Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: The darker side of translation...
Thread poster: Alex Farrell (X)
JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 16:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Infanticide Aug 30, 2008

I've just submitted two KudoZ questions regarding usage of the word "infanticide." The translation that has me working at 1:00 am on a Saturday is an article about a woman sentenced to hang (in 1905) for murdering her 9-month-old daughter. The first paragraph includes a graphic description of the condition in which the corpse was found. (You don't want to know.)

And the research is even worse.

Sweet dreams!

P.S. Jack, Luisa--I could sur
... See more
I've just submitted two KudoZ questions regarding usage of the word "infanticide." The translation that has me working at 1:00 am on a Saturday is an article about a woman sentenced to hang (in 1905) for murdering her 9-month-old daughter. The first paragraph includes a graphic description of the condition in which the corpse was found. (You don't want to know.)

And the research is even worse.

Sweet dreams!

P.S. Jack, Luisa--I could sure use your help on the infanticide (English monolingual) and infanticida (Spanish to English) questions!

[Edited at 2008-08-30 05:14]
Collapse

Francesca Battaglia
Francesca Battaglia
Italy
Local time: 22:35
English to Italian
+ ...
oh gosh... Aug 30, 2008

I'm so happy with my instruction manuals..............................O_O

scary, scary scary scary stuff, colleagues!

Although, now that I'm thinking, a few weeks ago I was translating (volunteer project) tumor effects on ferrets and it had images. At one point, I cried.

oh, I need to say: JACK...OH-MY-GOSH!

[Edited at 2008-08-30 21:07]

Therrien
Therrien  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:35
English to French
+ ...
Income Trust Sep 25, 2008

I translated a presidential report for an income trust for the year 2006.

It was written, pejoratively, that the petrolium was DOWN, because in the Gulf of Mexico, there were less huricanes, thus more production, hence more abundance, hence people who invested lost money as they depended on the scarcity of the ressource to create revenue.

The creation of a scarcity. It isn't "Demand versus supply". It was the creation of a scarcity so that it is valuable.

[Edited
... See more
I translated a presidential report for an income trust for the year 2006.

It was written, pejoratively, that the petrolium was DOWN, because in the Gulf of Mexico, there were less huricanes, thus more production, hence more abundance, hence people who invested lost money as they depended on the scarcity of the ressource to create revenue.

The creation of a scarcity. It isn't "Demand versus supply". It was the creation of a scarcity so that it is valuable.

[Edited at 2008-09-26 16:19]
Collapse

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:35
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Children in jail Sep 29, 2008

The German original is "Knastkinder", maybe you have heard of it: a theater project with social content meant for schoolchildren. It deals with the cruel reality of children kept in jail.

I did this as a favour for a friend who was in charge of activities at a Salesian school. When I was first told about this, I didn't clearly understand that it was meant for "youth schoolchildren"; used to school theater, at first I thought it was meant for "schoolchildren in general"... All the sa
... See more
The German original is "Knastkinder", maybe you have heard of it: a theater project with social content meant for schoolchildren. It deals with the cruel reality of children kept in jail.

I did this as a favour for a friend who was in charge of activities at a Salesian school. When I was first told about this, I didn't clearly understand that it was meant for "youth schoolchildren"; used to school theater, at first I thought it was meant for "schoolchildren in general"... All the same I accepted the challenge and did it.

The German text was easy in structure, meant to be understood by everyone. And I undertook this task with professionalism: "if the screenwriter used these words, he knew what he was doing". While working I even happened to feel as if I were acting myself in a film. The text was somehow long but didn't take much time.

More than half the text was rude, full of underworld slang and violent situations. And... one of the worst acts in this screenplay was when a girl told her life story: "when I was 7, I went to visit another girl to play with, whose mom worked as a whore... a client of her mom was there, he thought that we were included in the price and he f***ed us too".

As I read aloud my whole Spanish version, I thought for myself: "under 13 not allowed"...
Collapse

moken
moken  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sexual violence, rape and associated brutalities Oct 10, 2008

Speaks for itself. Feel free to share it. People ought to know.

http://www.msf.org/source/countries/africa/drc/2007/Ituri_report/Ituri_report.pdf
http://www.msf.es/images/Ituri-Informe_tcm3-9084.pdf

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The darker side of translation...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »