Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: The rudest thing I ever wrote back to a potential client was...
Thread poster: Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 16:03
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Also... Jun 12, 2007

I realize from the posts here that we are all very adult and professional at all times (of course), but come on- have you NEVER let slip a wee comment that you just couldn't hold back?

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 22:03
Russian to English
Thankfully, my husband "edited" me before I pressed "send"... Jun 12, 2007

I was recently offered a project, either translation (if my rates matched what they were willing to offer - and they did not) or editing of a non-native speaker's translation (which I have to admit is not my favorite thing to do). I tried my best to politely decline the offer - several times - but the agency representative would not let go. He demanded to know how many words per day I can edit, and I must have replied at least three times that I can't say without seeing the text first, and that ... See more
I was recently offered a project, either translation (if my rates matched what they were willing to offer - and they did not) or editing of a non-native speaker's translation (which I have to admit is not my favorite thing to do). I tried my best to politely decline the offer - several times - but the agency representative would not let go. He demanded to know how many words per day I can edit, and I must have replied at least three times that I can't say without seeing the text first, and that my schedule would not allow me to meet their deadline, as I had prior commitments (which was true because the deadline was unreasonable).

His response was: “What's the problem, you don't wanna work with me or what?" He told me he did not care about my prior commitments and again demanded to know how many words of a mystery text of unknown quality I could edit in one day. Then, he twice demanded that if I simply did not want to work with his agency, I should say so outright. If I said so, then he would “leave [me] alone."

His manner was extremely aggressive, unpleasant and upsetting, which is what I made a point of telling him when I finally had to resort to his demand and tell him outright that no, I do not want to work with him. And that was the "nice” version of the email.

[Edited at 2007-06-12 21:23]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm never rude ...but I relish the (rare) opportunity to drive home a point:-) Jun 12, 2007

I love the opportunity to make a point. I had the great pleasure of making a point today.

In Spain we have to "collect" certificates from clients as evidence that they have paid retained tax (on bills) to the tax authorities on our behalf.....a right pain in the place the sun don't shine:-(

About last weekend I sent a request to one company...no answer. I resent the mail a few days ago, with a very explicit request for an acknowledgement ... no answer.

Tod
... See more
I love the opportunity to make a point. I had the great pleasure of making a point today.

In Spain we have to "collect" certificates from clients as evidence that they have paid retained tax (on bills) to the tax authorities on our behalf.....a right pain in the place the sun don't shine:-(

About last weekend I sent a request to one company...no answer. I resent the mail a few days ago, with a very explicit request for an acknowledgement ... no answer.

Today they asked me in their (fairly) abrupt manner for a translation. I had the satisfaction of pointing out that I wouldn't do their translation until I got some kind of response to my previous 2 mails. I'd never be rude though, as even to do that - even though I'm seething with resentment inside - was a bit of an effort.

I KNOW this is a cultural thing, us anglos - I think - have a tradition of the courtesy reply (at least my generation), and I for example, would always respond in some way to an actual request, whether it simply be "I'll get back to this as soon as I can".

So, in sum, I'm never rude, but occasionally I get the opportunity to make a point - not often enough though:-(

If I'm writing in a language not my own, I'm even more conscious......

[Edited at 2007-06-12 22:36]
Collapse

LAURA TAPIA ESCOBAR
LAURA TAPIA ESCOBAR  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
CLEAR! Nov 28, 2007

I agree with Megan and someone else just well said

But Being clear and it might sound blunt but before anything, but clear and direct also works...

Whenever I receive something to be edited or proof read, I warn my client if I check and it is not good, I will have to make it again, at my translation quote and I will of course charge for what I have reviewed so far, then I apply the agencies trick, 3 pages or more (hey this is just the warning...) but it always works
... See more
I agree with Megan and someone else just well said

But Being clear and it might sound blunt but before anything, but clear and direct also works...

Whenever I receive something to be edited or proof read, I warn my client if I check and it is not good, I will have to make it again, at my translation quote and I will of course charge for what I have reviewed so far, then I apply the agencies trick, 3 pages or more (hey this is just the warning...) but it always works and at least it saves much of the hussle you have when you finally let them know some parts have to be made all over, if not all.

As for payment and long awaited times to be paid, I also warn them I will have to charge for all extra expenses (calls or several visits to their premises) plus a percentage for the delay...

Of course I dont use this or at least not with all my clients but another thing is that you also get a feeling as you receive the job, the way they address you, the terms they use, and yes, we always have the typical "I can do it myself it only takes some minutes/hrs, but since i dont have the time that why I called you...", needless to say I use these "techniques" with these ones, so from the beginning you may feel who is going to pay and who is not.

Most of good clients will offer an advance payment.

Whats the worse I have ever said? "Had I known you were going to be this awful..."

[Edited at 2007-11-28 08:33]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The rudest thing I ever wrote back to a potential client was...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »