Thread poster: MollyRose
MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 4, 2022

I am starting to use CafeTran again, after using it a few times several years ago. I didn't learn it fully enough then. Is there a good tutorial, or place where I can find (easily) how to optimize its features? I already have plenty of experience with Trados, but the past 3 years, plenty of experience with MemoQ. I just installed Cafetran 11.0.2 on my Mac.

I did try searching for these answers but didn't find them, so that is why I am asking here.

Specifically, when
... See more
I am starting to use CafeTran again, after using it a few times several years ago. I didn't learn it fully enough then. Is there a good tutorial, or place where I can find (easily) how to optimize its features? I already have plenty of experience with Trados, but the past 3 years, plenty of experience with MemoQ. I just installed Cafetran 11.0.2 on my Mac.

I did try searching for these answers but didn't find them, so that is why I am asking here.

Specifically, when creating a new project, and I want to include my own TM (I have Big Mama already with some TUs I had created years ago, plus two other TMs that I can choose from that I can bring in from MemoQ), is there an advantage to me having Project Memory enabled? Is it necessary in order to use Total Recall? When using Trados or MemoQ, I never use a project TM because I was told I didn't need it because I wasn't going to share any TM with anyone else. I just want to add all my TUs to my own TM of choice, depending on the subject matter.

Also, my current TMs and termbase (in MemoQ) are "plain" English and "plain" Spanish, no country specified. Yet in Cafetran, I don't see "plain" as an option. Will my plain TMs and TB work if I attach them to a project (for input), and will I be able to save to them? Or will my sources not show up because the languages aren't named exactly the same? How can I make this work? Is there a way I can import English to U.S. English and Spanish to Mex. Spanish? Those are the languages that are in my Big Mama and glossary now, in Cafetran.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Project TMs Apr 4, 2022

Hello Molly,

Cafetran is not strict about TM locales. You can definitely reuse your big mama and Trados/Memoq TMs.

What I'd recommend is to use these TMs as reference (aka read-only, possibly with medium priority) TMs (or with Total Recall) and indeed systematically use a Project TM in all your projects with high priority. That way you can bestleverage your past work and your project-specific translations.

When you tick the project TM box in the Dashboard,
... See more
Hello Molly,

Cafetran is not strict about TM locales. You can definitely reuse your big mama and Trados/Memoq TMs.

What I'd recommend is to use these TMs as reference (aka read-only, possibly with medium priority) TMs (or with Total Recall) and indeed systematically use a Project TM in all your projects with high priority. That way you can bestleverage your past work and your project-specific translations.

When you tick the project TM box in the Dashboard, Cafetran automatically creates one for you. At the end of the project, you just update the TM and reuse it by adding it to your big mama or total recall database.

Support options are outlined at https://www.cafetran.com/ including the official knowledge base, and I've created some reference documents to supplement the existing documentation: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki

I know not of a good comprehensive tutorial.

I am contemplating creating a course, but the task is not trivial and the ROI not straightforward...

In the meantime, I do offer one on one online training, and so does Hans (https://www.proz.com/translator/78234 ). With your existing experience, you should be able to pick up most missing pieces in a two hour session.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Why? Apr 5, 2022

MollyRose wrote:

I am starting to use CafeTran again, after using it a few times several years ago.

I you don’t mind me asking: why are you abandoning mQ and the like?

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification Apr 5, 2022

Thanks, Jean.

Since I am used to using TMs, I would like to just choose which one(s) to have open for each project, for input, and save to the one I choose to save to. I don´t need a project memory for this, do I? ... unless I take extra time in the reviewing process and and don´t want to save the TUs until I am sure I like how they are all translated. Then I can merge/join/whatever it is called the project memory with Big Mama, which causes those TUs to be added and the project
... See more
Thanks, Jean.

Since I am used to using TMs, I would like to just choose which one(s) to have open for each project, for input, and save to the one I choose to save to. I don´t need a project memory for this, do I? ... unless I take extra time in the reviewing process and and don´t want to save the TUs until I am sure I like how they are all translated. Then I can merge/join/whatever it is called the project memory with Big Mama, which causes those TUs to be added and the project memory to be discarded?

I don´t plan to use the Total Recall, unless maybe later I find it can be useful.

When you say, " Cafetran is not strict about TM locales," does this mean that any version of the source or target language will work, even if it is English/Spanish in my original sources, and English U.S./Spanish Mex in CafeTran? So I can import all terms from MemoQ to CafeTran and they will show up, no matter how they are defined from MemoQ or in CafeTran? And I can use "plain" Spanish TUs in CafeTran even though my project is set up as Spanish-Mex?

I have been reading your wiki document and taking notes. It is very helpful. Thanks for the link.
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not ... Apr 5, 2022

I'm not abandoning MemoQ. I still use it all the time on one computer (Windows), but I have installed CafeTran on my Mac to use for other reasons.

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Some answers Apr 6, 2022

Project TM and other TMs

MollyRose wrote:

Thanks, Jean.

Since I am used to using TMs, I would like to just choose which one(s) to have open for each project, for input, and save to the one I choose to save to. I don´t need a project memory for this, do I? ... unless I take extra time in the reviewing process and and don´t want to save the TUs until I am sure I like how they are all translated. Then I can merge/join/whatever it is called the project memory with Big Mama, which causes those TUs to be added and the project memory to be discarded?

CafeTran does not impose a specific workflow, at least when it comes to TMs.

You can absolutely do as you describe: choose which TMs to open for each project, and to which to save to.

If there is a general recommendation for CafeTran, I think it would be to use a Project TM, but you can do without it if you prefer.

First, I like the ability to set the priority of the project TM (which is by definition the most relevant) higher than that of other TMs and keep reference TMs separate. Second, maybe I am overly cautious, but I like to avoid "polluting" my TMs with draft (non reviewed/finalized/definite) content, although the default setting which is to "Keep newer duplicates" ensures older entries are overwritten as you edit your work, keeping only the newest version.

Merging/Joining TM is quite easy, so you can always add the Project TM to your TM.

Total Recall

I don´t plan to use the Total Recall, unless maybe later I find it can be useful.

Good. I think it is best to avoid Total Recall unless you find that you need it (meaning, you find your TMs are slowing CafeTran down too much, although there are some steps to improve that before resorting to TR). Total Recall recalls relevant (aka a subset of) TUs from a given database table and produces an ad hoc read-only TMX for reference in your project. The database table itself can be opened and queried, and you also can lift the limits and recall "everything". Still, TMX is a better way to go, given the choice.

TM locales

When you say, " Cafetran is not strict about TM locales," does this mean that any version of the source or target language will work, even if it is English/Spanish in my original sources, and English U.S./Spanish Mex in CafeTran? So I can import all terms from MemoQ to CafeTran and they will show up, no matter how they are defined from MemoQ or in CafeTran? And I can use "plain" Spanish TUs in CafeTran even though my project is set up as Spanish-Mex?

Yes, when it comes to leveraging your TMs in CafeTran, any language variant will do.

Say you are opening an en_US to es_MX project and select a TM which uses plain en and es. CafeTran will present the TM options for that TM, automatically selecting the project language pair.

If the TM is set read-only, this means you can fully leverage your content, irrelevant of variants.
If the TM is read-and-write, I think what this does is that newer entries will be written with the defined variants.

For text glossaries, I am not sure, but if needed, these can be imported as or to a TMX as well.

Specifically for MemoQ termbases, I have this: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/4-File-formats#memoq-term-bases

---

Tips

- I suggest is that you systematically make sure that all TMs meant for reference are set as read-only, and all TMs you want to use actively are set as read-and-write when you open a project.

- Keep in mind that you can always set a TM as read-only, but going back to read-and-write requires that you close that TM and reopen it.

- If you use more than one TM in a given project (whether read-and-write or read-only), I suggest you join their tabs (starting from the most project-relevant) together (while keeping their content separate). If you do TM concordance searches, you will get to see all results in the open tab without having to go through the TM tabs.

[Edited at 2022-04-06 02:46 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Read-only Apr 6, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

- Keep in mind that you can always set a TM as read-only, but going back to read-and-write requires that you close that TM and reopen it.

I just created a new project with a ProjectTM and switched a couple of times between read-only and write-enabled. There was no message at all and the segment was saved in the TM.

From other projects I remember CafeTran Espresso giving a message that it would reload the glossary, after switching from read-only to write-enabled.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Just out of interest Apr 6, 2022

MollyRose wrote:

I'm not abandoning MemoQ. I still use it all the time on one computer (Windows), but I have installed CafeTran on my Mac to use for other reasons.

It would be interesting and relevant (for other Mac users) what these reasons are. Could you please elaborate on them?

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
My bad Apr 6, 2022

German-Dutch Engineering Translation wrote:

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I just created a new project with a ProjectTM and switched a couple of times between read-only and write-enabled. There was no message at all and the segment was saved in the TM.

From other projects I remember CafeTran Espresso giving a message that it would reload the glossary, after switching from read-only to write-enabled.

My bad. I see now a TM can be set as read-only and then as read-and-write without the need for closing and reopening it. This is great.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Yep Apr 6, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

I see now a TM can be set as read-only and then as read-and-write without the need for closing and reopening it. This is great.

Yep, behind the screens, under the bonnet, Igor is constantly improving CafeTran Espresso. It's hard to document that, as you might have experienced .

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reasons Apr 6, 2022

This has nothing to do with which program might be easier to use. The fact is MemoQ works on the PC and CafeTran works on the Mac. I liked some things in CafeTran that Trados and mQ didn't have, especially selecting something from the source and it automatically pasted it into the target! This eliminates a few steps and clicks. I am glad that I can translate from pdf in Cafetran now; that option wasn't available back then.

The thing I miss from Trados is the ability to send packag
... See more
This has nothing to do with which program might be easier to use. The fact is MemoQ works on the PC and CafeTran works on the Mac. I liked some things in CafeTran that Trados and mQ didn't have, especially selecting something from the source and it automatically pasted it into the target! This eliminates a few steps and clicks. I am glad that I can translate from pdf in Cafetran now; that option wasn't available back then.

The thing I miss from Trados is the ability to send packages between translator and reviewer. If someone sends me their translation for review, I can see at a glance if their target section matches my TM exactly, and what the differences are with track changes showing. That way I can decide if I like their variation or if I should edit it, and if I should make changes or add to my TM. MemoQ doesn't do that. The best it does is allow the program to highlight it a reddish color, but I have to read both versions to see What is different. Sometimes I don't see any difference. Other times, there are differences but it doesn't highlight the segment, so I still have to read all that in MemoQ.
Collapse

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, Jean Apr 6, 2022

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my specific questions. It is a big help!

I try to avoid a cluttered TM, too. I have been saving segments, then after getting the project back from the reviewer, I delete and replace with new TU's when needed. This way I have the TM there in case I need to import the file and populate it again, but I don't end up keeping TUs that should be discarded. In CafeTran, I will probably use the Project TM as you suggest and then join later wit
... See more
I appreciate you taking the time to answer my specific questions. It is a big help!

I try to avoid a cluttered TM, too. I have been saving segments, then after getting the project back from the reviewer, I delete and replace with new TU's when needed. This way I have the TM there in case I need to import the file and populate it again, but I don't end up keeping TUs that should be discarded. In CafeTran, I will probably use the Project TM as you suggest and then join later with the big one. I just didn't want a whole lot of little project tms taking up a bunch of space in my computer.
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Packages and Tracked Changes Apr 7, 2022

I’m not sure that I completely understand what exactly you mean but are you aware that CafeTran supports Packages and Tracked Changes?

If it’s possible (privacy) and you want to elaborate on this (time), you could post some screenshots to illustrate what you are referring to.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TC Apr 7, 2022

MollyRose wrote:

The thing I miss from Trados is the ability to send packages between translator and reviewer.

https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/356977-workflow_studio_and_cafetran_with_tracked_changes_–_interoperability.html

[Edited at 2022-04-07 10:46 GMT]

MollyRose
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply in other thread Apr 7, 2022

I posted a reply in the thread you mentioned, German-Dutch. It took me a long time to make an answer. Besides finding examples, I then snipped and pasted into a Word document, along with my answer. But when I pasted into ProZ, only the text showed and not the examples. I then made it into a pdf, took a snapshot, and copied that into another Word doc, and tried copying and pasting here, but that didn't work either. That's why there are no pictures in my answer in the Workflow ... thread.
... See more
I posted a reply in the thread you mentioned, German-Dutch. It took me a long time to make an answer. Besides finding examples, I then snipped and pasted into a Word document, along with my answer. But when I pasted into ProZ, only the text showed and not the examples. I then made it into a pdf, took a snapshot, and copied that into another Word doc, and tried copying and pasting here, but that didn't work either. That's why there are no pictures in my answer in the Workflow ... thread.

[Edited at 2022-04-07 17:23 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To enable or disable Project Memory, language names don't match

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »