Charging VAT
Thread poster: MandyT
MandyT
MandyT  Identity Verified
English to German
Aug 8, 2004

Hi,

As English into German freelance translator (based in France) I mostly work for UK companies and hence don’t need to charge VAT. Now I’ve been asked whether I would like to do some proofreading for a French company. Does this mean I would have to charge them VAT? If so, how does the Inland Revenue collect this money then?

Thanks for your help

Dydy

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 03:53
English to French
+ ...
depends on your turnover Aug 8, 2004

Hi Dydy!
under the French law you HAVE to charge VAT if your turnover is 100,000 FF or more. You CAN but don't have to if it's less. You still have to pay income tax on your revenue, those are different taxes.
I suggest you get in touch with your local recette des impôts for more details and more recent euro figures. Bear in mind, though, that you can't deduct the VAT you pay for your business expenses if you don't charge VAT.
Luck,
Sarah

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging VAT

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »