Thread poster: Sayeda Abdelrazik
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:25
English to French
+ ...
Affinity Publisher Sep 1, 2022

I've been using Affinity Publisher for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it.
It opens all idmls
Of-course with all DTP, you need to have the fonts etc. so it can be viewed same as the original.
You CAN'T save as idml, however, you can save as their proprietary format or export as pdf for fast review of long documents.
It's cheap (lifetime license) and works on Mac and PC (I got mine on offer for 35 EUR).

If you're translating idml, you need to get every t
... See more
I've been using Affinity Publisher for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it.
It opens all idmls
Of-course with all DTP, you need to have the fonts etc. so it can be viewed same as the original.
You CAN'T save as idml, however, you can save as their proprietary format or export as pdf for fast review of long documents.
It's cheap (lifetime license) and works on Mac and PC (I got mine on offer for 35 EUR).

If you're translating idml, you need to get every tag right, then all changes due to language expansion etc. need to be addressed by your customer in post. A good idea is to send your customer a pseudo translation before getting started so they can have an idea of the effect language expansion will have on the target file.

I use Affinity to double-check there are no major issues or that small portions of text did not end-up with a different tag config than what should be expected.

Scribus never gave me a good enough visual result, so I had to uninstall it.
If you do a lot of idml and wnat to check they look right before sending it to the customer and you don't want to sell your car to buy Adobe Indesign, then Affinity Publisher is a good option IMO.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/publisher/
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating InDesign files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »