Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Danger: Computers generating text
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 16:48
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
I prefer not to laugh. Dec 6, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:

Believe it or not, despite having a lot of educated consultants, corporations are easily impressed if you present them with anything that will “cut down their costs”. They will just run for the cost saving part without much critically analyzing anything. Then they will see just the one side and ignore the other (such as problems, errors, time consumption, additional costs from such a solution).

I prefer not to laugh at presumably rather dumb corporations that welcome crappy solutions to cut down costs. I'm afraid they are a non-representative minority. Quite some people in my inner circle that work for a corporation tell me that DeepL is increasingly used for internal communication because they are impressed by what it already achieves (mind you: probably all internal corporation communication used to be translated by professional translators). Of course they still need a professional to deliver top quality translations, but make no mistake : awareness of the benefits of DeepL and the like is growing among end clients and that will inevitably influence our work rates in the future.

I'm not a fear-mongerer, I think translators will still have their place in a MT centered environment (and since two years I'm putting everything in place to make sure I still will be part of it by then), but I do believe that the majority of translators who refuse to adapt to this technology will be forced to leave the industry sooner or later.

My conclusion : we shouldn't laugh AI away, because it is here to stay (my calendar full of translation-related rhymes like these will be released soon). It would be better to monitor it closely and find ways to integrate it into your translation activity in order to survive in the longer term. Because that is at least my plan: if translation as we know it is to disappear (something I don't believe yet), I will go down with it until the very last second.

[Edited at 2022-12-06 12:29 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 17:48
English to Russian
+ ...
I am not entertained Dec 6, 2022

Books, music, and art created by AI: what are they for? Entertainment only? Or do we have hope that one day, when they start building AI systems with as many connections as we have in our brain, those systems will begin to bring us knowledge, inspiration, and wisdom? I know what it feels like to read a book that's smarter than me and how hard it can be to gain insights into simple things. On the other hand, there are people who seem to believe that knowledge is acquired by memorizing facts and s... See more
Books, music, and art created by AI: what are they for? Entertainment only? Or do we have hope that one day, when they start building AI systems with as many connections as we have in our brain, those systems will begin to bring us knowledge, inspiration, and wisdom? I know what it feels like to read a book that's smarter than me and how hard it can be to gain insights into simple things. On the other hand, there are people who seem to believe that knowledge is acquired by memorizing facts and stats (there are tons of content targeting such people, and I guess they do enjoy becoming smarter every day by learning new facts and stats and looking at pretty pictures – don't ask me how I know). AI should be quite helpful when it comes to that kind of easy knowledge. According to certain sources, AI is already really good at diagnosing health conditions but can't explain its findings to humans because those findings are obtained in very complex ways. Translation AI is probably just as complex but what it can't do is generate ideas (which are definitely among the most valuable assets in our profession). Maybe the only problem is the number of connections. As an 'analog' person, I'm not too fond of the prospect of turning to AI for entertainment. I can always talk to my imaginary audience if I'm boredCollapse

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Danger: Computers generating text

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »