Italian to English newbie translator needs help!
Thread poster: pentastic
pentastic
pentastic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 12, 2006

Hi everyone,

I am new member of the proz.com website. I have been a member for the past three months. I have submitted quite a few bids for translation jobs over this period of time and have had some positive feedback. However, I have not yet landed my first translation job. I realize that there are many qualified translators but I was hoping to secure some work to start building my reputation. I would love to have a veteran in the translation industry act as my mentor. Perhap
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am new member of the proz.com website. I have been a member for the past three months. I have submitted quite a few bids for translation jobs over this period of time and have had some positive feedback. However, I have not yet landed my first translation job. I realize that there are many qualified translators but I was hoping to secure some work to start building my reputation. I would love to have a veteran in the translation industry act as my mentor. Perhaps even to make some suggestions as to what I can do to improve my translating skills or establish myself in this community. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to be my mentor.

Regards,

Andrew
Collapse

Jonathan Morris
Jonathan Morris  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
WRITE TO AGENCIES Apr 13, 2006

Sorry haven't got time to be your mentor as massively overworked, but always found bidding for these jobs to be a complete waste of time. Send your CVs to the agencies (do several hundred, highlight your specialities)/offer to do a test piece for free/don't overcharge/if they ask you to fill out zillions of forms then pass on them. You're basically doing direct mail advertising of yourself and for direct mail a 1% hit rate is good, 2% is brilliant. You could buy an E-mail list for about 80 buck... See more
Sorry haven't got time to be your mentor as massively overworked, but always found bidding for these jobs to be a complete waste of time. Send your CVs to the agencies (do several hundred, highlight your specialities)/offer to do a test piece for free/don't overcharge/if they ask you to fill out zillions of forms then pass on them. You're basically doing direct mail advertising of yourself and for direct mail a 1% hit rate is good, 2% is brilliant. You could buy an E-mail list for about 80 bucks - try Alex Eames - run google search. If you understand the underlying business and your product is up to scratch, then the kind of salary figures ($100K a year) he mentions are achievable with half a dozen good agencies to whom you've proved you're reliable. Particularly with Italian. No names mentioned, but my best agency admitted to me that if they need to find more than 6 lt>Eng legal translators at once then they're screwed.

Saw your quote in passing& don't normally hang out here.
Good luck.
Soc.

pentastic wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am new member of the proz.com website. I have been a member for the past three months. I have submitted quite a few bids for translation jobs over this period of time and have had some positive feedback. However, I have not yet landed my first translation job. I realize that there are many qualified translators but I was hoping to secure some work to start building my reputation. I would love to have a veteran in the translation industry act as my mentor. Perhaps even to make some suggestions as to what I can do to improve my translating skills or establish myself in this community. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to hearing from anyone who would like to be my mentor.

Regards,

Andrew
Collapse

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Write to me in private, Andrew Apr 13, 2006

Not promising anything - like Socrates I'm up to my eyeballs and "mentoring" has an academic implication that is at odds with "commercial" commitment, but I'll see what we (IT-EN community) can come up with for you, OK?
Angela

pentastic wrote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Andrew

pentastic
pentastic  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:07
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Apr 13, 2006

Hi Socrates,

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and for making those important suggestions. I appreciate all your help.

Andrew D

socrates wrote:

Sorry haven't got time to be your mentor as massively overworked, but always found bidding for these jobs to be a complete waste of time. Send your CVs to the agencies (do several hundred, highlight your specialities)/offer to do a test piece for free/don't overcharge/if they ask you to fill out zillions of forms then pass on them. You're basically doing direct mail advertising of yourself and for direct mail a 1% hit rate is good, 2% is brilliant. You could buy an E-mail list for about 80 bucks - try Alex Eames - run google search. If you understand the underlying business and your product is up to scratch, then the kind of salary figures ($100K a year) he mentions are achievable with half a dozen good agencies to whom you've proved you're reliable. Particularly with Italian. No names mentioned, but my best agency admitted to me that if they need to find more than 6 lt>Eng legal translators at once then they're screwed.

Saw your quote in passing& don't normally hang out here.
Good luck.
Soc.

pentastic wrote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,

Andrew

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Italian to English newbie translator needs help!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »