Danae Lucia Ferri
Danae Lucia Ferri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 20:38
Norwegian to Greek
+ ...
multi-task ability Jan 5, 2008

Textklick wrote:

Left-handed people, by contrast, are capable and comfortable switching between tasks. This seems to suggest that left-handed people have an excellent ability to multi-task, and anecdotal evidence suggests that there are more creative stems due to this ability to multi-task."

Chris

[Edited at 2008-01-05 14:32]

I wasn't aware of this, and it explains why there are so many orchestra percussionists -myself included- who are left-handed!

Krzysztof Łesyk
Krzysztof Łesyk  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 03:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
Yet another southpaw checking in Jan 7, 2008

One more lefty to add to the list - me, that is
In my case I'm almost completely left-handed - I can write and use a computer mouse only with my left hand (I had an episode in early childhood when my parents tried to make me write with my right hand, but I just started writing mirrored letters, so they abandoned the idea pretty quickly), but for skills I learn
... See more
One more lefty to add to the list - me, that is
In my case I'm almost completely left-handed - I can write and use a computer mouse only with my left hand (I had an episode in early childhood when my parents tried to make me write with my right hand, but I just started writing mirrored letters, so they abandoned the idea pretty quickly), but for skills I learned later in life, like using chopsticks for example, I can use my right hand without problems. When I think about it, I also tend to use my right hand when ironing clothes for some reason, even though I could probably apply much more pressure with my right hand...

By the way, being left-handed definitely doesn't help when writing Chinese characters, especially with a brush - the natural angle of the right hand makes it necessary to push the brush instead of dragging it, as the direction of strokes is predetermined. Oh well, at least I have an excuse for my horrible handwriting in Japanese/Chinese
Collapse

yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I had a few more questions regarding your lefthandedness Jan 7, 2008

but I think what I am going to do is open up another forum. You can look for the other forum if you like.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:38
German to English
+ ...
Mirrored letters Jan 8, 2008

Krzysztof Łesyk wrote:

(I had an episode in early childhood when my parents tried to make me write with my right hand, but I just started writing mirrored letters, so they abandoned the idea pretty quickly),

That's interesting. Both of my lefty children began by writing mirrored letters. When my older daughter was doing this, people warned us about dyslexia, and we said - just wait. Turned out fine. She learned to read and write "normally" with no difficulties.

Now daughter #2 is 4 yrs. old and is starting to write letters. Half the time she writes them left-to-right facing correctly, the rest of the time she writes right-to-left in mirror image. She will even write in mirror-image when copying letters written left-to-right. Seems to be a phase. Did the rest of you lefties experience this?

Sandra Petch
Sandra Petch
French to English
+ ...
Left-handed for writing, drawing, painting... Jan 9, 2008

... but right-handed for cutlery, toothbrush, screwdriver, mosaic nippers, mouse, playing guitar...

I'm beginning to have doubts about whether I'm left- or right-handed for painting. I think I'd use a roller with my right hand and a brush with my left!

[Edited at 2008-01-09 13:15]

Natalia Eklund
Natalia Eklund  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Lefty-ambi Jan 9, 2008

I'm a lefty when I write, but everything else I do with my right hand.
However, I grew up playing the piano, and I think this has helped me be a bit ambi.

Everytime I started a sport it took me a little longer than the others because I had to learn it with both hands to see which one I was better at.

In the end, I'm stronger with my right arm, so for baseball I'm a righty; for fencing I'm a righty....... but recently I started learning tennis and it seems that I p
... See more
I'm a lefty when I write, but everything else I do with my right hand.
However, I grew up playing the piano, and I think this has helped me be a bit ambi.

Everytime I started a sport it took me a little longer than the others because I had to learn it with both hands to see which one I was better at.

In the end, I'm stronger with my right arm, so for baseball I'm a righty; for fencing I'm a righty....... but recently I started learning tennis and it seems that I play just as well with both, though I prefer my left because I hit the ball too hard with my right; sends it flying over the fence every time.

I can play cards with my toes....does this have any specific medical meaning?
Collapse

Serena Hiller
Serena Hiller  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Interesting to learn that there is an International Day for Left Handers! Jan 9, 2008

Juan Jacob wrote:

...is our International Day.
http://www.inclusiondigital.net/albergue/zurdos/curiosidades.html
Some problems at school with no left handers seats, but no major traumas in my life.
Besides, I'm quite ambidextrous, and that's good when you come to paint a huge wall or I have to nail a lot of nails!
So far, 3 mujeres, un hombre.
I salute you.

[Editado a las 2008-01-04 05:46]

Being a left hander, too, I welcome this idea to put this topic on the proz.com website and reading about the experiences of the colleagues. I was not forced at school to use my right hand when we kids started learning writing - partially due to the fact that we had a very kind and wise teacher but also because of my stubbornness which finally made also my parents and grandparents realise that they would be better off if they let me have my own way

Although I have learnt to handle much of the domestic work at home in an ambidextrous way (e.g. washing the dishes, hoovering or cutlery) and am also able to type on the PC's keyboard with all ten fingers, my left hand is still the one on which I can rely more and which is the stronger one (e.g. when it comes to cutting vegetables, toothbrushing or cleaning the window) so it would be almost a catastrophe if I should ever break my left arm!

[Edited at 2008-01-09 22:53]

Michael GREEN
Michael GREEN  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Left-handed but adaptable ... Jan 10, 2008

HNY, everybody.

I'm definitely left-handed with single-handed tools (except tennis : I play equally badly with either hand : really confuses my opponent when I follow a left backhand with a right backhand!). I write, use my mouse, my cellphone, toothbrush, paintbrush, pencil etc with my left hand (except Iaido : impossible to practice Japanese sword movements with the left hand ... any other lefthanded practitioners out there ?!).
But I hold my knife & fork "normally", and typ
... See more
HNY, everybody.

I'm definitely left-handed with single-handed tools (except tennis : I play equally badly with either hand : really confuses my opponent when I follow a left backhand with a right backhand!). I write, use my mouse, my cellphone, toothbrush, paintbrush, pencil etc with my left hand (except Iaido : impossible to practice Japanese sword movements with the left hand ... any other lefthanded practitioners out there ?!).
But I hold my knife & fork "normally", and type with both hands.
And I sleep lying on my back

Nobody ever tried to change my lefthandedness, and I've never tried either ... my one attempt at writing righthandedly was a disaster.

I don't find lefthandedness to be a handicap - but maybe I no longer notice any inconveniences any more.

On the other hand, I made a half-hearted attempt to learn Arabic many years ago : being left-handed helped me master the characters very quickly.

I think a poll is definitely called for : it would be interesting to see what proportion of translators are LHanded compared with the general population (but it would have to be broken down by ethnic origin - I believe some groups have higher proportions of LHanders than others).

I'm originally British, BTW.
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Count me in! Jan 10, 2008

Yay, a thread for us lefties!

As the first computer I ever used was shared with a bunch of right-handed colleagues, I was essentially forced to learn to use the mouse with my right hand. This is actually a real advantage as I now also hold a telephone and use a calculator with my right hand, leaving my left hand free to jot down information.

WRT cutlery, I can get into a bit of a pickle. Like most left ha
... See more
Yay, a thread for us lefties!

As the first computer I ever used was shared with a bunch of right-handed colleagues, I was essentially forced to learn to use the mouse with my right hand. This is actually a real advantage as I now also hold a telephone and use a calculator with my right hand, leaving my left hand free to jot down information.

WRT cutlery, I can get into a bit of a pickle. Like most left handers, or so I imagine, I was taught to hold the knife in my right hand and the fork in my left - and that's fine, I'm actually using my dominant hand to shovel food into my mouth. I have to use my left hand for spreading butter or cutting bread though. And when I'm cooking and need to use both a fork/knife and spoon at the same time, my brain goes into a kind of "cannot compute" mode as it wants both of them to be in my left hand.
Still, I imagine these are common problems for right-handers too. Certainly my partner, who is extremely right-handed, is completely incapable of using a fork with his left hand except for holding his food in place as he cuts it - so when he needs to use both knife and fork, he then has to put the knife down and transfer his fork to his right hand to take every bite (it drives me nuts!).

Off-topic aside to Margreet and Christine Andersen - I would have laid money on you both being left-handed! Has this topic come up before or is my special insight coming into play?)

[Edited at 2008-01-10 11:11]
Collapse

Kimberly De Haan
Kimberly De Haan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:38
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Here comes another one Mar 3, 2008

Add another lefty to the list.

I'm a definite lefty: handed and footed.

I was taught to play guitar right handed but found I couldn't pick very well with my right hand. After many years, I decided to get my guitar restrung and take lessons again, left handed. Alas, my brain couldn't grasp how to pick with my left hand either. I guess it had been hardwired into picking (badly) with my right hand.

I was lucky to have good elementary teachers who did their bes
... See more
Add another lefty to the list.

I'm a definite lefty: handed and footed.

I was taught to play guitar right handed but found I couldn't pick very well with my right hand. After many years, I decided to get my guitar restrung and take lessons again, left handed. Alas, my brain couldn't grasp how to pick with my left hand either. I guess it had been hardwired into picking (badly) with my right hand.

I was lucky to have good elementary teachers who did their best to help me learn to write (relatively) neatly with my left hand, though my letters don't slant to the right like they're supposed to.

I wonder about the lefty-linguistic relationship. I've definitely been linguistically oriented right from day one unlike anyone else in my immediate or extended family...
Collapse

Alex Galimov
Alex Galimov
Local time: 11:38
English to Russian
+ ...
It's no coincidence - Lefties ARE Better at Translations! Mar 3, 2008

Danae Ferri wrote:

Textklick wrote:

Left-handed people, by contrast, are capable and comfortable switching between tasks. This seems to suggest that left-handed people have an excellent ability to multi-task, and anecdotal evidence suggests that there are more creative stems due to this ability to multi-task."

Chris

[Edited at 2008-01-05 14:32]

I wasn't aware of this, and it explains why there are so many orchestra percussionists -myself included- who are left-handed!

As lefties, we have the right side of our brain developed better. That part is responsible for linguistic skills, art and creativity - therefore, we are better linguists by virtue of being lefties!

Danae - funny thing, I am also a percussionist and a drummer. The drums were easy to switch from right-hand to left-hand set-up. Try that with a piano

Alex Galimov
Alex Galimov
Local time: 11:38
English to Russian
+ ...
Kimberly - there is no wonder! Mar 3, 2008

I wonder about the lefty-linguistic relationship. I've definitely been linguistically oriented right from day one unlike anyone else in my immediate or extended family... [/quote]

Kimberly - it's been proven in scientific literature that yes, as lefties we ARE better at languages and music and art and anything creative!

Cheers to the lefties!

Alex

ama_li
ama_li
English to Sinhala (Sinhalese)
I'm a lefty too Mar 24, 2008

I'm left handed. and proud if it too

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Left Handers in the Translation field

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »