Elizabeth Morris
Elizabeth Morris  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 12, 2022

Hello all,

I read that CafeTran can import/export IDML files. My client's file is an INDD (InDesign) file which was originally converted to pdf, then to Word and then sent to me, which caused the problems I was posting about a while ago here with my segments being all mixed up in CafeTran. Now we're trying things with the InDesign file itself. I re-saved the INDD as an IDML, but when I try to import this to CafeTran I get zero segments. Yet when I google "cafetran not reading idml f
... See more
Hello all,

I read that CafeTran can import/export IDML files. My client's file is an INDD (InDesign) file which was originally converted to pdf, then to Word and then sent to me, which caused the problems I was posting about a while ago here with my segments being all mixed up in CafeTran. Now we're trying things with the InDesign file itself. I re-saved the INDD as an IDML, but when I try to import this to CafeTran I get zero segments. Yet when I google "cafetran not reading idml file" and similar things, I don't see anyone complaining about this problem. Is there some simple thing I might be doing wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Collapse

Tom in London

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Support ticket // Try the INDD route Jan 12, 2022

Hello Elizabeth,

IDML is a supported file format. Troubleshooting such issues generally requires access to the file in question, so the best course of action would be to open an official support ticket and attach the file or discuss the issue with the developer: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets

In the meantime, if you have the original INDD and there
... See more
Hello Elizabeth,

IDML is a supported file format. Troubleshooting such issues generally requires access to the file in question, so the best course of action would be to open an official support ticket and attach the file or discuss the issue with the developer: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets

In the meantime, if you have the original INDD and there is no issue with the file itself, please note there is a way to translate that instead, in CafeTran.

The solution involves the Language Terminal.

Explanation here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats#indd-indesign

[Edited at 2022-01-12 17:17 GMT]
Collapse

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jan 12, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello Elizabeth,

In the meantime, if you have the original INDD and there is no issue with the file itself, please note there is a way to translate that instead, in CafeTran.

The solution involves the Language Terminal.

Explanation here: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats#indd-indesign

[Edited at 2022-01-12 17:17 GMT]

Thanks very much, Jean. I will try to Language Terminal right away.
I signed an NDA regarding this particular document, so I'll have to get permission before I send it to anyone else.

Elizabeth Morris
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Language Terminal "fail" every time I try to convert indd file Jan 12, 2022

And reason is "unknown." Tried in two different browsers. I wonder what is so special about this file that CafeTran can't read it as an .idml and Language Terminal can't convert it from indd...

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Unworkable… Jan 12, 2022

Using the original Indesign file and Language Terminal, a tool that is specifically made to handle INDD files conversions for translation purposes has at least helped further establish that:

1. The issue is not with CafeTran.
2. The issue is related with the original file itself.

The customer may need to troubleshoot the issue with the original file at this stage.

Were there many Indesign versions involved? Is the original file or a modified copy of s
... See more
Using the original Indesign file and Language Terminal, a tool that is specifically made to handle INDD files conversions for translation purposes has at least helped further establish that:

1. The issue is not with CafeTran.
2. The issue is related with the original file itself.

The customer may need to troubleshoot the issue with the original file at this stage.

Were there many Indesign versions involved? Is the original file or a modified copy of some sort?

At any rate, the INDD and IDML files seem to be unworkable for translation purposes…

[Edited at 2022-01-12 18:17 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran not reading IDML file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »