Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]
New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 18:21
SITE FOUNDER
Clarification: Sounding board does not = legislature Mar 13, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:
... anything which significantly affected the site and/or its users was now to be debated with the community as a whole.

Hi Marie-Hélène. Thanks for posting.

I can see why you would get this impression, but it is not quite accurate. Allow me to clarify.

It has not been the case that every significant site development was agreed upon, or even discussed among, moderators. Rather, the moderator list was, in part, a sounding board that could selectively be turned to by site staff members for feedback prior to releases. Decisions have always been made by site staff members, with any feedback received informing the decisions, but never dictating them.

Does that sound un-democratic? Perhaps. The fact is, those who have said that ProZ.com is a business, and that members are the customers, are right. ProZ.com should not be viewed as a sort of society, with legislative bodies, voting, or other such institutions. We on the staff are just a group of people doing our best to produce "tools and opportunities" that translators will like, use and pay for.

For those who would like additional insight into the staff decision-making process, I would add the following:

* It is important to note that feedback received in forums -- whether from moderators or members -- is only one form of input that factors into decision-making. Other important forms of input are the information gleaned from members who have entered support tickets, and -- this one is most important of all -- what I refer to as member "usage patterns". To make good development decisions, we have to look at what the entire body of members is doing, not just what a fraction of members are saying in the forums.

* Part of the process of engaging in user-led development is the post-release period. We do not think of a feature as being done when it is released, it is only done when it has been adopted and is being used. Bad features like this star (sorry, team!) tend to get fixed quickly. Believe it or not, that is part of the plan.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-13 16:42 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Hm, M. Ali? Mar 13, 2009

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
Henry D wrote:
Yes, as it is a different topic, it would probably be best put in a separate thread.

To put in a thread where discussion of Ps prohibited?
or to put in a thread to be locked?

Is discussion of the P prohibited somewhere?

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Yes, here (off-topic by the way) Mar 13, 2009

Henry D wrote:

M. Ali Bayraktar wrote:
Henry D wrote:
Yes, as it is a different topic, it would probably be best put in a separate thread.

To put in a thread where discussion of Ps prohibited?
or to put in a thread to be locked?

Is discussion of the P prohibited somewhere?

http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/12#12
The Certified PRO network screening process should not be discussed in the forums. To maintain the integrity of the screening process for the Certified PRO network, specifics of the process should not be discussed in the forums. Details related to one's personal experience in the screening process for the Certified PRO network, including reasons received for acceptance or denial of one's application, should not be discussed in the forums. Questions may be submitted via support request.

That means, we can say only "How the good feature is it" that's all.

If go inside and question the process (rules say that) it is prohibited.

For example if you would have put there a rule like

"The New Golden Star Signs should not be discussed in the forums."

Then this star would never be canceled, right ?

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 16:21
German to English
Focus group - the right stuff Mar 13, 2009

Kevin Lossner wrote:

I think this little incident is a good example of how quickly little things can mushroom out of control if they are not properly vetted with a focus group like I presume moderators used to do. I'm not suggesting that you go back to the old regime in that respect since I really don't know what the scope of it was, but you could probably save yourself a few headaches by setting up a focus group or two reflecting the cultural diversity of the site and asking these folks about "improvements" before they go live. I'm sure that won't avoid all troubles, but I'll bet it catches a lot. Some companies pay a lot of money for the feedback that users here are likely willing to give to you for free. Take advantage of that.

Absolutely, Kevin, but whoever selects and manages a focus group for site improvements should be an experienced and qualified veteran translator. And the group should be comprised of people with similar backgrounds: hands-on experts, people who are not afraid to speak up and challenge ideas that aren't suitable for professional translators. The moderators who left when they were no longer permitted to discuss site changes in their forum had the right stuff.

Mirella Soffio
Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:21
English to Italian
+ ...
Good point Mar 13, 2009

Henry D wrote:

To make good development decisions, we have to look at what the entire body of members is doing, not just what a fraction of members are saying in the forums.

Mirella

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:21
SITE STAFF
Clarification on forum rule 12 Mar 13, 2009

Hello M. Ali,

Please note that http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/12#12 refers to "the Certified PRO network screening process" and "details related to one's personal experience in the screening process for the Certified PRO network, including reasons received for acceptance or denial of one's application". Discussion of the program itself is welcome.

Best regards,
... See more
Hello M. Ali,

Please note that http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/12#12 refers to "the Certified PRO network screening process" and "details related to one's personal experience in the screening process for the Certified PRO network, including reasons received for acceptance or denial of one's application". Discussion of the program itself is welcome.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same diff Mar 13, 2009

Jared wrote:

Hello M. Ali,

Best regards,

Jared

It is the inner workings of the (in)famous "P", i.e. the "screening process" to obtain it, what many of us want to know about and what causes mistrust or reticence. By saying "you can talk about the program, but not about the screening process" you are basically saying "you can pat us on the back, engage in idle chit-chat, and be on your merry way".

What else of substance is there to discuss regarding the program, if not the vetting process itself? Whether the tone of red chosen for th "P" should be taken down a notch in order to look more professional?

Sorry, Henry & Jared, but that makes no sense.

Greetings
Andrea

[Edited at 2009-03-13 20:10 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »