what to include on your business card
Thread poster: lexcetera (X)
lexcetera (X)
lexcetera (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 11, 2005

Hello Proz!

I'm a professional Legal Interpreter, Sp -Eng, currently working in the United States as a independent freelancer. I plan on getting business cards printed up. I would like to know your opinions and suggestions on how best to design them: what should I include on the card besides contact info? Any traps to look out for? Which term is more appropriate to put on the card, "Judiciary Interpreter" or "Legal Interpreter"?

If it makes a difference, my current mar
... See more
Hello Proz!

I'm a professional Legal Interpreter, Sp -Eng, currently working in the United States as a independent freelancer. I plan on getting business cards printed up. I would like to know your opinions and suggestions on how best to design them: what should I include on the card besides contact info? Any traps to look out for? Which term is more appropriate to put on the card, "Judiciary Interpreter" or "Legal Interpreter"?

If it makes a difference, my current market for work consists of attorneys who require depositions, as well as municipal courts for the usual proceedings that go on there.

Once again, I greatly appreciate your suggestions and advice from the seasoned professionals on this board.

Sincerely,

Legalace
Collapse

Jill Sommer
Jill Sommer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:10
German to English
What to include on your business card Feb 11, 2005

Dear Legalace,

At the very least you should have your name, language pair, services offered, any certifications, address, phone number, fax number, and e-mail address listed. You need your card to convince potential clients to hire you by offering all the pertinent information at a glance and all your contact information (including a cell phone if you have one). Since I don't work in the legal field I really can't answer your second question, but [certified] court interpreter and/or
... See more
Dear Legalace,

At the very least you should have your name, language pair, services offered, any certifications, address, phone number, fax number, and e-mail address listed. You need your card to convince potential clients to hire you by offering all the pertinent information at a glance and all your contact information (including a cell phone if you have one). Since I don't work in the legal field I really can't answer your second question, but [certified] court interpreter and/or judiciary interpreter seems to be the most commonly used terms. You may want to contact some members of NAJIT (National Assocation of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators and ask them or check out their web site (www.najit.org). In fact, you might want to consider joining NAJIT.

Sincerely,
Jill Sommer

[Edited at 2005-02-11 20:40]
Collapse

lexcetera (X)
lexcetera (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good Suggestions Feb 12, 2005

Hello Jill, thanks for the helpful hints. The standard contact info is pretty much what I had thought about including on the card; and I agree "judiciary" is more accuarate than the other term. I'm going to come up with a good business name first and then register it before going to the printer's.

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 03:10
English to Arabic
+ ...
Bilingual Business Card (Side 1= English and side 2 = Spanish) Feb 12, 2005

Greetings.

If I may add a design point to Jill Sommer's good suggestion of the content of your business card.

Have a two-sided bilingual card printed (embossed may be better), with your information in English shown on one side, and matching information in Spanish shown on the reverse side.

HTH.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
(English Arabic,
Kurdish and Farsi)
San Pedro, California

Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:10
Czech to German
+ ...
http://www.proz.com/post/116586#116586 Feb 13, 2005

Hi Legalace,

did you have a look at this posting? It's about almost the same question (one year ago) and there have been quite a lot of hints, maybe you will find something useful there as well.

Have a nice Sunday,

Charlotte

lexcetera (X)
lexcetera (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Link! Feb 14, 2005

Thanks for the informative link! Just what I was looking for.
The design tips are also appreciated, again thanks to everyone who responded!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to include on your business card

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »