Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
I just got UNLIMITED STORAGE via Office 365/OneDrive!
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Cetacea
Cetacea  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 09:05
English to German
+ ...
What lawsuit? Jan 9, 2015

Alex Lago wrote:
The OneDrive license literally reads as follows:
"When you transmit or upload Content to the Services, you're giving Microsoft the worldwide right to use Content as necessary."

Michael Beijer wrote:
They would never do anything that could result in a lawsuit.

When you've given someone the right to "use content as necessary", you can't sue them if they do just that.

You seriously believe that all they will ever do with data is "shuffle it around to improve the service"? You know, they didn't get to where they are by polishing their halo...

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Being careful is one thing, being paranoid quite another. Jan 9, 2015

Cetacea wrote:

Alex Lago wrote:
The OneDrive license literally reads as follows:
"When you transmit or upload Content to the Services, you're giving Microsoft the worldwide right to use Content as necessary."

Michael Beijer wrote:
They would never do anything that could result in a lawsuit.

When you've given someone the right to "use content as necessary", you can't sue them if they do just that.

You seriously believe that all they will ever do with data is "shuffle it around to improve the service"? You know, they didn't get to where they are by polishing their halo...

Do you honestly believe that Microsoft is going to take a document stored in my OneDrive and … and what? Sell it to someone? For example, figure out who the parties are in a contract I am translating, and then see if they can sell it to one of them? You can't be serious!

I'm afraid I don't translate anything that would be of much value. I don't often do documents with amazing trade secrets. 99% of it is just bumf. If it's really, really confidential, I lock it up behind a password, but deciding to forgo any form of email or cloud storage is just nonsense. What's next, pull out my ethernet cable?

Being careful is one thing, being paranoid quite another.

[Edited at 2015-01-09 17:08 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I don't know what they will do or are doing, that's the problem Jan 9, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:
Do you honestly believe that Microsoft is going to take a document stored in my OneDrive and … and what? Sell it to someone? For example, figure out who the parties are in a contract I am translating, and then see if they can sell it to one of them? You can't be serious!

As far as I'm concerned the problem is that I don't know what they are doing (or may do in the future) with the data precisely because the terms of service are so ambiguous.

Also the problem isn't just Microsoft but all the other companies that collect our data (for example http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?_r=0), but even so I don't know what Microsoft may do with my data (or Google, or Amazon, etc.), which is why there should be much stricter laws, which even Microsoft is pushing for (http://cloudofdata.tumblr.com/post/63721156500/could-should-data-misuse-be-a-crime).

Plus corporations are infamous for having little or no concern for people or their rights so I don't see why I should rely on their "good will". (http://www.cloudsherpas.com/partner-google/exploring-microsoft-licensing-part-2-dont-get-samd/)

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Just to be on the safer side, look for a server location in Europe Jan 12, 2015

Data privacy regulations here (and especially in Germany, so I read) are much more restrictive than in the US/Canada.

With a server located in the US your data is not supposed to be safe.

Mainly due to customers' security concerns, Amazon has recently moved its server from Ireland to Frankfurt. VMware will soon open a location for its cloud platform in Germany, and Salesforce and Oracle have announced German locations as well.

Of course, it's not easy t
... See more
Data privacy regulations here (and especially in Germany, so I read) are much more restrictive than in the US/Canada.

With a server located in the US your data is not supposed to be safe.

Mainly due to customers' security concerns, Amazon has recently moved its server from Ireland to Frankfurt. VMware will soon open a location for its cloud platform in Germany, and Salesforce and Oracle have announced German locations as well.

Of course, it's not easy to know where the server of a cloud is located, but if you don't find anything, you may be sure it's not in Europe, at least.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Servers Jan 12, 2015

Once you've agreed to the terms and conditions they can do whatever they want with your data.

They can use one server in one place or many servers in many different places. You'll never know. They themselves may not know.

[Edited at 2015-01-12 09:53 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Then what, stop using ALL American software? :-) Jan 12, 2015

Although I agree that the US should probably not be allowed to snoop around in anyone's data (although if they manage to stop a major terrorist attack, would you still not want them doing so?), on a practical level, this is all pretty much irrelevant.

If the US government goes looking through the word's data in search of terrorist stuff, this will have absolutely no effect on the documents of our clients. Sure, strictly speaking, NDAs etc. may be breached, but … what are t
... See more
Although I agree that the US should probably not be allowed to snoop around in anyone's data (although if they manage to stop a major terrorist attack, would you still not want them doing so?), on a practical level, this is all pretty much irrelevant.

If the US government goes looking through the word's data in search of terrorist stuff, this will have absolutely no effect on the documents of our clients. Sure, strictly speaking, NDAs etc. may be breached, but … what are the chances either you or your client will ever finding out?

And assuming you're right, and that we should never use any cloud service with servers located in the US. What then: are you also planning to stop using Gmail, Google, Yahoo, … and all Windows, and Apple software? This is of course ludicrous. Are we supposed to start using only German software, because we read somewhere on a blog that regulations in Germany are much more restrictive?

Feel free to start using a GMX.net email address (http://www.gmx.net/produkte/ ), SoftMaker (a German Office clone), and of course a German Linux distro; I'm going to continue using my Google Apps email account and OneDrive
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
No need to get ironical Jan 12, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

If the US government goes looking through the word's data in search of terrorist stuff, this will have absolutely no effect on the documents of our clients. Sure, strictly speaking, NDAs etc. may be breached, but … what are the chances either you or your client will ever finding out?

And assuming you're right, and that we should never use any cloud service with servers located in the US. What then: are you also planning to stop using Gmail, Google, Yahoo, … and all Windows, and Apple software? This is of course ludicrous. Are we supposed to start using only German software, because we read somewhere on a blog that regulations in Germany are much more restrictive?

Feel free to start using a GMX.net email address (http://www.gmx.net/produkte/ ), SoftMaker (a German Office clone), and of course a German Linux distro; I'm going to continue using my Google Apps email account and OneDrive

Of course, there is no guarantee that our data is completely safe in any place of the world. But I would a priori not be very confident in US privacy regulations. What makes you think that my assertion is due to what I read "somewhere in a blog"? This is a well known problem as far as data storage is concerned.

And BTW, I have already stopped using Gmail (never used Yahoo) and am trying to limit the use of Google (which is more difficult, I admit). You won't believe it, but I would be happy to get rid of Microsoft's Windows and all its software as well altogether.

But this is just me. You may of course continue to use all your apps and tools to your utmost satisfaction.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
UPDATE!!! (Goodbye OneDrive! I'm going back to Dropbox) Jan 19, 2015

I can’t believe how much time I just wasted. Starting the long trek back to Dropbox now. Ugh. I can’t believe I was so stupid as to miss that OneDrive has:

(1) No differential sync (change one byte in a 500 MB file and it has to re-upload the entire thing!) +
(2) No revision history for non-Office files
... See more
I can’t believe how much time I just wasted. Starting the long trek back to Dropbox now. Ugh. I can’t believe I was so stupid as to miss that OneDrive has:

(1) No differential sync (change one byte in a 500 MB file and it has to re-upload the entire thing!) +
(2) No revision history for non-Office files!!!"

Info: http://skatter.com/2014/08/onedrive-needs-these-4-features/

[Edited at 2015-01-19 17:53 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Controlled by Microsoft Jan 19, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Yes- it's controlled by Microsoft, so I guess only the worst was to be expected. I feel sorry for the people who may be ensnared by their "friendly" introductory offer.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spoken like a true… Jan 19, 2015

Controlled by Microsoft

Tom in London wrote:
Michael Beijer wrote:

Yes- it's controlled by Microsoft, so I guess only the worst was to be expected. I feel sorry for the people who may be ensnared by their "friendly" introductory offer.

some_text

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Improve a service? Hm. Jan 20, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

All it means is they can shuffle your stuff around to improve the service.

THE service (i. e. the pure cloud storage service) or one or the other of their services? E. g. their translation services?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistical_machine_translation

BTW, the founder of Linguee is a former Google employee ... honi soit qui mal y pense.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I just got UNLIMITED STORAGE via Office 365/OneDrive!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »