Susanne Döring  Identity Verified
Jordan
Local time: 16:14
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2022

Hi,

never had this problem: I have a plus membership at Proz, so I use CafeTran (Forerunner2019) with the connection to this site. This morning CafeTran told me I need to buy a licence - (membership is due to renew only next months, cannot be the reason, I believe) or use the restricted free version. Okay, usually when I see this I go to the tab of Proz, connect, that's it. Not today: a window pops up, asking me to complete a captcha - but the window does not shoe a captcha, it is n
... See more
Hi,

never had this problem: I have a plus membership at Proz, so I use CafeTran (Forerunner2019) with the connection to this site. This morning CafeTran told me I need to buy a licence - (membership is due to renew only next months, cannot be the reason, I believe) or use the restricted free version. Okay, usually when I see this I go to the tab of Proz, connect, that's it. Not today: a window pops up, asking me to complete a captcha - but the window does not shoe a captcha, it is nearly empty. I have been trying many times, restarting CafeTran, restarting the whole Laptop - same result.
Could someone give me an advice or help me?

Many thanks.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
A few ideas Jan 15, 2022

Hello Susanne,

A few ideas:

1. Reset the web resources cookies. Edit (CafeTran) > Preferences > Hold the Alt key and press the Reset button (bottom right). Restart CafeTran as instructed.

2. Use the instructions found here for an alternative ProZ.com sign in me
... See more
Hello Susanne,

A few ideas:

1. Reset the web resources cookies. Edit (CafeTran) > Preferences > Hold the Alt key and press the Reset button (bottom right). Restart CafeTran as instructed.

2. Use the instructions found here for an alternative ProZ.com sign in method:
https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000158973-signing-in-to-proz-com-account

3. Update CafeTran or better yet, since your version is quite old, and since the Java server has been now integrated to CafeTran, download and install the latest version from cafetran.com. At any rate, I highly suggest you install the latest version prior to your licence expiration.

For more detailed instructions on any safety steps before proceding (I suggest you backup before), please state your OS.

[Edited at 2022-01-15 14:10 GMT]
Collapse

Asu Giang

Susanne Döring
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but ... Jan 15, 2022

Hello Jean,

thank you so much. Installing a new version had been on my mind, I did that now - but unfortunately the problem stays the same.

Under the Proz-tab I now see what was a seperate window before, when I click on "connect to Proz.com": "We are checking your browser ..." then asking for a captcha, once I saw the question for the captcha, it did not work, now I don't even get this far. It looks like something is blocking the connection and I cannot get to the poin
... See more
Hello Jean,

thank you so much. Installing a new version had been on my mind, I did that now - but unfortunately the problem stays the same.

Under the Proz-tab I now see what was a seperate window before, when I click on "connect to Proz.com": "We are checking your browser ..." then asking for a captcha, once I saw the question for the captcha, it did not work, now I don't even get this far. It looks like something is blocking the connection and I cannot get to the point of seeing and answering this captcha.

Update: Last try - "checking your browser" - checking, checking, back to the link "connect to Proz.com", repeat.

[Edited at 2022-01-15 14:41 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Hm Jan 15, 2022

Hello Susanne,

Hm. I still suggest you try ideas 1 and 2 (if you haven't already), since many settings are kept even after a complete installation.

Resetting the settings (Edit > Preferences > Reset, this time without the Alt button pressed) would be my last resort. Of course, you can back them up first…

Susanne Döring
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... and repeat ... Jan 15, 2022

Thank you for your time.
Actually I tried both first. I did another reset - at least I got the statistics tab - then I really saw a captcha, was asked to enter my Proz account name and passwort - what I did - opened the window - warning that I needed to insert the licence or have only restricted use (you will know the text). Tried again to use the Proz.tab to connect - again, checking your browser (for which a new tab is added, which disappeares after a moment), then try again the link to
... See more
Thank you for your time.
Actually I tried both first. I did another reset - at least I got the statistics tab - then I really saw a captcha, was asked to enter my Proz account name and passwort - what I did - opened the window - warning that I needed to insert the licence or have only restricted use (you will know the text). Tried again to use the Proz.tab to connect - again, checking your browser (for which a new tab is added, which disappeares after a moment), then try again the link to connect, new tab "checking your browser" ...
I am giving up for today. My good luck I have no close deadline.

And no, it is not a problem with my Laptop. I tried on another PC. Same. Just in case ...
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Sorry to hear that Jan 15, 2022

At this stage, I think you can safely open a support ticket and check this with the developer. No more tries! Because one of the two methods outlined in https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000158973-signing-in-to-proz-com-account should work.

Resetting cookies, using the alternative login method, insta
... See more
At this stage, I think you can safely open a support ticket and check this with the developer. No more tries! Because one of the two methods outlined in https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000158973-signing-in-to-proz-com-account should work.

Resetting cookies, using the alternative login method, installing the latest CafeTran, resetting preferences, trying on two computers… I was getting out of ideas anyway

Maybe there was a recent change, or a temporary issue, although I have succesfully connected to a ProZ account in CafeTran just a few days ago…
Collapse

Susanne Döring
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not sure it is a CafeTran problem ... Jan 16, 2022

Again, thank you so much for your time. I am still trying before taking a ticket - I have the suspicion it has more to do with Proz than with CafeTran - when I refreshed this page today I got the exact same security question, only here the captcha worked and I could log in. Got a shock at first - what if this page would not be reachabel either?

I'll do some resets and refreshs and try again - maybe it will work eventually. Anyway it is sunday - if it does not work by tomorrow I'll
... See more
Again, thank you so much for your time. I am still trying before taking a ticket - I have the suspicion it has more to do with Proz than with CafeTran - when I refreshed this page today I got the exact same security question, only here the captcha worked and I could log in. Got a shock at first - what if this page would not be reachabel either?

I'll do some resets and refreshs and try again - maybe it will work eventually. Anyway it is sunday - if it does not work by tomorrow I'll try the suport.

Anyone having the same problem - most welcome to check in here!
Collapse

Tom in London

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Greek to English
Problem is with ProZ site, not CafeTran Jan 16, 2022

rheinsberg wrote:
I have the suspicion it has more to do with Proz than with CafeTran

That sounds more likely. See also this thread.

Some people at ProZ appear to have too much spare time on their hands.

Hans Lenting
Tom in London

Susanne Döring
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, just found the thread. Jan 16, 2022

It really came as a bad surprise yesterday and actually I seem to have the choice between stop working, translating doc to doc by hand (waste of time with formatting a problem here), or, forget about Proz and buy a licence from CafeTran in order to log in without this problem. I tend to the latter ...

Hans Lenting
Tom in London

Tim-Robin Rösler-Bartsch
Tim-Robin Rösler-Bartsch
Germany
Local time: 15:14
Member (2020)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Same here Jan 16, 2022

I have the exact same problem and a deadline tomorrow... And I can't even update the program because I can't connect to ProZ which means that I neither have the unlimited version.

Susanne Döring
Jordan
Member (2017)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Lets see. Jan 17, 2022

Tim-Robin Rösler wrote:

I have the exact same problem and a deadline tomorrow... And I can't even update the program because I can't connect to ProZ which means that I neither have the unlimited version.

That's awful - I had at least the good luck not to have any deadline before end of the month.
I did everything Jean up here recommanded - actually, after saving my work I deinstalled the old version, downloaded a new one and tried and tried again this captcha. I never suceeded completely, but somehow it seems it allows me to continue working.

Let's hope today things will go better - in the other forum someon said she had the impression it had been resolved. I am just starting my working day, people at Proz will probably still have sunday now. Let's see.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran not connecting to Proz.com

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »