Excel file with /n tags - segment at /n
Thread poster: Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 01:44
English to German
May 20, 2021

Hi there,

I have an Excel file that uses HTML tags and want memoQ to segment at each \n tag.

TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABEL TEXT\n\nTRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n[...]

Any ideas how I can do that? I've fiddled around with the segmentation rules and filter chains, but haven't struck gold yet.

Best

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
[Fixed post] May 20, 2021

ProZ.com's forum software killed the tags. Here is the original content:

<color=orange>TRANSLATEABLE TEXT</color>\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABEL TEXT\n\n<color=orange>TRANSLATEABLE TEXT</color>\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n[...]

[Edited at 2021-05-20 15:47 GMT]

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks / workaround May 20, 2021

Thanks, Samuel. I forgot to edit out the color tags.

I used a workaround in memoQ for now and added the dash as a segment stop - it appears after every \n tag. But I haven't yet found a way to segment at the \n tag itself. I thought that I could add the regex expression \\n to the segmentation rules, but that doesn't work.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:44
English to Russian
Segmentation rule May 21, 2021

Go to Segmentation rules, select your editable segmentation rules, click 'Edit', click 'Advanced view'.
Click 'Edit sample text' and add this sentence:
TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT
Click 'OK'.
Now, in the bottom left field, type \\n#!#
where:
\\n stands for \n as plain text;
#!# stands for 'segment here'.
Click 'Add' and check out if the sample text has changed. If this is what you expect, click OK and reimport your file.

... See more
Go to Segmentation rules, select your editable segmentation rules, click 'Edit', click 'Advanced view'.
Click 'Edit sample text' and add this sentence:
TRANSLATEABLE TEXT\n- TRANSLATEABLE TEXT
Click 'OK'.
Now, in the bottom left field, type \\n#!#
where:
\\n stands for \n as plain text;
#!# stands for 'segment here'.
Click 'Add' and check out if the sample text has changed. If this is what you expect, click OK and reimport your file.

[Edited at 2021-05-21 01:40 GMT]
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! May 21, 2021

Thanks, Stepan, that did it!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel file with /n tags - segment at /n

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »