Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:40
Spanish
+ ...
Nov 6, 2007

Sony's marketing department is epic. How would you translate the name of this product?

This is a real product:

Soft Leather Carrying Case LCS-TWA/T
Draw envious looks when you carry your Cyber-shot® W and T Series digital camera in the understated and elegant LCS-TWA/T carrying case.

The quiet elegance and understated portfolio design of the LCS-TWA/T carrying case will keep your Cyber-shot® W and T Series digital camera safe from bumps and scratches. There is an integrated belt loop for your convenience as well as a strong magnetic closure for quick access. The LCS-TWA is available in brown, black and red.
Soft leather case for W series and T series Cyber-shot®

Elegance design

Leather case with belt loop

Marsha Way
Marsha Way  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hilarious!! Nov 6, 2007

I can't believe someone didn't catch that! I guess upon translating either the letters would change, or even if it stayed the same, it wouldn't get the same reaction.

I guess we can put it up there with the "Nova" car that was not successful in Latin America, the "Bimbo" bread, but this is just so much more laughable!

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:40
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Only available in brown, black and red? Nov 6, 2007

No matching LCS-TWA/T for blondes?

Gerard

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Reminds me Nov 6, 2007

Which do you like best, American Airlines coffee or TWA tea?

Yet Bimbo bread remains very popular in both Mexico and the USA, and I recall Nova gasoline (Pemex) that was only 78 octane, but my old pickup ran fine on it (not so much power, but it was cheap!)

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:40
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oh my goodness... Nov 7, 2007

It's been getting a fair amount of attention of blogs so I figured a swift name change would occur.

But I just checked the Sonystyle web site and it's still there.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:40
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Nova? Nov 7, 2007

Marsha Way wrote:

I can't believe someone didn't catch that! I guess upon translating either the letters would change, or even if it stayed the same, it wouldn't get the same reaction.

I guess we can put it up there with the "Nova" car that was not successful in Latin America, the "Bimbo" bread, but this is just so much more laughable!

Marsha, please could you explain to someone with NSOH why Nova was funny in Latin America? (Or is it too rude for these columns?) I'm about to visit Mexico for the first time and feel I need to know.
Regards,
Jenny.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:40
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nova Nov 7, 2007

Nova sounds like 'no va', which means 'it doesn't/won't go', and cars are supposed to go places

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some examples Nov 7, 2007

Japanese companies strike again. Other examples would be the Mazda Laputa, and the Nissan MOCO (which fortunately, as far as I now, where not sold in Spanish-speaking countries), and the best, the Mitshubishi Pajero, which had to be renamed as Mitsubishi Montero in Spain.

And then you have SANRIO (Hello Kitty) that according to the company is supposed to mean "Saint River" in Spanish (it should be "río santo", of course).

Narcis

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A useful present Nov 7, 2007

There used to be a German brand of toilet paper called "BUM". Some friends visiting us in Germany bought several packs to give as presents to their friends.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Sports gear shop in Strasbourg Nov 7, 2007

Jack Doughty wrote:

There used to be a German brand of toilet paper called "BUM". Some friends visiting us in Germany bought several packs to give as presents to their friends.

Lovely! That reminds me, there's a smart sports gear shop in Strasbourg called "Athlete's Foot". Don't know whether it's still there.
Regards,
Jenny.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
There's a popular brand of smoked sausage in Italy called Wudy... Nov 7, 2007

Unfortunately, they don't use Stiffi hauliers to deliver them!

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Spanish to English
+ ...
Urban myth Nov 7, 2007

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Nova sounds like 'no va', which means 'it doesn't/won't go', and cars are supposed to go places

In fact, the Chevy Nova sold quite well in Mexico and Venezuela. The occasional Nova can still be seen on the road here in Mexico City, more than 30 years after they stopped selling them; another piece of evidence supporting the claim that they were a popular car in their day.

The article linked above also includes a linguistic explanation of why Spanish speakers probably wouldn't associate "Nova" with "no va".

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Athlete's Foot Nov 7, 2007

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Lovely! That reminds me, there's a smart sports gear shop in Strasbourg called "Athlete's Foot". Don't know whether it's still there.
Regards,
Jenny.

Well, we are more lucky in Poland. Actually, Athlete's Foot is the name of a sports gear retail chain including 40 - 50 stores in 18 towns all over Poland. And the brand owners have not yet discovered the real meaning of the two words, I'm afraid.

Nevertheless, happy shopping!

Andrzej Mierzejewski

Barbara Wiegel
Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
On the contrary Nov 8, 2007

Andrzej Mierzejewski wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Regards,
Jenny.

Well, we are more lucky in Poland. Actually, Athlete's Foot is the name of a sports gear retail chain including 40 - 50 stores in 18 towns all over Poland. And the brand owners have not yet discovered the real meaning of the two words, I'm afraid.

Well, in this case I think the name was chosen on purpose - as a play on words, a marketing tool, whatever. It's a US chain with corporate headquarters in Norcross, GA and stores in almost every major shopping mall on the East coast (and probably all over the country) and I'm sure the founders knew the actual meaning of athlete's foot... In this case it didn't stop the chain from branching/franchising out all over the world.

Best,
Barbara

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Funny bulb name... Nov 8, 2007

Here's one more from Poland.

The light bulb brand name Osram sounds funny in Polish, as it sound exactly the same as the Polish for 'I will s**t on [sth]'.

There's even a joke about it. (Which I suppose will not be nearly as funny when translated into English.)

A man walks into an electric shop and asks, 'Got any light bulbs?' The shop assistant says, 'Yes. Will Osram do?' [Bear in mind, in Polish it sounds 'Will "I will s**t on it" do?'] To which the custo
... See more
Here's one more from Poland.

The light bulb brand name Osram sounds funny in Polish, as it sound exactly the same as the Polish for 'I will s**t on [sth]'.

There's even a joke about it. (Which I suppose will not be nearly as funny when translated into English.)

A man walks into an electric shop and asks, 'Got any light bulbs?' The shop assistant says, 'Yes. Will Osram do?' [Bear in mind, in Polish it sounds 'Will "I will s**t on it" do?'] To which the customer responds, 'No, give me a regular bulb, I will s**t on it myself.'

No, it doesn't sound funny.

M
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sony cracks me up: Use your **** as a case

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »