Where can one find a list...
Thread poster: Yelena Pestereva
Yelena Pestereva
Yelena Pestereva  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2006

of major UK and US translation agencies?

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:13
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Try the telephone directory Oct 7, 2006

For the UK, there are a lot of them in the London telephone directories.

As far as I know, it is quite easy to access the yellow pages of any place in the UK and USA online, and you could look down the lists there.

It would not be immediately obvious which are the largest, but you could find that out by typing their names into Google and seeing which ones have business-like web pages.

Astrid

Yelena Pestereva
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 7, 2006

but I am afraid it's a long way. And I doubt that these yellow pages are accessible from Russia.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:13
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Try Google Oct 7, 2006

Type "List of translation agencies" including the inverted commas) into Google and set it either to "the Web" or "the UK" as you prefer. This will give you a few you can try. Some may require payment from you, which may or may not be worth while.

[Edited at 2006-10-07 11:59]

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:13
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You can access the blueboard (BB) at ProZ Oct 7, 2006

and get the list for the UK. At the same time you'll avoid to contact the black sheep (if there are any in the UK, beware!).
Regards
Heinrich

Yelena Pestereva
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much. Oct 7, 2006

But I am looking for less obvious and still shorter way.

Angela Arnone
Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aren't we all? Oct 7, 2006

It would be nice, wouldn't it Yelena?
Maybe someone's trade secrets will be revealed ... SmileyCentral.com

Angela

SmileyCentral.com
Yelena Pestereva wrote:

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Try yell.co.uk and search for "translation" or "translation agencies" Oct 7, 2006

Yelena Pestereva wrote:

Yell.co.uk is the UK's online yellow pages - this is accessible from all around the world.

I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for there, although I can't help with US agencies - presumably there is a similar US site out there!!

Best of luck in your search,

Ivana

smarinella
smarinella  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
for US agencies... Oct 7, 2006

I would open the ATA website and click on agencies of your language combination (EN>RU, isn'it?). There are a lot and all of them are Ata certified, it means reliable agencies! I did it myself long time ago and it was a success.

You can also look in proz for the websites of translators' associations in other English speaking countries (Ireland, Australia, Canada and so on). Then you open theirs web sites and see if there is a members' list.

In UK there is even an assoc
... See more
I would open the ATA website and click on agencies of your language combination (EN>RU, isn'it?). There are a lot and all of them are Ata certified, it means reliable agencies! I did it myself long time ago and it was a success.

You can also look in proz for the websites of translators' associations in other English speaking countries (Ireland, Australia, Canada and so on). Then you open theirs web sites and see if there is a members' list.

In UK there is even an association of translation agencies! With the complete lists of the members

[Edited at 2006-10-07 15:20]

[Edited at 2006-10-07 15:21]

[Edited at 2006-10-07 15:23]
Collapse

Yelena Pestereva
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I want to thank all of you. Oct 8, 2006

You are all very kind. Angela is quite right - every freelancer must find his way by himself. This is a part of our work. Once upon a time I even enjoyed it...

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Try it! Oct 12, 2006

Yelena Pestereva wrote:

but I am afraid it's a long way. And I doubt that these yellow pages are accessible from Russia.

Why wouldn't they be accessible? They are on the Net.
Just watch out, you are going to get all the yellow pages from all over the world, so pick the ones you want, UK and US.
Of course, as you said it is quite laborious to pick from those. But a bunch of key words would find you lots on the internet, without the yellow pages.

Good luck.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where can one find a list...

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »