Now I am being a victim of a massive email scam -more than 16 emails in less than 12 hours
Thread poster: Josep Vives (X)
Josep Vives (X)
Josep Vives (X)
Spain
Local time: 22:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 6, 2023

They all have different names, but they all share the same format and links to alleged résumés and files in the Cloud. Obviously I didn't click on any link. Moreover, I have never advertised myself as a job offerer, at least not through proz.

These emails look like: Sender: First name - Second name // Subject: I am a native XX to YY and ZZ

I am writing to blahblah and similar starting formulae. They all look like written by the same person but with different info in
... See more
They all have different names, but they all share the same format and links to alleged résumés and files in the Cloud. Obviously I didn't click on any link. Moreover, I have never advertised myself as a job offerer, at least not through proz.

These emails look like: Sender: First name - Second name // Subject: I am a native XX to YY and ZZ

I am writing to blahblah and similar starting formulae. They all look like written by the same person but with different info in it, and they all contain a link to files like résumés and such.

It's not really a good scam since it was pretty easy to spot something was off there, but anyway I though I should let the community know.
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:56
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You’re not alone! Apr 6, 2023

I have been flooded with CVs for ages. 4 new ones in the last hour, all went directly to the bin…

Dalia Nour
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Dalia Nour
Dalia Nour  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 23:56
Member (2018)
English to Arabic
+ ...
@Maria Apr 6, 2023

I think they are contacting you because of the "Blue Board affiliation" on your profile. So, they are contacting you as a company not as a translator.

Regarding Josep, I didn't find anything shows that he is a company. So, this action is really strange.

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Dahlia Apr 6, 2023

Maybe but although my website and all the platforms and associations I belong to say clearly that I only translate from and into European Portuguese, over the years my inbox has been flooded with CVs from translators all over the world! What’s the point of sending your CV to someone who does not work with your source and target language(s)? Isn’t that a complete waste of time? Curiously enough, some claim having 25 years of experience, shouldn’t they know better?

Teresa

Angie Garbarino
Dalia Nour
Daniel Fernandes
Andriy Yasharov

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Try adding Apr 6, 2023

mailto: to the start of any email addresses you have online.

You can hide your mail address behind a link such as "Get in touch" or "Contact me" with the linked html link mailto:your email address.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
12 emails today here Apr 6, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I have been flooded with CVs for ages. 4 new ones in the last hour, all went directly to the bin…

I receive at least 6-8 emails per day, today record (12 all in the morning) directly in the bin

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
BTW spam not scam Apr 6, 2023

This is spam not scam, I have also received emails like that from people registered here, which name I know.

expressisverbis
Dalia Nour
philgoddard

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:56
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Victim? Apr 6, 2023

Your use of “victim” left an impression that you fell in the trap but apparently you didn't. You are a target, not a victim.

Everybody receives such emails once in a while, and you can just mark those emails as spam.

expressisverbis
Angie Garbarino
Dalia Nour
philgoddard
Goumiri Abdennour

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Easter Apr 9, 2023

It looks like spammers and scammers celebrate Easter! I haven’t received any emails today and yesterday… Hooray!
Easter

Robert Rietvelt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Now I am being a victim of a massive email scam -more than 16 emails in less than 12 hours

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »