Scammed by an independent translator
Auteur du fil: bbbb bbbb (X)
bbbb bbbb (X)
bbbb bbbb (X)
Érythrée
Local time: 12:21
Jan 13, 2013

I'm writing to seek advice from wiser and more experienced translators who have given sound advice in the past. I have been translating on a freelance basis but I made the mistake of working for a translator who hasn't paid me after more than six months and many reminders. I've given up hope but the catch is that he/she is a member of proz.com with a valid profile. Is there any way to apply pressure via the site? (If so, would I need to become a paying member to access services that would allow ... See more
I'm writing to seek advice from wiser and more experienced translators who have given sound advice in the past. I have been translating on a freelance basis but I made the mistake of working for a translator who hasn't paid me after more than six months and many reminders. I've given up hope but the catch is that he/she is a member of proz.com with a valid profile. Is there any way to apply pressure via the site? (If so, would I need to become a paying member to access services that would allow me to do so?) Does anyone else have other suggestions? In case it matters, the translator in question lives in a different country than I live/work in.Collapse

Farzad Akmali
Farzad Akmali  Identity Verified
Membre
anglais vers persan (farsi)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Post a Blueboard Entry Jan 13, 2013

Dear Martha,

In such cases, we normally post a Blueboard Entry. The site has no commitment regarding the non-paying outsourcers, but when you post a No. 1 Entry (which means you won't work for that outsourcer in future), you are prompted if you have received the payment or not; they try to persuade the outsourcer to pay you.

I hope you receive the payment soon and won't have such experience in future.

Happy translating.

[Edited at 2013-
... See more
Dear Martha,

In such cases, we normally post a Blueboard Entry. The site has no commitment regarding the non-paying outsourcers, but when you post a No. 1 Entry (which means you won't work for that outsourcer in future), you are prompted if you have received the payment or not; they try to persuade the outsourcer to pay you.

I hope you receive the payment soon and won't have such experience in future.

Happy translating.

[Edited at 2013-01-13 20:29 GMT]
Collapse

bbbb bbbb (X)
bbbb bbbb (X)
Érythrée
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thank you!! Jan 13, 2013

Thank you, Farzad! Very helpful information.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Pologne
Local time: 11:21
Membre (2002)
anglais vers russe
+ ...

MODÉRATEUR
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Martha Jan 13, 2013

The first thing to do is submitting a support request with all available information.

You can also make an entry at the Blue Board (in case there is no BB record for this outsourcer, you can create it).

Natalia

Mehdi Golestaninasab
Mehdi Golestaninasab
Iran
Local time: 12:51
anglais vers persan (farsi)
+ ...
in a similar situation Jan 13, 2013

Dear Martha
Hello
I've been in a same situation, I've done something that resulted in payment, maybe this also work for you. I found the translation first client (by goggling) and also I've downloaded his CV and found the major companies he work for. Then I prepared an email along with a copy of communications and proofs and threaten him if he doesn't pay me, I'd inform the clients about his behavior, this way he just apologized me and send me the money.
Please consider this a
... See more
Dear Martha
Hello
I've been in a same situation, I've done something that resulted in payment, maybe this also work for you. I found the translation first client (by goggling) and also I've downloaded his CV and found the major companies he work for. Then I prepared an email along with a copy of communications and proofs and threaten him if he doesn't pay me, I'd inform the clients about his behavior, this way he just apologized me and send me the money.
Please consider this as your last option!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: duplicate post
Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentine
Local time: 06:21
Membre (2006)
anglais vers espagnol
This could be a case of impersonation Jan 14, 2013

Hi Martha,

Sometimes a scammer will impersonate a professional and innocent colleague or company in order to steal translations, as described in this article.

Submitting a support request with all related information is a good strategy.

Regards,
Enrique

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
États-Unis
Local time: 03:21
espagnol vers anglais
+ ...
Very true Jan 14, 2013

Enrique Cavalitto wrote:

Hi Martha,

Sometimes a scammer will impersonate a professional and innocent colleague or company in order to steal translations, as described in this article.

Submitting a support request with all related information is a good strategy.

Regards,
Enrique

I had this exact same issue last year where a scammer stole the identity of a real professional. I did get paid for that project ($3,000), but with fake money orders.

bbbb bbbb (X)
bbbb bbbb (X)
Érythrée
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thank you! Jan 14, 2013

Thanks to all of you for contributing! Now I have several ideas.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scammed by an independent translator

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »