Yesterday I got 7 unsolicited offers ...
Thread poster: Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:47
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 24, 2006

Yesterday I got 7 unsolicited offers to do a free sample test translation.

All 7 agencies wanted me to translate the same text, which started with "Science is now uncovering what plays our genetic score".

How many got the same offer?

What can be done to put a stop to this kind of spamming?

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
Probably a client that considers translations to be a commodity Jan 24, 2006

Sven Petersson wrote:

Well, probably there was this direct client wanting a really cheap offer for some translation. So they contacted seven agencies and asked them for a quote. Since the client considers themselves to be quality oriented, the agencies were asked to provide a short test translation together with their quote.

Little does the client know that all the different offers end up at exactly the same translator...

P.

C. Jacobs
C. Jacobs  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Make it 8 agencies... Jan 24, 2006

I am one of the agencies asked for a quotation (not knowing there were seven others already!), but I did not send out unsolicited offers to anyone.

Christina

Sven Petersson wrote:

All 7 agencies wanted me to translate the same text, which started with "Science is now uncovering what plays our genetic score".

How many got the same offer?

What can be done to put a stop to this kind of spamming?

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Seems like you cornered the market ! Jan 24, 2006

Hi !

I guess when you receive 8 requests for the same test translation you can safely call yourself THE expert in the field (and forget about doing the test?) or al least pick you favourite agency from the list. You have done some incredible marketing for yourself!

Ed

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Yesterday I got 7 unsolicited offers ...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »