Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Contests - new feature added to the qualification round: must enter reason for vote to disqualify
Thread poster: RominaZ
RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 3, 2007

Dear All,

I'd like to announce that following your suggestions, and in keeping with the idea of improving and making adjustments to the current voting system, we have implemented a new feature.

As from now all negative votes cast should be accompanied by a reason supporting the negative vote. The authors of the entries will be able to see these reasons by clicking the "view details" link next to the number of negative votes. In addition, voters will be able to edit, ch
... See more
Dear All,

I'd like to announce that following your suggestions, and in keeping with the idea of improving and making adjustments to the current voting system, we have implemented a new feature.

As from now all negative votes cast should be accompanied by a reason supporting the negative vote. The authors of the entries will be able to see these reasons by clicking the "view details" link next to the number of negative votes. In addition, voters will be able to edit, change or even cancel these reasons until the qualifying round ends.

Please note that this feature is in a trial phase, and the experience as well as the results obtained from its use will determine its future implementation and improvement in upcoming contests.

I hope you like it!

Regards,

Romina
Collapse

Susie Miles (X)
Susie Miles (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
English to Spanish
Not qualified Dec 3, 2007

Dear Romina,
Today I see that my entry is shown as: Did not qualify....
But according to the new feature, will I be able to know the supporting reasons?
Because at this moment I can't see any "view details" link, nor do I see the number of negative votes I had.

I will appreciate your telling me when will I be able to see mentioned supporting reasons.

Thank you so much,
Susie

RominaZ
RominaZ  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New feature recenlty implemented Dec 3, 2007

Dear Susie,

This new feature has been implemented today at 6.30 pm GMT. Unfortunately, entries disqualified before that time won't show any reasons. Again, this is only a trial phase to study how this feature works and to determine its future implementation in upcoming contests.

Regards,

Romina

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:52
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Romina Dec 3, 2007

This is for the second time that the rules are changed during the voting. The same happened in the previous contest. Changing the rules after the voting has started is unfair as it puts the participants into different conditions.

If there is a need to change the rules this should be done exclusively before the voting starts or after it is finished.

[Edited at 2007-12-03 22:59]

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Doesn't affect voting Dec 4, 2007

Natalie wrote:

This is for the second time that the rules are changed during the voting. The same happened in the previous contest. Changing the rules after the voting has started is unfair as it puts the participants into different conditions.

If there is a need to change the rules this should be done exclusively before the voting starts or after it is finished.

The voting process is not affected at all: if you are voted out, you are voted out, before the change and after, period. Just now you will know why you are eliminated. No reason for concern.

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
I do like it! Dec 4, 2007

RominaZ wrote:

I hope you like it!

This is a good idea. Unfortunately my English>Spanish entry was bumped out before this, but hopefully some people may go back and list reasons later. Thanks for thinking of every detail.

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Why do we always focus on the negative aspects? Dec 4, 2007

I really don´t know what the ultimate purpose of this feature is, but to me it seems an example of why we think we learn more from negative messages than from positive ones.

Don´t get me wrong, if I was one of the recipients of a negative vote, I´d appreciate some "teaching" about why my entry was inadequate; but if I was the asker, I´d also love to hear why the good ones are so good. This feature helps the asker to discard wrong entries, rather than to choose the one that is a
... See more
I really don´t know what the ultimate purpose of this feature is, but to me it seems an example of why we think we learn more from negative messages than from positive ones.

Don´t get me wrong, if I was one of the recipients of a negative vote, I´d appreciate some "teaching" about why my entry was inadequate; but if I was the asker, I´d also love to hear why the good ones are so good. This feature helps the asker to discard wrong entries, rather than to choose the one that is appropriate based on comments from the voters.

Some people so far have actually made an effort to complement their positive votes withe some encouraging comments. But not everybody does it.

Please support those who get it right and the asker too with a feature that creates a balance.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
I disagree Dec 4, 2007

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:
The voting process is not affected at all: if you are voted out, you are voted out, before the change and after, period. Just now you will know why you are eliminated. No reason for concern.

Nicholas, I also like the idea. However it should be introduced either before the voting has begun or in the next contest.

Many people would not vote against if they should provide a reason. Therefore those participants whose entries have been already disqualified before introducing this new improvement are in a different situation than the rest.

In general this is unfair to change the rules during the game.

[Edited at 2007-12-04 12:12]

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:52
Dutch to English
+ ...
Precisely Dec 4, 2007

Natalie wrote:

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

Many people would not vote against if they should provide a reason. Therefore those participants whose entries have been already disqualified before introducing this new improvement are in a different situation that the rest.

In general this is unfair to change the rules during the game.

[Edited at 2007-12-04 09:23]

Although I don't participate in these competitions (or at least haven't done so to date), it is unheard of in any competition to change the rules once it is underway.

Natalie is quite right that people would think twice about voting against something if they have to provide reasons.

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 19:52
English to Russian
+ ...
Fair play? Dec 4, 2007

There are all kinds of people taking part in the contest. There are all kinds of relations involved.
Let's face it: there are quite a few grudges harboured around this community. One can't exclude that some people voted negatively driven by reasons other than linguistic.
No doubt those who got negative votes before this feature was introduced will be at disadvantage.

P.S. I did not take part in this contest

Elena Robles Sanjuan
Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
My apologies Dec 4, 2007

I jumped into the wrong conclusions, because I thought the post was about answering translation questions.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Future changes/improvements Dec 4, 2007

Hi Romina and all,

I get the impression that Romina opened this new thread now as a follow-up of a previous thread (still in progress, btw),
http://www.proz.com/topic/90335 ,
but I thought any feedback or suggestions from that thread would be implemented as of the next contest, not in the middle of the current one.

Therefore, I certainly agree with Natalie's comment i
... See more
Hi Romina and all,

I get the impression that Romina opened this new thread now as a follow-up of a previous thread (still in progress, btw),
http://www.proz.com/topic/90335 ,
but I thought any feedback or suggestions from that thread would be implemented as of the next contest, not in the middle of the current one.

Therefore, I certainly agree with Natalie's comment in this thread about not making any changes in the voting system right now, because obviously it will apply only to the remaining pending entries and not to those that were already voted based on the old system.

On the other hand, I also agree with Valery Kaminski's comment (and other similar comments already made in the mentioned previous thread), because I feel that the contest voting system, as it exists right now, leaves room for a series of vote problems, so it would be ideal that a better voting system were implemented in the future (I, along with other Prozians, have already made a series of suggestions that I hope Proz.com takes at least into account).

Regards,

Ivette
Collapse

Yuri Smirnov
Yuri Smirnov  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:52
English to Belarusian
+ ...
Against changing the rules in the process Dec 4, 2007

1) Positive change. Thank you. 100% for it.
2) 100% against changing the rules during the game. That was what I was most unhappy about before. People got disqualified, then qualified back, minus votes counted (total sum of votes), then not counted (just 3 positive required). All that may be good, but only in between the contests. The game started — no rules changes.

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
very useful - Dec 4, 2007

Hello Romina,

this is really a very good invention. -

Another proposition. -

As long as voting has not started, one sees the total number of entries in a pair. When voting is on, the main page gives only the number of pending and qualified. - If one is allowed to vote in a pair one can see the original total number there. But all not eligible for vote can't.

I know that on the final winning board the original totals will reappear. - But
... See more
Hello Romina,

this is really a very good invention. -

Another proposition. -

As long as voting has not started, one sees the total number of entries in a pair. When voting is on, the main page gives only the number of pending and qualified. - If one is allowed to vote in a pair one can see the original total number there. But all not eligible for vote can't.

I know that on the final winning board the original totals will reappear. - But I would find it practical to have total numbers for all pairs visible for all also during the qualifying.
Collapse

Roland Nienerza
Roland Nienerza  Identity Verified

English to German
+ ...
right you are - Dec 4, 2007

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

Natalie wrote:

Better late than never.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contests - new feature added to the qualification round: must enter reason for vote to disqualify

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »