Translation requests from a "small management consulting agency with legal residency in Hong-Kong"
Thread poster: Max Jeremiah
Max Jeremiah
Max Jeremiah  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:51
German to English
+ ...
Jul 14, 2021

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could confirm my suspicions regarding multiple requests I have received from an individual who supposedly represents a "small management consulting agency with legal residency in Hong-Kong". The initial request was out of the blue, and his/her email ends with "@tranadvise.com". From quick web research, this website apparently doesn't exist, and an agency/company under this name does not seem to exist either. Also, the way they write is more like a transl
... See more
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could confirm my suspicions regarding multiple requests I have received from an individual who supposedly represents a "small management consulting agency with legal residency in Hong-Kong". The initial request was out of the blue, and his/her email ends with "@tranadvise.com". From quick web research, this website apparently doesn't exist, and an agency/company under this name does not seem to exist either. Also, the way they write is more like a translation agency project manager than someone supposedly from outside the translation industry.

I have exchanged email conversations with them but have not done any work for them as they seem to place "orders" very quickly.

After writing this all out, I'm now certain that this is a scammer, so I suppose this comes as more of a warning. Is there anywhere I can report their email and name?
Collapse

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:51
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Scam or not Jul 14, 2021

I don't think there is enough ground for you to reach the conclusion that this is a scam.

Caroline Durant
Caroline Durant  Identity Verified
Member (2019)
German to English
+ ...
Suspicions Jul 14, 2021

Hi Max,

Your post came up in Google when I was searching for the selfsame "management consulting agency" after receiving an email from them. At this point I'll not bother replying!

Christian Schneider
Christian Schneider  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:51
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Same here ... Jul 16, 2021

I just received the same request. Think I won't reply either!

Manfei Li
Manfei Li
Australia
Local time: 01:51
English to Chinese
Sounds like a scam Jul 19, 2021

Hi Max,

This sounds more like a scam, but I guess a scam will ask you to pay while this one asks you to do their job? Anyway this is suspicious.

Maybe they want you to send your invoice to them so they can get your details to use. I never received email like that but thanks for sharing this warning.

Max Jeremiah
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Manfei Jul 19, 2021

Manfei Li wrote:

Hi Max,

This sounds more like a scam, but I guess a scam will ask you to pay while this one asks you to do their job? Anyway this is suspicious.

Maybe they want you to send your invoice to them so they can get your details to use. I never received email like that but thanks for sharing this warning.

Thanks for your response. They're not asking for money, but I anticipate they will pass my work off as their own and cut communication upon delivery of the translation. I've had that happen to me once about a year ago. It was a relatively small job, but it only takes being burned once to learn!

Evelyna Radoslavova
Evelyna Radoslavova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 08:51
English to French
+ ...
Payment in advance? Too good to be true! Aug 10, 2021

Same individual ([email protected]) addressing me by name, emailing an address which is not publicly available looking to have 14-15,000 words of legal exhibits translated. It sounds fairly legit (if not my ideal client) until the last sentence. Big red flag!

"Could you please let me know if you can help me with this? Additionally, please let me know your rate per word for translation services and how quickly you can translate this volume. I can send you the payment in adv
... See more
Same individual ([email protected]) addressing me by name, emailing an address which is not publicly available looking to have 14-15,000 words of legal exhibits translated. It sounds fairly legit (if not my ideal client) until the last sentence. Big red flag!

"Could you please let me know if you can help me with this? Additionally, please let me know your rate per word for translation services and how quickly you can translate this volume. I can send you the payment in advance to ensure trust. "
Collapse

Ronald van Riet
Ronald van Riet  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
Member (2011)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Paul Boucher still active Feb 9, 2022

I have received the same kind of request, this time for a review of a translation EN-NL for medical devices and the red flag to me is 'payment in advance'

Aniza Borhan
Aniza Borhan  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 23:51
Member (2007)
English to Malay
+ ...
Suspicious too Mar 7, 2022

Hi all,

I received an email from the same person yesterday, the same intro, and there was a file transfer via WeTransfer - files look legit, - contents about the coming Ramadan and diabetes. I have not responded, yet. No "payment in advanced" clause but mentioned payment is TBD. It is kind of frustrating when job offerers don't offer the amount of introduction info that can be used to actually trust them when freelancers like us, normally would have to do that to introduce ourselve
... See more
Hi all,

I received an email from the same person yesterday, the same intro, and there was a file transfer via WeTransfer - files look legit, - contents about the coming Ramadan and diabetes. I have not responded, yet. No "payment in advanced" clause but mentioned payment is TBD. It is kind of frustrating when job offerers don't offer the amount of introduction info that can be used to actually trust them when freelancers like us, normally would have to do that to introduce ourselves to make these people trust us to do a job for them... (sigh!)
Collapse

Max Jeremiah
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Paul Boucher now listed on TSD Mar 11, 2022

I've been contacted again by the same email address with a same-day turnaround project and payment in advance.

I can see that Translator Scammers Directory has recently added these details to their list: http://www.translator-scammers.com/pdf/TSD-Note-0.pdf

Valerie Zwart
Valerie Zwart
United Kingdom
Member (2018)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mr Boucher is still at it Nov/2022 Nov 3, 2022

Firstly, thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. You have just saved me from who knows what. Alarm bells went off when he needlessly mentioned the pre-payment a second time, asking for my bank details, and then said he looking forward to my invoice. I don't know about your clients, but none of mine look forward to paying!! I think it's about using my bank details in a way I wouldn't like... But who knows. Thanks again!

[Edited at 2022-11-03 16:00 GMT]

ROBIN HUMPHREY
ROBIN HUMPHREY
United Kingdom
French to English
Scam, for sure Mar 21

21 March 2024, I received this out of the blue:

"I hope all is good and you are doing well! My name is Paul, and I represent a management consulting agency with legal residency in Hong-Kong. We are providing management consultancy services along with legal consultancy. We sometimes have translation requests for legal-related purposes.

Today, we have a French document that has been translated into English. Now we need to have a notarized copy. Please let me know if thi
... See more
21 March 2024, I received this out of the blue:

"I hope all is good and you are doing well! My name is Paul, and I represent a management consulting agency with legal residency in Hong-Kong. We are providing management consultancy services along with legal consultancy. We sometimes have translation requests for legal-related purposes.

Today, we have a French document that has been translated into English. Now we need to have a notarized copy. Please let me know if this is something you could help us with. Please let us know the cost of work and how long would it take. Many thanks!

Looking forward to your reply.

P.S. Naturally, we will cover the costs in advance.

What a pile of pants that is! Scam? I can smell it a mile off!

Don't bother.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation requests from a "small management consulting agency with legal residency in Hong-Kong"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »