Advice on quality dictionaries Englisch-German
Téma indítója: Pegmoe
Pegmoe
Pegmoe
német - angol
+ ...
Nov 13, 2001

I would like some advice on which English-German dictionaries (brands) are good references for the following fields:

Business/Marketing/Finance

IT

Technical/Science

Law

Thanks for your input!

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 15:08
angol - német
+ ...
recommendable dictionaries Nov 13, 2001

Dietl-Lorenz, Wb für Recht, Wirschaft & Politik (good and reliable)

Der grosse Eichborn, WB Wirtschaft, Recht, Verwaltung, Politik, Verkehr, Kommunikation ( very comprehensive, convenient because it lists many standard expressions, but not cheap)

Zahn, Bank-und Börsenwesen

Schäfer, Wirtschaftswoerterbuch

Routledge, Wirtschaft,Handel und Finanzen( VERY limited, I would not buy it again)

IT- Brandtstetter, WB Daten-und Kommunikationst
... See more
Dietl-Lorenz, Wb für Recht, Wirschaft & Politik (good and reliable)

Der grosse Eichborn, WB Wirtschaft, Recht, Verwaltung, Politik, Verkehr, Kommunikation ( very comprehensive, convenient because it lists many standard expressions, but not cheap)

Zahn, Bank-und Börsenwesen

Schäfer, Wirtschaftswoerterbuch

Routledge, Wirtschaft,Handel und Finanzen( VERY limited, I would not buy it again)

IT- Brandtstetter, WB Daten-und Kommunikationstechnik

(I also have Langenscheidt\'s Information Technology, but find it very limited. But I don\'t do much IT )

Microsoft Computerlexikon( includes bilingual glossary)

Ernst, Wörterbuch der Technik

These are the dictionaries I use most frequently. Depending on your interest and specialties, there are of course many more, including medical, textile etc.

A kind Proz colleague gave me the address of a German publisher who has a great selection and ships his stuff anywhere, even to Canada. When you leave through his catalogue you\'ll feel like a kid in a candy store... http://www.kater-verlag.de

Happy browsing!

j.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-13 19:43 ]

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-11-13 19:59 ]
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Svédország
Local time: 00:08
Tag (2000 óta)
német - svéd
+ ...
Az Ő emlékére:
Dear Johanna Nov 13, 2001

Thanks for your expert advice.

Could you also say which of those are on CD?

I know that my bible Ernst is on CD (and to the asker: It\'s super on technical matters)

tia

Mats

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 15:08
angol - német
+ ...
Dictionaries on CD-ROM Nov 14, 2001

Der grosse Eichborn(E-G/G-E) is available on CD-ROM (388.00 Euro)

Ernst(194.29 Euro) also,

Dietl/Lorenz as well (280.19 Euro),and

Wyhlidal Kraftfahrzeugtechnisches WB(708.00 EURO).

Wörterbuch Handels,-Finanz- und Rechtssprache( Ammann/Herbst)(engl/dt/ frz.), CD-ROM 255.00 Euro.

You can also have a look at the catalogue on Kater\'s website!

j.

Elke Sedlmeier
Elke Sedlmeier
Németország
Local time: 00:08
angol - német
+ ...
Advice on quality dictionaries E-G Nov 14, 2001

I agree with Johanna and have almost the same selection of dictionaries on my bookshelf (except for \"Der Grosse Eichborn\", which I often find unprecise/unprofessional). I have one more dictionary to add which I think is a must (and also extremely comprehensive) in the field of business/economics/marketing. It also includes a lot of collocations, idioms etc.

\"Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch\" Englisch-Deutsch, Deutsch-Englisch, by Hamblock/Wessels, Cornelsen Verlag (approx. 200
... See more
I agree with Johanna and have almost the same selection of dictionaries on my bookshelf (except for \"Der Grosse Eichborn\", which I often find unprecise/unprofessional). I have one more dictionary to add which I think is a must (and also extremely comprehensive) in the field of business/economics/marketing. It also includes a lot of collocations, idioms etc.

\"Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch\" Englisch-Deutsch, Deutsch-Englisch, by Hamblock/Wessels, Cornelsen Verlag (approx. 200 Euro for both volumes).
Collapse

Pegmoe
Pegmoe
német - angol
+ ...
TÉMAINDÍTÓ
Thanks a bunch! Nov 14, 2001

I appreciate your advice on the dictionaries, which was very comprehensive. Also, the \"Kater\" site is incredible! You were right about the candy store . . .

PEG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advice on quality dictionaries Englisch-German

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »