Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 14:13
Romanian to English
+ ...
these scams are alive all the time Jan 13, 2022

Chris Chen wrote:

The exact same scam came to me today. A man named Mariah Aluko asked me to translate the exact same document (public organization procedures research stuff). Smells fishy from the start, but I've never heard of the notorious Fake Check Scam until today. This scam is still alive.

These scams are sold and bought on the dark web and the crooks play the numbers. Years ago, I interpreted in court for such a crook and he testified that on any given day he would send about 100 000 messages and got 12 - 14 replies. For each reply he walked away with $ 2000. Do the math.

Stay safe,
lee

Sima Sharifi
ujala1
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Eva Nassif
Eva Nassif  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Me too received same project title today from James milton, I was about to start. Tanks for posting! Apr 15, 2022

Sara Elgadra wrote:

OMG!! I received the same email from a person called Kayla Brandon!
I shared with her my full name and all the info she requested for the check
I was about to start working on the project.
It's the exact same research paper and they requested the content to be translated into Arabic.

I'm literally out of words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eva Nassif
Eva Nassif  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I too received same project title today from James Milton, I was about to start, Thanks for posting! Apr 15, 2022

I too received the same project title today from James Milton, I was about to start. Thanks for posting!

james milton
Pièces jointes
19 h 41 (il y a 2 heures)

à moi

Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation
... See more
I too received the same project title today from James Milton, I was about to start. Thanks for posting!

james milton
Pièces jointes
19 h 41 (il y a 2 heures)

à moi

Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 18/April/2022. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best regards
Collapse

Khashayar AriaAmjad

Samuel López
Samuel López
Canada
English to Spanish
katheryn gilda <[email protected]>Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this May 29, 2022

Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 1/June/2022.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading f... See more
Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 1/June/2022.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

She mentioned she is in Manitoba.
Collapse

Khashayar AriaAmjad

Cristina Bugallal
Cristina Bugallal
United States
Local time: 13:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another scam? Jun 18, 2022

I just got the same e-mail asking for a EN-ES translation of "Research Procedures of Community Students Phase 1" from a Donna Simpson ([email protected]):

"Thank you for the response and I hope this email finds you well? I would like to know how much it will cost me to get a little under 46 pages (11,600) of words translated. The document is attached to this email. Please, let me know the total cost for the document so we can start from there. The deadline for this document is the
... See more
I just got the same e-mail asking for a EN-ES translation of "Research Procedures of Community Students Phase 1" from a Donna Simpson ([email protected]):

"Thank you for the response and I hope this email finds you well? I would like to know how much it will cost me to get a little under 46 pages (11,600) of words translated. The document is attached to this email. Please, let me know the total cost for the document so we can start from there. The deadline for this document is the 11th of July 2022. My method of payment will be a cashier's check or bank certified check. Please, let me know if this works for you."

Something felt off and I searched on the forums to see if somebody else had this happen, I'm glad I did
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Oksana Baudarbekova

Claudia Chang Medina
Claudia Chang Medina
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I am so glad I checked here Jun 28, 2022

How are you and your family, I have translation task from
English to Spanish let me know if you can help with this
task,
waiting to hear from you soon. Kindly get to me via email
([email protected]

Thank you,

Alice Knapp

And after that "her" next email follows the same pattern everybody else mentions.

Oksana Baudarbekova
ujala1

Kosar Karimi Pour
Kosar Karimi Pour
Canada
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
me too! Aug 13, 2022

Hello everyone!
I am new to Proz. 2 days ago I got a personal message from Katheryn Gilda ([email protected]) offering me a translation task from English to Persian. I was happy to get my first job here. then she sent me same document as you mentioned here. same copy paste emails. when she told me she wants to prepay all the amount that I offerd and insisting to pay with a cashier's check or bank certified check I felt something is wrong. started to serach about sacms here and realize a
... See more
Hello everyone!
I am new to Proz. 2 days ago I got a personal message from Katheryn Gilda ([email protected]) offering me a translation task from English to Persian. I was happy to get my first job here. then she sent me same document as you mentioned here. same copy paste emails. when she told me she wants to prepay all the amount that I offerd and insisting to pay with a cashier's check or bank certified check I felt something is wrong. started to serach about sacms here and realize all the sighs mentioned about scams is there! and when I saw this tread I got sure!

it's dissapointing as a first experince to get a job here, but I am happy that I soon realized it's a scam!
Collapse

Khashayar AriaAmjad

Khashayar AriaAmjad
Khashayar AriaAmjad
Canada
+ ...
Katheryn Gilda - This time English to Farsi Aug 14, 2022

Ok friends, add me too to the list. The name was Katheryn Gilda and the project for translation from English to Farsi. Thanks to this post now I am certain that "the project" is not going to pay off. Thank you all for sharing the issue in here.
I Quote the email I received:

"Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charge
... See more
Ok friends, add me too to the list. The name was Katheryn Gilda and the project for translation from English to Farsi. Thanks to this post now I am certain that "the project" is not going to pay off. Thank you all for sharing the issue in here.
I Quote the email I received:

"Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 18/August/2022.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.
Best Regards"

There's also an attached file named:
"PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1"
Collapse

Sima Sharifi

Sima Sharifi
Sima Sharifi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:13
+ ...
scam Aug 19, 2022

I got the same email also from Kathryn Gilda asking me to translate Public Organizations Procedures Research. That’s unbelieveable. So now people make money from such scams just by sending such emails to unsuspected people? Wow!!! Thank you for posting it.

sunilavi
sunilavi
Spain
Local time: 20:13
English to Spanish
+ ...
Scam?? Aug 29, 2022

Hi!
I was offered a translation job, was to choose between two projects.........one was 37 pages and the rate was 600 USD to be delivered in 3 days, and the other one was 47 pages rate 1500$ and delivery in 5 days. I chose the first one and on the 3rd day eod I delivered it. I was surprised that after only 2 hours my work was revised and approved. When I was contacted they never pointed at any terms or conditions despite having asked. I had no info about the company, so I asked the person
... See more
Hi!
I was offered a translation job, was to choose between two projects.........one was 37 pages and the rate was 600 USD to be delivered in 3 days, and the other one was 47 pages rate 1500$ and delivery in 5 days. I chose the first one and on the 3rd day eod I delivered it. I was surprised that after only 2 hours my work was revised and approved. When I was contacted they never pointed at any terms or conditions despite having asked. I had no info about the company, so I asked the person I was chatting with on Telegram to give me some details about the enterprise I was working for........I just got a name but no more.... When confirmed my translation was approved I was asked to submit a payment of 100$ for tax fees. I confronted this person on Telegram, he / she says that he/she had "forgotten" to mentions such an important detail. When I argue about it and suggest that I be paid 500$ and they keep the rest as the tax fee... he/she gets angry and says they don't do things that way... when confronted further I am suggested to pay 50$ and they would help with 50$.... when I refuse they tell me either I pay the tax fees or my payment is cancelled...At this I really got even angrier and to my surprise what happens next is that I find the whole chat deleted...I guess that was not to leave any proof of the conversation...
My question is ......am I wrong if I consider this a scam.......? Have you ever paid tax fees before payment?
Collapse

Pujing Pan
Pujing Pan
Canada
English to Chinese
+ ...
The scam came to me today! Sep 14, 2022

Hi All,

Received a letter from Susan, [email protected], today!

Exactly the same message, "I have a translation task from English to (Chinese). Let me know if you can help with this task, ..."

After my positive reply, several hours later, got this:
"Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached
... See more
Hi All,

Received a letter from Susan, [email protected], today!

Exactly the same message, "I have a translation task from English to (Chinese). Let me know if you can help with this task, ..."

After my positive reply, several hours later, got this:
"Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 27/September/2022.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon."

with the same doc enclosed, i.e., PUBLIC ORGANISATION PROCEDURES RESEARCH PHASE 1
44 pages, 11,668 words

Please be aware!

I am glad I have checked this site before translating a single word!

Regards,
Pujing
Collapse

Oksana Baudarbekova

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
You've been scammed Sep 15, 2022

sunilavi wrote:

I was offered a translation job,
(snip)
I was asked to submit a payment of 100$ for tax fees.
(snip)
I confronted this person on Telegram, he / she says that he/she had "forgotten" to mentions such an important detail. When I argue about it and suggest that I be paid 500$ and they keep the rest as the tax fee... I wrong if I consider this a scam.......? Have you ever paid tax fees before payment?

Never pay to do a translation. You've been scammed. You might look at the Scam section of the board for tips on identifying scams.

Joseph Grill
Joseph Grill
Canada
Local time: 12:13
English to French
+ ...
Same scam, different person and document title Sep 28, 2022

Hello everyone,

I am glad I found this forum! I too received a project this evening from a person named James Milton ([email protected]). The document I received was titled "LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1".

The initial email he sent read "Hello, please I have a document to translate from English into French. Let me know if you're interested and available to handle it."

Here is the second email he sent when I asked for specifics about hi
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am glad I found this forum! I too received a project this evening from a person named James Milton ([email protected]). The document I received was titled "LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1".

The initial email he sent read "Hello, please I have a document to translate from English into French. Let me know if you're interested and available to handle it."

Here is the second email he sent when I asked for specifics about his project. He included the document titled "LUKSO Organization Creative Research Phase 1".

"Thank you for your response, I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month and a week starting from 30/September/2022. Finally, I'm proposing a bank draft check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon."

At this point, I stopped communicating. I blocked his email address and reported it as phishing.
Collapse

Oksana Baudarbekova
Oksana Baudarbekova  Identity Verified
United States
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Same scam! Oct 20, 2022

I just got this same scam offer today from someone's email [email protected]

"Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 21/October/2022.Finally, I
... See more
I just got this same scam offer today from someone's email [email protected]

"Hello , I'm pleased to know you are interested in handling this project. However, I will require your service to translate the attached English document. In the meantime, could you also confirm your charges per page, per source word or for the entire translation? The deadline for this Project is 1 month starting from 21/October/2022.Finally, I'm proposing a cashier's check or bank certified check for the payment. Please do not hesitate to confirm if this is okay with you? I look forward to reading from you soon.

Best Regards"

And then they asked for my personal info:

"Hello , Thank you for getting back. I quite agree with your price quote and I am willing to pay for your service. This project is a research paper being sponsored for a seminar coming up soon, so I would like to make an advance payment or make the full payment so you know you have my job with you. In the meantime, do get back to me with the following payment information in the format below.

1. Full Name to be written on the Check

2. Full Physical Address:

3. Mobile number

Your payment will be prepared once I have the requested details. Payment will be received before you send the document. Get back to me asap.

Regards"
Collapse

ujala1
ujala1
United States
English to Urdu
Same document but for Urdu translation Oct 23, 2022

I got this email on Oct. 17 and from the body of email, I found it suspecious since there was no company name and details and when I asked, he sent me the document for Urdu translation.

--------------------
Hello,
How are you and your family ,I have translation task from
English to Urdu let me know if you can help with this task,
waiting to hear from
you soon. Kindly get to me via email
([email protected]

Thank you,
... See more
I got this email on Oct. 17 and from the body of email, I found it suspecious since there was no company name and details and when I asked, he sent me the document for Urdu translation.

--------------------
Hello,
How are you and your family ,I have translation task from
English to Urdu let me know if you can help with this task,
waiting to hear from
you soon. Kindly get to me via email
([email protected]

Thank you,

Alice Knapp

--------------------

Now I wonder, how do they make money out of this?
any idea?
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: Public Organization Procedures Research Phase 1 and 2

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »