Tip: How to get a Windows/MacOS/Linux look
Thread poster: Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Jan 8, 2022

Would you like to have CafeTran look (very much) like other the applications in your operating system?

1. LOOK AND FEEL: Open a project, then Edit menu > Preferences (CafeTran > Preferences on MacOS) > Appearance choose the Windows/MacOS/Linux look and feel option, depending on your OS.

2. THEME: View menu > Themes > System theme.

Restart CafeTran.

3. FONT (optional). CafeTran's UI will already use the system font with this look and feel, so t
... See more
Would you like to have CafeTran look (very much) like other the applications in your operating system?

1. LOOK AND FEEL: Open a project, then Edit menu > Preferences (CafeTran > Preferences on MacOS) > Appearance choose the Windows/MacOS/Linux look and feel option, depending on your OS.

2. THEME: View menu > Themes > System theme.

Restart CafeTran.

3. FONT (optional). CafeTran's UI will already use the system font with this look and feel, so the above should be enough. If you wish so, you can also set a font to match the system font (and appropriate font size) for all individual interface elements in View > Fonts.

[Edited at 2022-01-08 23:42 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Selection colour Jan 9, 2022

If you want to use the Mac selection colour on your Mac, it's b4d8fd. You can set it via the View menu.

BTW: In my opinion, CafeTran Espresso should be shipped with the appropriate looks per OS.

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:19
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Selection colour Jan 9, 2022

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

If you want to use the Mac selection colour on your Mac, it's b4d8fd. You can set it via the View menu.

BTW: In my opinion, CafeTran Espresso should be shipped with the appropriate looks per OS.

Hi Hans
I can follow you till Selection in the View menu, but where can I set b4d8fd??

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Native OS look Jan 9, 2022

Thanks, Hans.

Yes, I agree.

A lot of first-experience complaints seem to come from the different initial look, when it can be set up to blend in so well with three OSes, which is not a mince feat.

Hans Lenting

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Right here Jan 9, 2022

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 10.50.08

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:19
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Jan 9, 2022

German Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Screen Shot 2022-01-09 at 10.50.08

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Doesn’t work on my Linux box Mar 5, 2022

Unfortunately, this didn’t really do anything. Even after setting CafeTran to use GTK look and feel, and enabled dark mode, the UI failed to blend in with the rest of my Linux apps. After fiddling around, the fix was to edit my ~/.profile file and add this thingamajig in it:

export _JAVA_OPTIONS='-Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel -Dswing.crossplatformlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel'

What this does, is it forces all Java programs to use your current GTK theme. IOW, global override. So for example, if you have OmegaT installed alongside CafeTran, it will also force it to blend in with your system. And it works better than OmegaT’s built-in GTK+ theming, IMHO.

Result:

[Edited at 2022-03-05 15:41 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Doesn’t work on my Linux box Mar 6, 2022

Hello Novian,

Did you launch CafeTran via the JAR file with a command like java -jar /.Cafetran.jar by any chance? Setting options in ~/.profile shows you might be using the system Java.

CafeTran integrates a Java OpenJDK server that does not rely on external (system) Java installations, and it is recommended to make the "Cafetran"
file executable and run that instead.

It uses java -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true as run options.<
... See more
Hello Novian,

Did you launch CafeTran via the JAR file with a command like java -jar /.Cafetran.jar by any chance? Setting options in ~/.profile shows you might be using the system Java.

CafeTran integrates a Java OpenJDK server that does not rely on external (system) Java installations, and it is recommended to make the "Cafetran"

It uses java -Dawt.useSystemAAFontSettings=on -Dswing.aatext=true as run options.

Also, some of the settings I describe above require an application restart (if there is a dialog inviting you to do so).
Collapse

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
... Mar 6, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

That’s exactly how I launch the program lol. To be fair, OmegaT didn’t integrate well with my system either. After I added that variable to my ~/.profile file, it fixed the integration issue for both CafeTran and OmegaT, and it should do that to all Java apps I may install in the future too.

Also, some of the settings I describe above require an application restart (if there is a dialog inviting you to do so).

I tried to fix this issue in my spare time for several weeks, so my PC should got several system reboots even.

Jean Dimitriadis

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 7, 2022

Alright, thanks for this contribution, it might be useful to apply this in case the original instructions don't work, which might be dependent on the Linux distribution!

Mr. Satan (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tip: How to get a Windows/MacOS/Linux look

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »