How to charge: source or target language?
Autor vlákna: bozenalak
bozenalak
bozenalak
angličtina -> polština
+ ...
Feb 21, 2003

Hi,

Could you please tell me how to give a quote? Target or source language? My language pair is English-Polish. If I am given a document to be translated by an agency do they usually provide a wordcount. It\'s just I don\'t want to waiste my time counting every word. Thank you for all your insight.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:52
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Location Feb 21, 2003

It depends largely upon where your customer is located. In the UK, for example, the source text is usually counted; in Germany, the target text.

You have to count words manually only if a source text count is needed and you are given hard copy, not an electronic file. Otherwise, use the statistics function in your word processor or one of the dedicated text counting programs.

For a quotation, an approximate figure is usually acceptable. Again, this will
... See more
It depends largely upon where your customer is located. In the UK, for example, the source text is usually counted; in Germany, the target text.

You have to count words manually only if a source text count is needed and you are given hard copy, not an electronic file. Otherwise, use the statistics function in your word processor or one of the dedicated text counting programs.

For a quotation, an approximate figure is usually acceptable. Again, this will depend upon where you or your customer are located.

Marc

Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
Velká Británie
Local time: 20:52
finština -> angličtina
Depends who you are dealing with Feb 21, 2003

In my experience most agencies in the UK count the target text, though some count the source. In Sweden they always count the source whilst in Finland they tend to count the target.

Finnish generates up to 100% more words in English so I have two rates, although I always lose out when the source language text is counted.

Obviously agencies often prefer to count the source in able to give an immediate quote, so you should I think work out what the normal
... See more
In my experience most agencies in the UK count the target text, though some count the source. In Sweden they always count the source whilst in Finland they tend to count the target.

Finnish generates up to 100% more words in English so I have two rates, although I always lose out when the source language text is counted.

Obviously agencies often prefer to count the source in able to give an immediate quote, so you should I think work out what the normal word count rate is between Polish and English. If it is about the same anyway then there is no problem.

Best

s
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge: source or target language?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »