Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3]
Have received these emails and got very suspicious with the second...
Автор темы: Lise Leavitt
Andrei Shmatkov
Andrei Shmatkov  Identity Verified
Канада
Local time: 16:53
английский => русский
+ ...
one more... Nov 1, 2012

Received a request through my profile from Wenby Scotter Wenby ([email protected]) to translate a Word file of almost 7K words - SEX EDUCATION TO ADOLESCENTS, from English to Belarusian. Ready to pay upfront with a cheque - definitely a scam!

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 19:53
испанский => английский
+ ...
I've received two such "offers" in the past two weeks Nov 4, 2012

Here's the most recent one, from yesterday:

Hello,

My Name is Chris Johnson, widower of Dana Johnson. I have
a translation
job for you. First of all i will like to know if you can do
this.. It is on
Breast Cancer! Are you a part time translator or full time
translator. I
will attach the document for you in your reply email. I want
it to be ready
in 2 weeks time. The abstract :- Trends in incidence and
detection of... See more
Here's the most recent one, from yesterday:

Hello,

My Name is Chris Johnson, widower of Dana Johnson. I have
a translation
job for you. First of all i will like to know if you can do
this.. It is on
Breast Cancer! Are you a part time translator or full time
translator. I
will attach the document for you in your reply email. I want
it to be ready
in 2 weeks time. The abstract :- Trends in incidence and
detection of
advanced breast cancer at biennial screening mammography in
The United
State Of America: a population based study. I'm doing this
to fulfill my
late wife promise , who died of breast cancer.

I want you to tell me the amount is going to cost me. I am
located in Ohio
Columbus Text me on (614)- 233-1797
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 00:53
французский => английский
+ ...
Classic signs include... Nov 4, 2012

As I've noted before, a classic sign is when you have to read through paragraphs of spurious details about the prospective client's personal life (inevitably as a partial pretext for awkward payment methods) rather than concentrating on the business of the actual translation.

With hindsight, even the line in the initial e-mail saying "I am in Iowa" (or wherever it was) is a slight hint-- an actual client would probably either attach their full business card or simply not mention it
... See more
As I've noted before, a classic sign is when you have to read through paragraphs of spurious details about the prospective client's personal life (inevitably as a partial pretext for awkward payment methods) rather than concentrating on the business of the actual translation.

With hindsight, even the line in the initial e-mail saying "I am in Iowa" (or wherever it was) is a slight hint-- an actual client would probably either attach their full business card or simply not mention it (it matters to the story the scammer is setting up, but what jot of difference does it make to the actual translation?).
Collapse

Robert Forstag
США
испанский => английский
+ ...
Yes indeed Nov 4, 2012

Neil Coffey wrote:

With hindsight, even the line in the initial e-mail saying "I am in Iowa" (or wherever it was) is a slight hint-- an actual client would probably either attach their full business card or simply not mention it (it matters to the story the scammer is setting up, but what jot of difference does it make to the actual translation?).

In this same connection, the "sad story" element is also a key component, serving (or so hopes the scammer) to soften up the freelancer, lower his or her guard, and gain his or her assent to otherwise unacceptable payment methods.

It's a classic con really. We should remember that "con" is short for "confidence." The idea here is to gain the confidence of the freelancer by making a kind of personal connection by means of stories of personal quests to find cures for diseases which have felled the dearly departed.

[Edited at 2012-11-04 16:34 GMT]

Michelle Hertrich
Michelle Hertrich  Identity Verified
Германия
Local time: 01:53
немецкий => английский
+ ...
He´s changed his name (David M...) and is back onto the breast cancer scam Nov 5, 2012

I just received an email along the same lines. He´s now called David M... and is back onto the breast cancer scam.

Hello,

My Name is David M..., I have a translation job for you.
First of all i will like to know if you can do this.. It is on Breast Cancer! Are you a part time translator or full time translator. I will attach the document for you in your reply email. I want it to be ready in 2 weeks time. The abstract :- Trends in incidence and detection of advan
... See more
I just received an email along the same lines. He´s now called David M... and is back onto the breast cancer scam.

Hello,

First of all i will like to know if you can do this.. It is on Breast Cancer! Are you a part time translator or full time translator. I will attach the document for you in your reply email. I want it to be ready in 2 weeks time. The abstract :- Trends in incidence and detection of advanced breast cancer at biennial screening mammography in The United State Of America: a population based study. I'm doing this to fulfill my late wife promise , who died of breast cancer.

I want you to tell me the amount is going to cost me.

English-German

David
Collapse

Robert Forstag
США
испанский => английский
+ ...
The new wrinkle here: Willingness to have translator do the work prior to sending the bad check Nov 5, 2012

Michelle Hertrich wrote:

Hello,

First of all i will like to know if you can do this.. It is on Breast Cancer! Are you a part time translator or full time translator. I will attach the document for you in your reply email. I want it to be ready in 2 weeks time. The abstract :- Trends in incidence and detection of advanced breast cancer at biennial screening mammography in The United State Of America: a population based study. I'm doing this to fulfill my late wife promise , who died of breast cancer.

I want you to tell me the amount is going to cost me.

English-German

David

It is one thing to hope to play on the natural sympathies of freelance translators for someone's personal tragedies, and perhaps also on their desire for well-paid and quickly reimbursed work. But this particular scam would, to be pulled off, require that we be a bunch of numbskulls who are completely isolated from one another in a way that sharing information about such proposals would be completely impossible.

Maybe, as with the "wealthy relative left me $10 million that I need you to bank for me" kind of scam, the hope is to find a relatively few very gullible people who do not bother to check things out.

The only astute element of this con involves not insisting on sending upfront payment with the check that is going to bounce. This might cause the freelancer to think that the proposal is legit.

In the end, this can result in a "lose-lose" situation. The fraudsters don't get any money, but the translator is out of the time he or she has spent on a translation that will never be paid for.

Страниц в теме:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have received these emails and got very suspicious with the second...

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »