Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:58
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Dec 11, 2014

I shall be making an emergency trip to the UK for family reasons (mother's funeral) on 15 December and due to the emergency situation have not really had time to plan things. However, I would like to take this opportunity to buy at least one translation book, but do not know which one(s). They would have to be reasonably cheap and also light in weight (they will be transported back with me by air and there are weight restrictions and heavy fines on excess baggage).
The book(s) would have t
... See more
I shall be making an emergency trip to the UK for family reasons (mother's funeral) on 15 December and due to the emergency situation have not really had time to plan things. However, I would like to take this opportunity to buy at least one translation book, but do not know which one(s). They would have to be reasonably cheap and also light in weight (they will be transported back with me by air and there are weight restrictions and heavy fines on excess baggage).
The book(s) would have to be available for purchase in Birmingham or West Midlands (preferably) or in London.
The main items I would be interested in are:
The two magnificent works by Corinne McKay
A good technical dictionary, either ENPT or monolingual English
Recreative Linguistics, e.g. Eats, Shoots and Leaves, by Lynne Truss (this book included)
Regional Englishes (e.g. Cockney, Geordie)
Or someone could recommend a good bookshop in Birmingham or London which I could visit?
Also, due to the time of year, I would like to know when the bookshops will be open. I imagine they close 25 and 26 December and New Year's Day - please confirm.
(Not sure if this is the right forum for this thread, please move if necessary)
Collapse

Barbara Bonatti Divers
Barbara Bonatti Divers  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:58
English to Italian
why not get them on amazon? Dec 11, 2014

That's where I got mine. You can order from anywhere in the world on amazon UK.
Saves having to carry them!

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I would order on Amazon now Dec 11, 2014

so that they're there waiting for me when I arrive in the UK.

Helen Shiner
Helen Shiner  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Independent bookshops Dec 11, 2014

Please accept my condolences on the death of your mother.

I would suggest you order from Waterstones online and arrange to pick up the book at one of their stores. You should be able to check availability and opening times of stores on their website: www.waterstones.com Here is a list/map of the cen
... See more
Please accept my condolences on the death of your mother.

I would suggest you order from Waterstones online and arrange to pick up the book at one of their stores. You should be able to check availability and opening times of stores on their website: www.waterstones.com Here is a list/map of the central London stores: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayFindBranch.do

I hope this helps and that your trip goes well.
Collapse

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Waterstones - West Midlands Dec 11, 2014

There are Waterstones branches, of course, throughout the country. Here are the locations within the West Midlands: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayFindBranch.do

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Er Dec 11, 2014

Seems that Waterstones's website strips my search results out from the links. Apologies for sending the same, unhelpful, link twice. I'll have to leave it to you to do your own search!

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Dec 11, 2014

Diana: Just one thing, I don't need the books in the UK but in Brazil, where my office is based. The point is that often the UK has books unavailable in Brazil, such as Vivian Cook's "What's in a word?" which I bought on my last trip four years ago.
Waterstone's is a good option - but Coventry is a small place, so imagine I would have to go to Birmingham or London where stores are bigger, to look at more options?
Amazon sounds an interesting option but am a bit wary of Internet sales
... See more
Diana: Just one thing, I don't need the books in the UK but in Brazil, where my office is based. The point is that often the UK has books unavailable in Brazil, such as Vivian Cook's "What's in a word?" which I bought on my last trip four years ago.
Waterstone's is a good option - but Coventry is a small place, so imagine I would have to go to Birmingham or London where stores are bigger, to look at more options?
Amazon sounds an interesting option but am a bit wary of Internet sales - I once bought a style guide advertised as 'a comprehensive style guide, in almost-new condition' and the book was full of stains and the content was very poor. I like to see the book before I buy it.
Incidentally, the Vivian Cook book was unearthed in Poundsaver (something like that) of all places.
Thank you Helen for your condolence message and list of Central London bookstores. I always reserve one day for a train trip to London, and could do my book shopping then.
Ah, style guide - that's also on my wish list. Would the Guardian Style Guide (or similar) be available in any bookshop? I have a style guide in Portuguese but none in English except for the traditional usage books, like Michael Swan.
Collapse

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New Street Dec 11, 2014

I see on the list that there is a Waterstone's at 128 New Street, Birmingham. That is excellent, as the branch would probably be bigger than the one in Coventry and I would not have to haul books on the Silverlink (probably changed names now - they always do - it's the Euston to Birmingham service via Northampton, it's cheaper than Virgin) but on the short Birmingham - Coventry line. Then I can use my day trip to London to visit the usual sights like Big Ben etc.
As I haven't received any
... See more
I see on the list that there is a Waterstone's at 128 New Street, Birmingham. That is excellent, as the branch would probably be bigger than the one in Coventry and I would not have to haul books on the Silverlink (probably changed names now - they always do - it's the Euston to Birmingham service via Northampton, it's cheaper than Virgin) but on the short Birmingham - Coventry line. Then I can use my day trip to London to visit the usual sights like Big Ben etc.
As I haven't received any actual book suggestions yet, I would have to look around and see what catches my eye.
Collapse

Helen Shiner
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Online / phone purchase Dec 11, 2014

Just to clarify: Waterstones is a big, nationwide store. If you don't want to use their online ordering system, though nowadays all is very secure, you could ring them (at any of their stores) or e-mail them to place an order. Tell them which store you want to collect from and then you would pay on collection.

Coventry Waterstones will be a big store, so certainly worth visiting.

I've just ordered in books (by phone) to my local, small town bookshop and they are availab
... See more
Just to clarify: Waterstones is a big, nationwide store. If you don't want to use their online ordering system, though nowadays all is very secure, you could ring them (at any of their stores) or e-mail them to place an order. Tell them which store you want to collect from and then you would pay on collection.

Coventry Waterstones will be a big store, so certainly worth visiting.

I've just ordered in books (by phone) to my local, small town bookshop and they are available for me to collect the next day.
Collapse

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I'm not confused, Paul :) Dec 11, 2014

Paul Dixon wrote:

You had already said you would be taking them back with you to Brazil in your original post. My point was that instead of going out looking for them on the high street, the books could already be there for you when you arrive in the UK.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:58
French to English
+ ...
Support an independent bookshop Dec 11, 2014

Small, independent bookshops are an important cultural and social resource and are under enormous pressure from Amazon and chains like Waterstones. Their owners and staff provide knowledge and advice because they generally care about books. Many independent bookshops have closed in recent years and that is a real loss to local communities and book buyers in general.

You can find a local independent bookshop online using Yellow Pages and ask them if they will accept your order for b
... See more
Small, independent bookshops are an important cultural and social resource and are under enormous pressure from Amazon and chains like Waterstones. Their owners and staff provide knowledge and advice because they generally care about books. Many independent bookshops have closed in recent years and that is a real loss to local communities and book buyers in general.

You can find a local independent bookshop online using Yellow Pages and ask them if they will accept your order for books (that you might find through this forum or on Amazon), subject to them being able to supply the books in time for you to pick them up when you are in England.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Book suggestions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »