Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 31, 2022

I have a Mac mini, High Sierra, and am planning on getting an updated version of Cafetran sometime, maybe right away IF I can translate a fillable pdf with it. Does anyone know if this is possible? I don't have a program that can create a fillable pdf.

The pdf I have been requested to translate is very "dense," so it would have to do an excellent job of keeping the formatting in place. Since I wouldn't be able to modify the pdf, I need to know if Cafetran can export my translation
... See more
I have a Mac mini, High Sierra, and am planning on getting an updated version of Cafetran sometime, maybe right away IF I can translate a fillable pdf with it. Does anyone know if this is possible? I don't have a program that can create a fillable pdf.

The pdf I have been requested to translate is very "dense," so it would have to do an excellent job of keeping the formatting in place. Since I wouldn't be able to modify the pdf, I need to know if Cafetran can export my translation into the same format as the original, with fillable lines and boxes that can be checked.

If this is possible, how should I go about doing it?

I have also sent an email to Kilgray support to see how well this would work with their TransPDF in MemoQ and if it is true that I wouldn't have to pay for exporting until I have exported 25 pages. (This would be on the other computer I use, Windows.)

Any suggestions are welcome.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
PDFexpert Mar 31, 2022

Download the trial here: https://pdfexpert.com/downloads

Use the Clipboard workflow: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/folders/6000058167

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TransPDF Mar 31, 2022

You don’t need to use mQ to use TransPDF.

BTW: A couple of pages is free in the Proz Plus package. Perhaps you can find a kind Plus member.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Mar 31, 2022

Thank you for your replies, German-Dutch. I forgot to mention that I am using MemoQ translator pro 9.1.9. I received a non-reply from Kilgray, no info, because they say this version is not supported and our SMA expired. But it is good to know that I can use TransPDF without it. Will it do a good job with fillable forms? Or should I use pdfexpert instead? I really don't know anything about these programs or how good (thorough) a job they do. Do I use pdfexpert (or TransPDF) first and then cr... See more
Thank you for your replies, German-Dutch. I forgot to mention that I am using MemoQ translator pro 9.1.9. I received a non-reply from Kilgray, no info, because they say this version is not supported and our SMA expired. But it is good to know that I can use TransPDF without it. Will it do a good job with fillable forms? Or should I use pdfexpert instead? I really don't know anything about these programs or how good (thorough) a job they do. Do I use pdfexpert (or TransPDF) first and then create a project in CafeTran (or MemoQ)?

In other words, what would work best for me, and easiest? Preferably no charge.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TransPDF Mar 31, 2022

The few PDF files that I've translated with TransPDF were disappointing.

PDFexpert was astonishingly good, when I used the trial a couple of weeks ago! The trial was free (and limited to 2 weeks, if I remember correctly). I've not yet bought a license, but I'll probably do so.

Please have a look at the Solution for CafeTran Espresso's Clipboard workflow (see the link). This is quite a unique way to translate.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Mar 31, 2022

Thanks again. I appreciate it very much.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
almost Apr 8, 2022

I finally figured out how to edit directly in PDFexpert (you have to click the Edit tab first), but not how to use the clipboard workflow in CafeTran. I tried selecting all and then copying, but that didn't work. A bunch of stuff appeared below the translation area in CT, but nothing in the TU area. So I tried again, just selecting one field at a time, but I still couldn't get even one field to copy into CT. I suppose I could just overwrite the source text with the target text in each field in... See more
I finally figured out how to edit directly in PDFexpert (you have to click the Edit tab first), but not how to use the clipboard workflow in CafeTran. I tried selecting all and then copying, but that didn't work. A bunch of stuff appeared below the translation area in CT, but nothing in the TU area. So I tried again, just selecting one field at a time, but I still couldn't get even one field to copy into CT. I suppose I could just overwrite the source text with the target text in each field in PDFexpert, as in pre-CAT days, in order to end up with a usable, fillable pdf.

Does anybody have a better solution?
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Original file Apr 9, 2022

The better solution would be to ask for the original file that was used to create the PDF...

How was it made? This can sometimes be seen in the properties of the document.

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
original Apr 9, 2022

It appears to have been created in Adobe pdf Maker 21 for Word. If I can get this to work, they say they will give me more of these to translate. I see that Adobe is quite expensive, though, and it may not be worth the expense.

The English text takes up most or all of the space in the fields, leaving hardly any room for the longer Spanish words. So it looks like the boxes to be checked and the lines to be filled would have to be moved so the text doesn't collide with them. It seem
... See more
It appears to have been created in Adobe pdf Maker 21 for Word. If I can get this to work, they say they will give me more of these to translate. I see that Adobe is quite expensive, though, and it may not be worth the expense.

The English text takes up most or all of the space in the fields, leaving hardly any room for the longer Spanish words. So it looks like the boxes to be checked and the lines to be filled would have to be moved so the text doesn't collide with them. It seems like quite a tedious and messy project, and maybe not worth my time ... unless someone with experience knows how to work with files like this and is willing to share with me.

The audience is Spanish-speakers living in the U.S., most of whom come from Mexico and Central America. For DOB, I never heard of FDN, so I wonder what percentage of them would know to write the date of birth on that line (Fecha De Nacimiento). There's no room for "Fech. nac." "Nombre" is only two letters longer than "Name," yet it doesn't fit in the space allotted. It looks like the font size is already point 9 or smaller, and the whole page is quite full.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TransPDF revisited Apr 10, 2022

MollyRose wrote:

I have also sent an email to Kilgray support to see how well this would work with their TransPDF in MemoQ and if it is true that I wouldn't have to pay for exporting until I have exported 25 pages. (This would be on the other computer I use, Windows.)

I tested TransPDF with a fillable PDF file, via my Proz Plus package:

You can get the example files here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j8dbhw1hffgtgg9/TransPDF.zip?dl=0

A side-by-side comparison of the source and target pdf:

Side-by-side

It will be hard to fix this in a PDF editor. Using a condensed font like Arial Narrow (https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/typography/font-list/arial-narrow ) can help, but you'll definitely have to shorten your translation.

MollyRose

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
DeepL Apr 12, 2022

I just noticed that DeepL also offers translation of PDF files.

I've uploaded a fillable PDF and received the Dutch version back:

Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 12.30.41

It would be perfect if one could also download a DOCX version.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Who knows what the future will bring us? Apr 13, 2022

German-Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

It would be perfect if one could also download a DOCX version.

DeepL:

We will forward your feedback to our product manager and take it into consideration for future development of our products.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fillable pdf file in Cafetran

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »