Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')
Thread poster: Natalia Eklund
Sandra B.
Sandra B.
Portugal
Local time: 18:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Suggestion Jun 7, 2009

mdarron wrote:

this new search is awkward and uncomfortable to use.. I liked the old version so much better!

A suggestion to Proz: as many, like me, seem not to like this new version, why not allow people to use the old version if they want so? I think the way one is used to use this tool and which features one uses really make a differente in liking or disliking this version, that may be suitable for ones, but definitely not for others.
The number of extra clicks I have to do, not having all the options right away available really makes it time consuming and annoying.

sandra

[Edited at 2009-06-07 16:07 GMT]

Margarita Palatnik (X)
Margarita Palatnik (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
my languages Jun 8, 2009

It´s extremely annoying to have to go through 500 obscure languages in order to find mine, which are the exotic Spanish, English and Portuguese. Why there is not an option to select from my working pairs is something I still don´t understand.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
My pairs Jun 8, 2009

Margarita Palatnik wrote:

It´s extremely annoying to have to go through 500 obscure languages in order to find mine, which are the exotic Spanish, English and Portuguese. Why there is not an option to select from my working pairs is something I still don´t understand.

Click on My pairs. It's on the right, in red, next to the language boxes.

Margarita Palatnik (X)
Margarita Palatnik (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
sorry Jun 8, 2009

for my earlier post, it turns out I was not logged in!

cquest
cquest  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:49
English to Polish
+ ...
problem with search strings? Jun 12, 2009

I found something strange - when I type in a term with a hyphen (yyy-xxx) I don't get any search results. But when I type in only the second part (xxx) I get all results with xxx (whole words only ticked) INCLUDING yyy-xxx.
In other words, to find a term made up with 2 words, e.g. with NON- as the prefix, you have to look up the word without the prefix.

It wasn't like that before... .

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
so, are you not implementing my suggestion.. Jun 12, 2009

of having a "your search produced no results" message?
That's a shame - surely it would be easy enough, and useful for users...?

MacLeod Cushing
MacLeod Cushing
Canada
Local time: 10:49
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Specific Fields Jun 15, 2009

You should put the specific fields in alphabetical order, as they used to be.

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Good suggestion Jun 15, 2009

MacLeod Cushing wrote:

You should put the specific fields in alphabetical order, as they used to be.

Excellent idea.

Colin, can you do that?

Rosanna Palermo
Rosanna Palermo  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:49
Member (2006)
Italian to English

That happened to 3 years of answers? Jun 15, 2009

Gentlemen,
I have been a member for quite some time and I have noticed that many useful, valid information and most importantly explanations included with the terms search answers have simply disappeared.
I contributed a great deal over the years and I am certainly not alone: Jim Davis, Angela Arnone, Peter Cox, Gian, Giovanni Pizzati, Texjack are just a few of the esteemed peers whose answers simply disappeared from the search.

I hate to say but this is not "kosher" a
... See more
Gentlemen,
I have been a member for quite some time and I have noticed that many useful, valid information and most importantly explanations included with the terms search answers have simply disappeared.
I contributed a great deal over the years and I am certainly not alone: Jim Davis, Angela Arnone, Peter Cox, Gian, Giovanni Pizzati, Texjack are just a few of the esteemed peers whose answers simply disappeared from the search.

I hate to say but this is not "kosher" as it deprives the entire community of the knowledge painstakingly researched and shared by all.

If you compare just the "old" finance answers that appeared when searching for "riscontri" Italian to English and viceversa with the current ones you will find a great disprepancy in numbers.
Engineering terms have suffered the same fate.

If server space is an issue, I wish you would have found a way to retain what we all use most day-in and day-out instead of adding sub categories in the Directories and Community videos? .. ecc. ecc. that may drum up business for you but to nothing much for those who don't have the time to look at them.

I work 40+ hours a week joined and rely on your site for what it originally was: a tool by which to access a vast pool of knowledge that now seems to have been reduced to just a puddle.

We don't need another "facebook" if it means foregoing precious information. Please find a way to eliminate some frills and restore the terms search answers database.
Collapse

Jaime Oriard
Jaime Oriard  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:49
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Search results not nearly as good as before Jun 15, 2009

Hi Collin,

Some weeks ago I gave you Kudos on the implementation of the search operators. As you mentioned, these are standard everywhere and can be a great help to filter results, but as some have pointed out. They really don't work as expected.

Now, as some other colleagues have commented, the search engine is not generating the same number of hits as before, and there also seam to be problems when the options "Match entire phrase" and "Match whole words only" are use
... See more
Hi Collin,

Some weeks ago I gave you Kudos on the implementation of the search operators. As you mentioned, these are standard everywhere and can be a great help to filter results, but as some have pointed out. They really don't work as expected.

Now, as some other colleagues have commented, the search engine is not generating the same number of hits as before, and there also seam to be problems when the options "Match entire phrase" and "Match whole words only" are used.

Some weeks ago, when people started complaining I thought it was not really a problem with the search engine but a matter of getting used to the new options and finding the right combination, but after many weeks of intensively using the KudoZ feature, I have realized that they were right! The results now are not nearly as good as they were before.

This feature is the one I use the most and would really prefer to have the old search engine instead of this new one, regardless of the GUI you decide to use (the old GUI was better, though).

I hope you really listen to all the complaints people have been making!

Best,
Collapse

Laerte da Silva
Laerte da Silva  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Colin Jun 17, 2009

This is an old request of mine. Please, add a web search button when the proz search is void in the same page ou as a check box option automatic search.

All the best,

Laerte

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
German words with accents - case-sensible? Jun 17, 2009

The new search system seems to make a difference between between upper-case and lower-case letters. Would it be possible to obtain the same results for words entered in upper-case or lower-case?

For example, I tried to search for a word with the letter "Ü" and since I did not get any of the results presented by Google, I then entered the word in small-case and finally got some results.

Salvador Eguiarte D.G.
Salvador Eguiarte D.G.
Mexico
Local time: 11:49
English to Spanish
Thanks for the speed boost on the selection of languages and a suggestion Jun 18, 2009

I noticed I can go directly to the languages I need to search terms in, at blazing speed.
Thank you lots for that!!!
May I suggest that when there are no terms found,if you could have a link to direct us non stop to the question page?
You guys ROCK!

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
@Salvador: The link is there Jun 18, 2009

Salvador Eguiarte D.G. wrote:

May I suggest that when there are no terms found,if you could have a link to direct us non stop to the question page?

In the right column, below the "Feedback on the page" link and to the right of the "zero results" line: "Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a KudoZ question"

Fernando Domeniconi
Fernando Domeniconi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:49
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Personal glossaries Jun 20, 2009

No matter the term I am searching, I never get any hits from "Personal Glossaries", and this option is checked in my "advanced options".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can the KudoZ term search function be improved? (staff: 'OK, improvements made')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »