What's the best way to prepare .doc/docx dubbing scripts?
Thread poster: Pedro Ribeiro
Pedro Ribeiro
Pedro Ribeiro
Portugal
Local time: 10:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 22, 2023

Hi everyone!

So I have these dubbing scripts I need to translate. They're .doc and .docx Word files that consist in table with three columns: character, timecode and dialogue.
Currently, I open them in MS Word, hide the "Character" and the "Timecode" column and just import it into MemoQ. I could just copy it to an Excel, yeah, and use the Excel filter, but some words are (and need to be) highlighted and Excel doesn't support word highlighting.

Could there be a sim
... See more
Hi everyone!

So I have these dubbing scripts I need to translate. They're .doc and .docx Word files that consist in table with three columns: character, timecode and dialogue.
Currently, I open them in MS Word, hide the "Character" and the "Timecode" column and just import it into MemoQ. I could just copy it to an Excel, yeah, and use the Excel filter, but some words are (and need to be) highlighted and Excel doesn't support word highlighting.

Could there be a simpler way to do it, messing around with the Word filter and not having to hide text? How would you do it?

Thank you!

EDIT: I also wanted MemoQ to segment each cell as a segment

[Edited at 2023-09-22 18:16 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:42
English to Russian
Add column 4 Sep 23, 2023

In your 3-column table copy and paste the source text column so that you have a 4-column table with two identical columns. Hide the first three columns and import the file as you did with 3 columns. Now you can apply formatting to your translation.
For paragraph based segmentation you need to remove all segmentation rules for your project, or even better create a new "segmentation rule" containing no segmentation rules. Try this video:
... See more
In your 3-column table copy and paste the source text column so that you have a 4-column table with two identical columns. Hide the first three columns and import the file as you did with 3 columns. Now you can apply formatting to your translation.
For paragraph based segmentation you need to remove all segmentation rules for your project, or even better create a new "segmentation rule" containing no segmentation rules. Try this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm0__FN83L0
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's the best way to prepare .doc/docx dubbing scripts?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »