apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 12:36
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Application 2, coming with a credo, on knees. Apr 7, 2010

(Pablos comment taken as base, edited.)

Dear Colleague: May I please also offer you my services as I honestly believe in the freedom of market, the financial crisis and my own power to set translators' prices.
I can even finish it well before Pablos proposed deadline and at a quite lower price due to my long experience and very fast typing, which allows me to offer prices far below any newbie living on a caribbean island without rents, without superfluous paying for food (coc
... See more

Dear Colleague: May I please also offer you my services as I honestly believe in the freedom of market, the financial crisis and my own power to set translators' prices.
I can even finish it well before Pablos proposed deadline and at a quite lower price due to my long experience and very fast typing, which allows me to offer prices far below any newbie living on a caribbean island without rents, without superfluous paying for food (coconuts grow there on the trees for free and I btw. feel good with my time waisted trendy silhouette) and, of course, without expenses for internet connectivity (unnecessary to mention that this island I also believe in).
Even more: Due to my professional speed coming with my experience, I can offer rates even lower than those of any inventive MT editor who just discovered a new biz idea with some help of google and a biz plan written on a handkerchief.
That's why your offered rate in your offered currency a bit smaller than coconuts is no problem for me.
So, I offer a 70% discount to you, but please assign the triple number of words to me, as otherwise I will have a boring day.

Looking forward to your reply. TIA (Tortilla Industry Association).

[Edited at 2010-04-07 08:37 GMT]
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
alemán al español
+ ...
Do translators need sleep? Apr 7, 2010

apk12 wrote:

I can even finish it well before Pablos proposed deadline and at a quite lower price due to my long experience and very fast typing, which allows me to offer prices far below any newbie living on a caribbean island without rents, without superfluous paying for food (coconuts grow there on the trees for free and I btw. feel good with my time waisted trendy silhouette) and, of course, without expenses for internet connectivity (unnecessary to mention that this island I also believe in).
Even more: Due to my professional speed coming with my experience, I can offer rates even lower than those of any inventive MT editor who just discovered a new biz idea with some help of google and a biz plan written on a handkerchief.
That's why your offered rate in your offered currency a bit smaller than coconuts is no problem for me.
So, I offer a 70% discount to you, but please assign the triple number of words to me, as otherwise I will have a boring day.

Looking forward to your reply. TIA (Tortilla Industry Association).

Noch besser! Wer gibt mehr? By the way, the handkerchief was a fabric or a paper one ? Bear in mind you should save some coconuts to retire and also stay environmentally friendly ;o)

[Editado a las 2010-04-07 10:10 GMT]

apk12
apk12  Identity Verified
Alemania
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Händkerschief für bisnesplän Apr 7, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Noch besser! Wer gibt mehr? By the way, the handkerchief was a fabric or a paper one ? Bear in mind you should save some coconuts to retire and also stay environmentally friendly ;o)

Well, let's see. Wenn ich bin suksesful mit meinen 0.009, auf die ich es ja derzeit von den 0.015 heruntergebogen habe, dann can I afford - nämlich selbst ich dann und nicht nur meine 0.02-konkurrenten - eine (1) ganze händkerschief. Für einen (1) ganzen bisnesplän (bzw. das, was da draufpasst). - Yeah, mal sehen, wer 0.005 bietet. Freiwillige?

And yes, you're right. Coconuts for when I retire, I should buy a box for them. (Would be empty with 0.009 as much as with 0.02 or 0.04, but who cares about such details.) First what you should think about when you start thinking about sparing some coconuts (or the smaller currency offered here) is a box for them. Now how to find a coconut box for 0.009. Hm.

Ah, who cares. When I am ready to retire, I will have SO MUCH of experience that I can offer my experienced speed even for 0.0005 p.w.

So - who needs health insurance or retire? ;]

[Edited at 2010-04-07 15:19 GMT]

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
Francia
francés al inglés
+ ...
I just love translating Apr 7, 2010

I should be delighted to help you out and can offer to translate 30,000 words in two days. I am the ideal candidate for your company to employ as I have more or less given up sleeping and eating except for snacks (prepared for me by my partner) that I can nibble while translating. I am retired and now have an independent income, so I am liberated from the need to translate for money and translate because I love it so much.

I should be more than happy to work for the cost of elec
... See more
I should be delighted to help you out and can offer to translate 30,000 words in two days. I am the ideal candidate for your company to employ as I have more or less given up sleeping and eating except for snacks (prepared for me by my partner) that I can nibble while translating. I am retired and now have an independent income, so I am liberated from the need to translate for money and translate because I love it so much.

I should be more than happy to work for the cost of electricity and coffee. In my 30 years of working for agencies, I never earned enough to be able to take time off to develop distracting interests or hobbies or to make friends who would make demands upon my time. Now, I am free to translate all the time and wouldn't want to do anything else. When my last computer burnt out, the stress of not translating was unbelievable. Fortunately, I was able to proof-read for two days until the replacement computer arrived. I also had a shower and slept for five hours. Language is my passion and as I cannot write novels or poetry and find the opportunities for personal correspondence limited, I can only thank you for your generous offer and do so hope that you accept my application.
Collapse

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 11:36
Miembro 2010
inglés al portugués
+ ...
apparently not Apr 7, 2010

as the other day an agency called my residence at 5 and 6 am, and then sent me an e-mail telling me off for not picking up. I replied saying timezones and text messages do exist and I can reply to them as soon as I am up. They haven't been sending me offers, apparently 'I am not there for them' - touching.

[Edited at 2010-04-07 18:33 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 03:36
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Something is missing, though Apr 7, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

"Dear Colleague,

“We are offering translators the rare opportunity to work with our agency. It is Friday afternoon and we have 2,567,000 words that must to be translated in two days. Please do not bother to respond if you cannot meet this deadline (we need to have everything back by 3:00 pm this Sunday) of if you are not able to translate more than 20,000 words by this time. We know that this is a lot, but we could not say no to this great money-making opportunity for us and this great opportunity for some new translators to get some great experience. We need to roundup at least 115 more translators, so if you can type your name, you have the job. However, we do prefer translators who can offer good quality, are prompt and who offer discounts for large projects and for TRADOS repetitions. Because of the great volume of this job, we have very low budget and can pay no more than .03 a word, so please give us your very, very best, best-friends forever rate because we are a great company and we deserve it and please place the rate in the subject line (because of the rush schedule we do not have time to qualify anyone and only translators with the best rates will get the work). However, please note that even though you will be working for two days and nights without sleep on this highly-technical text, if our client finds that you have made even one small error, you will not be paid. The subject matter is very interesting and several of our translators have actually offered to do this job for us for free, but we understand if you need a little money to help defray the cost of electricity to operate your computer and coffee to stay awake. Translators are responsible for editing their own work – unfortunately, there is no money in the budget for us to do anything but pass your work on to the client. If only we could find a way to eliminate the need for silly translators from this process, our clients would be happy and we could make more money. However, once we piece together the work of over 100 high-quality translators like you working without sleep for less than 1/5 of the going rate, we are confident that our client will order more work from us in the future. Despite the rush nature of this project, translators will not be paid for 90 days.”

How come that the lucky candidates don't have to do a test translation first? Two pages, unpaid and in an unrelated technical field, of course.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
alemán al español
+ ...
Do translators need sleep? " Apr 7, 2010

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

"Dear Colleague,

“We are offering translators the rare opportunity to work with our agency. It is Friday afternoon and we have 2,567,000 words that must to be translated in two days. Please do not bother to respond if you cannot meet this deadline (we need to have everything back by 3:00 pm this Sunday) of if you are not able to translate more than 20,000 words by this time. We know that this is a lot, but we could not say no to this great money-making opportunity for us and this great opportunity for some new translators to get some great experience. We need to roundup at least 115 more translators, so if you can type your name, you have the job. However, we do prefer translators who can offer good quality, are prompt and who offer discounts for large projects and for TRADOS repetitions. Because of the great volume of this job, we have very low budget and can pay no more than .03 a word, so please give us your very, very best, best-friends forever rate because we are a great company and we deserve it and please place the rate in the subject line (because of the rush schedule we do not have time to qualify anyone and only translators with the best rates will get the work). However, please note that even though you will be working for two days and nights without sleep on this highly-technical text, if our client finds that you have made even one small error, you will not be paid. The subject matter is very interesting and several of our translators have actually offered to do this job for us for free, but we understand if you need a little money to help defray the cost of electricity to operate your computer and coffee to stay awake. Translators are responsible for editing their own work – unfortunately, there is no money in the budget for us to do anything but pass your work on to the client. If only we could find a way to eliminate the need for silly translators from this process, our clients would be happy and we could make more money. However, once we piece together the work of over 100 high-quality translators like you working without sleep for less than 1/5 of the going rate, we are confident that our client will order more work from us in the future. Despite the rush nature of this project, translators will not be paid for 90 days.”

How come that the lucky candidates don't have to do a test translation first? Two pages, unpaid and in an unrelated technical field, of course.

Yes! After applying, I felt there was something wrong with this job. But, I could not realise exactly out what it was. Now, I know what it was! Nicole, thanks a lot to take my attention to this. Only two unpaid translation test pages seem unfair to me. I will call them at once asking for a 20 pages unpaid translation test and not one page less!

Now, I feel happy!

[Editado a las 2010-04-07 20:14 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
I love this thread! Apr 7, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Yes! After applying, I felt there was something wrong with this job. But, I could not realise exactly out what it was. Now, I know what it was! Nicole, thanks a lot to take my attention to this. Only two unpaid translation test pages seem unfair to me. I will call them at once asking for a 20 pages unpaid translation test and not one page less!

Now, I feel happy!

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 06:36
español al inglés
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Dear Translators Apr 7, 2010

Thank you all for sending in your quotes and test translations. However, the client has decided to have the translation done in house.

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Awww! Apr 7, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Thank you all for sending in your quotes and test translations. However, the client has decided to have the translation done in house.

Dear outsourcer,

That's too bad. Please allow me to reimburse you for the time spent on me.

Jeff Whittaker
Estados Unidos
español al inglés
+ ...
Dear Translators Apr 7, 2010

Update: The client has completed the project in under 30 minutes using Google translate. You will be pleased to know that they are now asking us to have the project edited. I hope that some of you are still available. Our budget range is US$ .005 to US$ .005 per word.

[Edited at 2010-04-07 21:28 GMT]

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Will I be qualified sufficiently? Apr 7, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Update: The client has completed the project in under 30 minutes using Google translate. You will be pleased to know that they are now asking us to have the project edited. I hope that some of you are still available. Our budget range is US$ .005 to US$ .005 per word.

[Edited at 2010-04-07 21:28 GMT]

Dear outsourcer,

It will be my pleasure to take care of the editing. However, to err is human, whereas a machine is infallible. Please allow me to provide the editing at a reduced rate as I might screw up the text. Also, I just bought insurance five minutes ago, so feel free to sue me, should the result not be to your utmost satisfaction.

Jeff Whittaker
Estados Unidos
español al inglés
+ ...
Dear Nicole, Apr 7, 2010

We're sorry. However, it appears that you are too experienced for this project. We generally only use translators with < six months experience as they tend to complain less when we don't pay on time or at all or when we reduce our rates due to alleged customer complaints. It has been our experience that translators with a lot of experience tend to be too demanding.

Nicole Schnell wrote:

Dear outsourcer,

It will be my pleasure to take care of the editing. However, to err is human, whereas a machine is infallible. Please allow me to provide the editing at a reduced rate as I might screw up the text. Also, I just bought insurance five minutes ago, so feel free to sue me, should the result not be to your utmost satisfaction.

Nicole Schnell
Estados Unidos
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
Darn, all the good jobs are taken... Apr 7, 2010

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

We're sorry. However, it appears that you are too experienced for this project. We generally only use translators with < six months experience as they tend to complain less when we don't pay on time or at all or when we reduce our rates due to alleged customer complaints. It has been our experience that translators with a lot of experience tend to be too demanding.

NMR (X)
NMR (X)
Francia
francés al neerlandés
+ ...
Dear Translator Apr 7, 2010

Just to let you know that because of all those spelling and grammar mistakes you made and your sluggish style, and although we gave you the possibility to defend yourself in the conference call we were willing to organize on your behalf, our client was all but convinced and asked us to use next time a real translator.

[next morning]
Dear Translator,
As a result of your translations, our client also had a quick look into the 40,000 word files in all the other languages w
... See more
Just to let you know that because of all those spelling and grammar mistakes you made and your sluggish style, and although we gave you the possibility to defend yourself in the conference call we were willing to organize on your behalf, our client was all but convinced and asked us to use next time a real translator.

[next morning]
Dear Translator,
As a result of your translations, our client also had a quick look into the 40,000 word files in all the other languages we delivered a month ago, found lots of mistakes there and now rejected those translations too. So we lost this project, which of course was highly strategical to us, and and our client will not be paying us. Btw, we didn't want to tell you this before, but we also found in our system that another client wasn't happy with a 200 word translation you did two years ago. We paid you in full then, but this time we cannot let it go, so please consider the PO to be cancelled.

[next month, another PM, same agency]
Dear Translator,
We have a new project for you. Are you available?

[Translator's note: this really happened]
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do translators need sleep?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »