Isabelle Redon
Isabelle Redon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:48
English to French
+ ...
Apr 11, 2018

Hi,

TWB has accepted my volunteer application. I received translation projects at regular intervals. As a starting professional translator, I'm keen to volunteer to support their organisation while fine tuning my translation skills. I also was hoping that my translations could help me building a term base in Trados. Although, I'm really willing to translate for them, I don't understand whether I can import their docs in my own CAT tool (Trados 2017) and export them back onto their
... See more
Hi,

TWB has accepted my volunteer application. I received translation projects at regular intervals. As a starting professional translator, I'm keen to volunteer to support their organisation while fine tuning my translation skills. I also was hoping that my translations could help me building a term base in Trados. Although, I'm really willing to translate for them, I don't understand whether I can import their docs in my own CAT tool (Trados 2017) and export them back onto their translation plattform.

I've contacted them and asked them that same question , unfortunately, my query has remained unanswered. I, therefore, haven't yet translated anything but it frustrates me and I was hoping that someone might be able to answer my question or offer a solution to how to deal with this query.

Many thanks for taking the time reading my post.
Isabelle Redon
Collapse

Ester Vidal
Ester Vidal  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:48
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try asking Matecat Apr 12, 2018

Hi Isabelle,

check this information about Matecat, this is the CAT tool used bt TWB, maybe it helps you:

https://www.matecat.com/faq/compatibility-cat-tools/

If not, try getting support dire
... See more
Hi Isabelle,

check this information about Matecat, this is the CAT tool used bt TWB, maybe it helps you:

If not, try getting support directly from Matecat at:

https://www.matecat.com/support/

I hope they can help you and you can begin volunteering for TWB soon. I work with them as a volunteer and I feel really useful doing it.

Have a nice day!

Ester
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Puzzled Apr 12, 2018

Isabelle Redon wrote:

I received translation projects at regular intervals.

I, therefore, haven't yet translated anything

?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
A hint: antecedent/parapgraph Apr 12, 2018

Tom, I think the first part is (1) Isabelle received translation projects at regular intervals
whereas the second--
but (2) when she wanted to use another CAT (Trados), she could't get the answer whether it was ok, so she could not translate anything [in Trados yet].

Isabelle, a colleague of mine once translated a text for TWB, which was available on-line (public, at large), so she was eligible to have a copy of HER work, of course, but how to do it properl
... See more
Tom, I think the first part is (1) Isabelle received translation projects at regular intervals
whereas the second--
but (2) when she wanted to use another CAT (Trados), she could't get the answer whether it was ok, so she could not translate anything [in Trados yet].

Isabelle, a colleague of mine once translated a text for TWB, which was available on-line (public, at large), so she was eligible to have a copy of HER work, of course, but how to do it properly...

[Edited at 2018-04-13 06:27 GMT]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:48
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can always align the source and target afterwards Apr 13, 2018

Assuming you can work with MateCat and then export the translation, that might be an option.

I have not actually tried aligning with Studio 2017, but the old WinAlign was quite worth the effort of checking the results afterwards if I wanted a document included in my TM.

You can also edit the texts before you align them, and remove unnecessary details like addresses and sensitive information that is not likely to be repeated. That kind of thing only clutters your TM any
... See more
Assuming you can work with MateCat and then export the translation, that might be an option.

I have not actually tried aligning with Studio 2017, but the old WinAlign was quite worth the effort of checking the results afterwards if I wanted a document included in my TM.

You can also edit the texts before you align them, and remove unnecessary details like addresses and sensitive information that is not likely to be repeated. That kind of thing only clutters your TM anyway.
Collapse

Isabelle Redon
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you" Your answer was really helpful:) Apr 13, 2018

Ester Vidal wrote:

Hi Isabelle,

If not, try getting support directly from Matecat at:

https://www.matecat.com/support/

I hope they can help you and you can begin volunteering for TWB soon. I work with them as a volunteer and I feel really useful doing it.

Have a nice day!

Ester

Isabelle Redon
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for taking the time to help me find a solution:) Apr 13, 2018

Christine Andersen wrote:

You can also edit the texts before you align them, and remove unnecessary details like addresses and sensitive information that is not likely to be repeated. That kind of thing only clutters your TM anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Volunteering for Translators without Borders

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »