great! Oct 16, 2014

Thanks for the heads up!

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Excellent resource Oct 16, 2014

Thanks very much for this. I'll spread he word.

Olly

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Now? Oct 16, 2014

I'm not sure there's anything new about this. I first downloaed EuroVoc 4.2 in 2008, and I grabbed EuroVoc 4.4 this summer. The version at the posted link seems to be 4.4 as well, although absurdly enough the version number is not listed anywhere (it has the same number of entries as the 4.4 I have).
The whole thing is available for download from the original source, including multilingual v
... See more
I'm not sure there's anything new about this. I first downloaed EuroVoc 4.2 in 2008, and I grabbed EuroVoc 4.4 this summer. The version at the posted link seems to be 4.4 as well, although absurdly enough the version number is not listed anywhere (it has the same number of entries as the 4.4 I have).
The whole thing is available for download from the original source, including multilingual versions:
http://eurovoc.europa.eu/drupal/?q=download/list_pt&cl=en

I'm not sure why one would download an inferior (bilingual) and unofficial version from a third party that may not be updated as frequently as the real deal.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:11
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
;-) Oct 16, 2014

Just a little harmless self-promotion, just like my own collection: Wordbook.nl

Wordbook.nl

I've had a Dutch/English extraction – among many other resources – on my site for quite some time now.

Michael

@Siegfried: Interesting site (The Alexandria Library)!

[Edited at 2014-10-16 22:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-10-16 22:12 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
StarDict and PC Translator Oct 17, 2014

FarkasAndras wrote:

The whole thing is available for download from the original source, including multilingual versions:
http://eurovoc.europa.eu/drupal/?q=download/list_pt&cl=en

I'm not sure why one would download an inferior (bilingual) and unofficial version from a third party that may not be updated as frequently as the real deal.

I created in May 2013 four StarDict dictionaries for OmegaT with Czech as source language

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/omegat/2013-05-03/cs/00.html

I added the terminology into a dictionary of PC Translator and deleted redundacy (duplicate) items.

Milan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »