Kyle Petersen
Kyle Petersen
United States
Local time: 16:55
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2018

I was recently contacted by [email protected] about a Spanish to English translation of 2 articles to be published of "more than 30 pages". It was already a red flag that the email had no subject, no signature, he did not state what company he was with, etc., but then he sent one of the articles to be translated - "The impact of technology on social change" - and I googled it and found out that it was written in English origin... See more
I was recently contacted by [email protected] about a Spanish to English translation of 2 articles to be published of "more than 30 pages". It was already a red flag that the email had no subject, no signature, he did not state what company he was with, etc., but then he sent one of the articles to be translated - "The impact of technology on social change" - and I googled it and found out that it was written in English originally. Therefore, it obviously does not need to be translated.

I had already sent the quote prior to googling the article and he accepted it and stated that "his sponsor" would send a check for the full amount in advance. However, when asked who the sponsor is and about other details on the country they are located in, whether he is paying in US dollars, whether it is a US bank, their website or email address, etc. he did not provide any information.

I am cutting off all communication with him and blocking the email address. I imagine if a check does arrive, it will probably be fraudulent and/or for much more than the agreed amount.

Please be alerted that he is apparently sending jobs to translators found on the American Translators Association webpage.

Has anyone else received a similar message from David Wilson?

Thank you,

Kyle Petersen
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Well... Nov 12, 2018

Different name, different language pair but similar red flags...

https://www.proz.com/forum/scams/330230-potential_scammer.html

Yolanda Broad

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam warning - David Wilson

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »