Max Hellwig  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:24
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Adjust default setting? Mar 11, 2019

Melanie Meyer wrote:

Apparently you can disable the chat function (envelope icon on top right of the screen) or adjust your settings so that only registered ProZ members can contact you via chat.

Hi Melanie!
Yeah, I did that now too. It just seems odd that anyone can send messages without credentials, almost like an invite for abuse. Especially since I for one didn't even know about the chat (I'm sure there was some announcement that I disregarded). I'd say it would make more sense to have it disabled by default, if it's open without registration.

Melanie Meyer

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 09:24
Romanian to English
+ ...
You did not get it! Mar 12, 2019

Thayenga wrote:

This Harris Edelman contacted me three times already with various translation requests. Quite persistent. These chat requests notifications are now being send directly to my scam file.

Thayenga, he just fell in love with you.

Sasha Terehov
Sasha Terehov
United States
Local time: 16:24
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Restricted chat only to verified users Mar 13, 2019

Thanks for noticing!
Evelio, a developer at ProZ.com, has restricted real-time chat to users with verified identity or verified email and disabled sending files via chat.

I hope this will help to deal with scammers for a while. Please, keep sharing scamming information — it's interesting what would be the next move

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Yolanda Broad
Melanie Meyer
Daniela Zambrini

Max Hellwig
Max Hellwig  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:24
Member (2013)
English to German
+ ...
Great! Mar 13, 2019

Sasha Terehov wrote:

Thanks for noticing!
Evelio, a developer at ProZ.com, has restricted real-time chat to users with verified identity or verified email and disabled sending files via chat.

I hope this will help to deal with scammers for a while. Please, keep sharing scamming information — it's interesting what would be the next move

Thank you, Evelio!
And to you, Sasha, for letting us know

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trojan via Proz Chat

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »