Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >
New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')
Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:12
Italian to English
+ ...
Timing Mar 12, 2009

Giles Watson wrote:

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

I've been trying to keep an open mind about the recent changes and think positively, but I can't help but think that this gold star business demonstrates that the site has got its priorities totally wrong.

Hi M-H,

Perhaps "totally wrong" is a bit OTT.

Giles

OK, so I may have exaggerated. In any case, from Henry's post it seems that it was as much a matter of bad timing as anything else.

Anyway, they're gone now... for better or worse.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 13:12
SITE FOUNDER
You are right that something will have to change, Viktoria Mar 12, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
Thanks, Henry, for telling us a bit about where that yellow star comes from. However, there are still missing pieces.

From what you wrote, what I understand is that anybody can suggest anything, and if the person on the receiving end thinks it is a good idea, it is implemented.

You're right, to a degree.

Understand, though, that much of what goes through the system is not controversial in any way. As an example, one current ticket calls for a link to an external site that no longer exists to be removed. Not much reason to discuss that. And there are maybe 10 such tickets implemented per day.

If an issue seems like it requires discussion, discussion is usually raised by the people on the front lines. This has been an informal process. There is no question that in this case, a flaw has been exposed; this should have been discussed, but wasn't. Obviously we'll have to make some sort of internal adjustment.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:12
Member (2004)
English to Italian
so... Mar 12, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Frankly, I don't like it.

no star for you, then...

judt noticed... where's my star! It's gone... I quite liked it...

[Edited at 2009-03-12 18:22 GMT]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Excellent idea for a new thread Mar 12, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Expressing appreciation for people who have supported the site for some time makes sense to me. So I have asked our folks to look for a way to do that without adding another image.

Thanks for removing the stars.

Would you mind starting a thread and calling for suggestions before just announcing something that might get us all going again?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
We'll take a pass at it first Mar 12, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:
Henry D wrote:
Expressing appreciation for people who have supported the site for some time makes sense to me. So I have asked our folks to look for a way to do that without adding another image.

Thanks for removing the stars.

Would you mind starting a thread and calling for suggestions before just announcing something that might get us all going again?

Thanks, Lawyer-Linguist, but in this particular case I expect the most expedient thing will be to have one of our team take a pass at it.

If you don't like it, you'll tell us and we can open it up for discussion. (Or just drop it and do nothing.)

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Could be a sticky topic Mar 12, 2009

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Yup, and I suggest for that thread to be sticky. Oh, wait! Sticky topics would be one of the suggestions in that thread. Hmmmm... Chicken or egg?

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Good riddance Mar 12, 2009

Thanks for scrapping those silly stars, Henry & team. It was a nice thought in principle, and I appreciate the idea of "payback", but basic good management of the site pretty much pays me back my few euros invested. I think this little incident is a good example of how quickly little things can mushroom out of control if they are not properly vetted with a focus group like I presume moderators used to do. I'm not suggesting that you go back to the old regime in that respect since I really... See more
Thanks for scrapping those silly stars, Henry & team. It was a nice thought in principle, and I appreciate the idea of "payback", but basic good management of the site pretty much pays me back my few euros invested. I think this little incident is a good example of how quickly little things can mushroom out of control if they are not properly vetted with a focus group like I presume moderators used to do. I'm not suggesting that you go back to the old regime in that respect since I really don't know what the scope of it was, but you could probably save yourself a few headaches by setting up a focus group or two reflecting the cultural diversity of the site and asking these folks about "improvements" before they go live. I'm sure that won't avoid all troubles, but I'll bet it catches a lot. Some companies pay a lot of money for the feedback that users here are likely willing to give to you for free. Take advantage of that.Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:12
Spanish
+ ...
The image of ProZ Mar 12, 2009

I think that the appearance of ProZ is part of the problem. Each day ProZ looks more like one of those flashy commercial sites with so many unnecessary features (fortunately the stars are gone) and less like a professional web site.

I'm not talking about the content or the actual features. In fact, I really appreciate that the staff is always willing to implement new ways to make the site better. It's the appearance of the site that's becoming a problem. It's just too cluttered. ... See more
I think that the appearance of ProZ is part of the problem. Each day ProZ looks more like one of those flashy commercial sites with so many unnecessary features (fortunately the stars are gone) and less like a professional web site.

I'm not talking about the content or the actual features. In fact, I really appreciate that the staff is always willing to implement new ways to make the site better. It's the appearance of the site that's becoming a problem. It's just too cluttered. Too many tabs, too many text boxes, too many icons, and also, there's the featured translator, the corporate member, the kudoz leader, the ads. And the list goes on. And let's not forget the Google Ads. Yesterday, I tried to go to the Articles section and I couldn't find it. I knew it was there, buried in a tab somewhere, I just didn't see it. I was about to give up when I finally clicked on one of the feature articles, and from there, I was able to go to the main Articles page. I come to the site everyday and I feel overwhelmed with the amount of information. Imagine the first-time visitor who just wants to hire a translator or an interpreter and leave. The image of ProZ --and its members-- is based on the appearance of the web site.

Why not removing certain things from the front page. Make it more minimalistic. Like a welcome screen, and from then on, the visitor can choose where to go, what s/he wants to do or what kind of visitor s/he is. Like a company that wants to hire a professional, a translator that wants to check out the website or someone that wants to find a term. The occasional visitor doesn't need to see which items are being exchanged or that there's a powwow in Barcelona or an InDesign seminar. Logged users could also have a way to customize the appearance of the site.

[Edited at 2009-03-12 20:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-13 03:09 GMT]
Collapse

Arnaud HERVE
Arnaud HERVE  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:12
English to French
+ ...
Clutter Mar 12, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:
Each day ProZ looks more like one of those flashy commercial sites with so many unnecessary features (fortunately the stars are gone) and less like a professional web site.

That's true. It's definitely cluttered. It can also look like some of those vintage PHPnuke teenagers communities where all possible blocks were activated.

I think Kudoz and Forums could be removed from the front page. I am also not interested in knowing how many people are logged in.

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:12
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
You can configure that! Mar 12, 2009

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

I think Kudoz and Forums could be removed from the front page. I am also not interested in knowing how many people are logged in.

You can configure your home page taking the KudoZ and Forums boxes away. Just go to

My ProZ.com -> My settings -> Site settings

In that page you will be able to configure your homepage view of latest KudoZ questions, Connect! jobs, latest job postings, latest forum posts and upcoming events.

Regards,
Enrique

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
I think you missed the point Mar 12, 2009

Enrique wrote:

Arnaud HERVE wrote:

You can configure your home page taking the KudoZ and Forums boxes away. Just go to

My ProZ.com -> My settings -> Site settings

I think Arnaud and others are more concerned about what visitors will see and whether they will be able to find services which they might want (other than sexy Ukrainian girls, of course). I think a default view for everyone which is much less cluttered would be a very good thing.

Take a look at the home page for the German translators association of which I am a member: http://www.bdue.de/indexen.php. I hate the animations (I prefer "quiet" pages personally), but what I do like is the limited amount of information on the first page and the prominent invitation to search for a translator. And guess what? It works. I have a lot of individuals and direct customers contact me through that channel. It happens once in a while on ProZ, but mostly it's just agencies and spammers who have the patience to sort out the system.

Find the time to have a chat with Jakob Nielsen perhaps or read his work, and you might get a few ideas to add more value than gold stars ever will.

Edited to add:

I just noticed that ITI has similar explicit instructions for finding a service provider on its home page. I think the interests of members might be served well if some of the home page "real estate" devoted to job listings and KudoZ were replaced by guidance for individuals and businesses looking for service providers. Perhaps with a bit of SEO to rake 'em in, too.

[Edited at 2009-03-12 20:50 GMT]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
I must have been mistaken ... Mar 12, 2009

Henry D wrote:

Thanks, Lawyer-Linguist, but in this particular case I expect the most expedient thing will be to have one of our team take a pass at it.

If you don't like it, you'll tell us and we can open it up for discussion. (Or just drop it and do nothing.)

... but I can swear I read somewhere that the whole idea behind the recent change in moderator status was to use the community more as a sounding board.

FWIW, I had some simple, effective, cheap and positive ideas and know from what has been said behind the scenes that I certainly wasn't the only one.

Oh well, another day perhaps ....

[Edited at 2009-03-13 05:44 GMT]

sarandor
sarandor  Identity Verified
United States
English to Russian
+ ...
First impression is important Mar 13, 2009

Agree with Kevin and others who want a more streamlined layout:

Kevin Lossner wrote:

..but what I do like is the limited amount of information on the first page and the prominent invitation to search for a translator. And guess what? It works. I have a lot of individuals and direct customers contact me through that channel. It happens once in a while on ProZ, but mostly it's just agencies and spammers who have the patience to sort out the system.

When I was just starting as a freelancer, for several months I was avoiding Proz because it seemed too busy, flashy, confusing, and ... yellow. It took me some time to get used to the layout. Now Proz is my favorite site, and I don't even mind the signature yellow as much.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
Makes me feel younger ;) Mar 13, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

You could make it even more infantile by adding a number for the number of years in ProZ.

Last time I got golden stars I was in the primary school (1st grade) and since I was the best reader of the whole classroom I got golden stars.

I feel like I am a little bit too old for it now (I see you guys changed ideas, that makes me feel better)

[Edited at 2009-03-13 04:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-13 04:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New golden stars to acknowledge long term membership ('Canceled')

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »