Tony M
France
Local time: 15:25
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Dec 29, 2014

I originally posted for help in KudoZ, but my post got squashed ;-(

For a FR > EN translation I am working on (to a very tight deadline) I need to find the official translation (if one exists) of the French electrical installation standard NFC 13-200 (preferably the latest 2009 edition), and more specifically, of just 4 sentences from it.

It's not that I can't translate these myself, but as far as standards are concerned, it's of course always better to use the official
... See more
I originally posted for help in KudoZ, but my post got squashed ;-(

For a FR > EN translation I am working on (to a very tight deadline) I need to find the official translation (if one exists) of the French electrical installation standard NFC 13-200 (preferably the latest 2009 edition), and more specifically, of just 4 sentences from it.

It's not that I can't translate these myself, but as far as standards are concerned, it's of course always better to use the official translation where one exists; the trouble is, being an NF, it's not easy to find in translation (as it would be for an international standard).

Mchd has kindly found me a link to the whole standard in FR, and Terry Richards has kindly pointed me to the AFNOR site where it is available to purchase in EN, but the price of the whole standard is more than the value of the job I'm working on! I could probably find the standard to consult in a University library here, but only in FR; so I'm looking for an urgent solution to consulting this FR standard in its official EN translation, if anyone knows a good standards library; the problem is, as it is an electrical installation standard, it is only likely to be held by a company doing installation work in France.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!
Collapse

S Kelly
S Kelly
Local time: 14:25
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
Some help Dec 29, 2014

Tony,

Not an expert in the area, but have appreciated your help in the past.
This seems to be the 1987 version, but it may help.

http://www.freestd.us/soft/297848.htm

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:25
English to French
+ ...
Linguee Dec 29, 2014

Tony, have you tried pasting these 4 sentences into Linguee, or even Google? I've had occasionally lucked out when translating standards.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
To Kelly Dec 29, 2014

Thanks ever so much! Even though that version of the standard has been withdrawn, the section of the texts I need would probably not have changed.

I did find that site, but no matter what I do, I can't seem to find the link that will actually allow me to download it?! Have you had any more luck making it work?

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
To JL Dec 29, 2014

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, but I've tried Googling like that, and it returns no hits; in any event, while it might return hits in the source language, it's a terrific long shot to hope for the En version to pop up as well. I hadn't tried Linguee, but it's the same there — and to boot, it can't seem to cope with a longer phrase within " ". The problem is, in my particular sentences, there is no very distinctive terminology or even expressions — it's all pretty banal terminology.

Germaine
Germaine  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:25
English to French
+ ...
Post the sentences... Dec 29, 2014

here. Different tools may get you an answer...

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Here are the sentences Dec 29, 2014

...as kindly suggested by Germaine:

NFC 13-200 section 3-31, paragraph 314:

« Les valeurs maximales des courants de court-circuit permettent de déterminer les pouvoirs de coupure et les pouvoirs de fermeture des appareillages ainsi que les niveaux de tenue électrodynamique et thermique des matériels.
Elles permettent également d’identifier les points du réseau où devront préférablement être raccordés les récepteurs les plus contraignants ou le
... See more
...as kindly suggested by Germaine:

NFC 13-200 section 3-31, paragraph 314:

« Les valeurs maximales des courants de court-circuit permettent de déterminer les pouvoirs de coupure et les pouvoirs de fermeture des appareillages ainsi que les niveaux de tenue électrodynamique et thermique des matériels.
Elles permettent également d’identifier les points du réseau où devront préférablement être raccordés les récepteurs les plus contraignants ou les polluants (gros moteurs, machines à souder, fours à arc, etc.)
Les valeurs minimales des courants de court-circuit et de défaut sont nécessaires pour fixer les réglages des protections garantissant l’élimination des défauts dans les conditions les plus faibles d’alimentation. Les calculs sont effectués en se plaçant dans la configuration d’alimentation minimale de l’installation. »

Of course it is no problem for me to translate these all over again myself, but where standards are concerned, it's obviously important wherever possible to use the official translation, where one exists.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
If this is a French standard... Dec 30, 2014

Why would there be an "official" English translation? Surely official translations exist only in international bodies like the European Union or the United Nations? If it were me, I'd just translate it myself.

[Edited at 2014-12-30 15:17 GMT]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Phil Dec 30, 2014

Indeed, yes... however, within Europe, many national standards do exist in (particularly EN) translations — sometimes following or in preparation for an adoption as an EN, for example.

At any rate, in the case of this particular standard (which is a very fundamental one covering all aspects of electrical installations), we are pretty certain that an official translation does exist — there's plenty of evidence, not least the purported availability of it direct from AFNOR,
... See more
Indeed, yes... however, within Europe, many national standards do exist in (particularly EN) translations — sometimes following or in preparation for an adoption as an EN, for example.

At any rate, in the case of this particular standard (which is a very fundamental one covering all aspects of electrical installations), we are pretty certain that an official translation does exist — there's plenty of evidence, not least the purported availability of it direct from AFNOR, the FR standards institution. I can find bits of translation, like headings / summaries, but so far not the full text.
Collapse

polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
Baltic States Dec 30, 2014

Not sure if it will help but, on more than one occasion, I have found that the Standards Organisations in countries such as Estonia publish large chunks of European standards in English. Not the whole text but often enough for my purpose. Maybe worth a try?

Danik 2014
Danik 2014
Brazil
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Kelly`s link works Dec 30, 2014

...but I had to wait a while till it came in and then replace it with the 2009 version.
I hope it contains the looked for sentences.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
@ Danik Dec 31, 2014

Thanks for your comment!

Kelly's link works fine, inasmuch as it takes me to the page where I can select a standard; however, I can't for the life of me find anywhere on the page the link to click on that will actually download the standard?! There are 'PDF' and 'DOC' icons which would logically be where you'd click to download — only they simply are inactive. I'm wondering if for some reason this is a territorial issue: perhaps they are blocked only here in France?

... See more
Thanks for your comment!

Kelly's link works fine, inasmuch as it takes me to the page where I can select a standard; however, I can't for the life of me find anywhere on the page the link to click on that will actually download the standard?! There are 'PDF' and 'DOC' icons which would logically be where you'd click to download — only they simply are inactive. I'm wondering if for some reason this is a territorial issue: perhaps they are blocked only here in France?

If anyone could please tell me where to actually click to perform the download, that would be brilliant! Or, if you have managed to download it yourself, maybe some kind soul could simply e-mail it to me?
Collapse

Andrea Muller (X)
Andrea Muller (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:25
English to German
+ ...
Had the same problem (unable to download) Dec 31, 2014

Tony, I tried using this site in the past for some German standards, and had the same problem. I was unable to download anything (Firefox and Opera). And looking towards the top of the page of the link in your thread, it says language 'French'.

" Standard Number: NF C13-200-1987
Title: (High voltage electrical installations. Requirements.)
Language: French
Replaced by Standard: NFC 13 200:2009"

So I am not sure whether the site even prov
... See more
Tony, I tried using this site in the past for some German standards, and had the same problem. I was unable to download anything (Firefox and Opera). And looking towards the top of the page of the link in your thread, it says language 'French'.

" Standard Number: NF C13-200-1987
Title: (High voltage electrical installations. Requirements.)
Language: French
Replaced by Standard: NFC 13 200:2009"

So I am not sure whether the site even provides an English translation.

With the German DIN standards, at least it says 'German and English'. But still no download option, as far as I can tell.

If you or anyone else ever find out how to download anything from this page, please let me know!

Andrea
Collapse

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
That's a matter of money. Dec 31, 2014

Tony M,

A French standard is valid for France only unless it's a basis for an European Norm - but it's not he case with NF C13.

An English translation of this standard would have been made only upon an order from an English-speaking company (from the UK, IE, US, CA, AU, NZ, SA?) interested in reading the content in English. You are doing such work just now, I guess. Should any company invest in translation, why would they like to publish the translated text on the Inter
... See more
Tony M,

A French standard is valid for France only unless it's a basis for an European Norm - but it's not he case with NF C13.

An English translation of this standard would have been made only upon an order from an English-speaking company (from the UK, IE, US, CA, AU, NZ, SA?) interested in reading the content in English. You are doing such work just now, I guess. Should any company invest in translation, why would they like to publish the translated text on the Internet? Who would return the money spent for the translation? That's a matter of business, unlike the crowd-sourced wikipedia.

And what do you mean by an 'official' translation: approved by an authorized body from any of the English-speaking countries listed above? What sort of body would it have to be? Therefore, no 'official translation' exists, I'm afraid.

The best solution for you is lose no time, translate by yourself.

In general, technical standards are not available for free, they need to be purchased. This 'need' is even more valid for translations of technical standards. That's how it goes.

Best wishes for all fellow translators for the 2015 year!

Andrzej Mierzejewski

[Edited at 2014-12-31 19:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-01-01 16:27 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NFC 13-200

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »